Hard to find .22lr magazines?? Looking for suggestions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:25 PM
csspecs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hard to find .22lr magazines?? Looking for suggestions

Hopefully this post is allowed.

Hello, I'm not totally new here.. I'm own a small sheet metal shop that makes firearms magazines among other items.

We have made about two dozen fully original magazines... A lot of stuff for russian import AK pattern guns. My current market of odd caliber import guns is shrinking, and rather than trying to get into the cutthroat market of AR parts, I figured I'd look into rimfire stuff.. Seems like we might be a good fit for the market.

What I'm looking for is a sort of list of magazines or parts that are being looked for, and then I'll try to see what ones are good candidates for manufacturing.

I'm looking for box magazines that:
Cost more than $20
are not currently in production or the current production have issues.
Are 10rd or less in capacity. Preferable 5rd.

Preferably had a reasonably large circulation.. I don't want suggestions of rifles that only had a handful in circulation.

If you know of magazines that are hard to find, list the name of the gun, the round count and the rough current pricing.

My goal is to find about 20-40 good candidates.. It takes us about a month or so to make the tooling for a new magazine, so even a handful of suggestions will keep us busy.
Other calibers are ok, but rimfire and similar are prefered.

Last edited by csspecs; 08-09-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:43 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Start with the Winchester 52 and 69. Five round clips that fit both.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (129)
All the old out of production Mossberg rifles are a hot item.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 07:31 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Marlin A1. They are impossible to find.

Mals
Old 08-09-2019, 07:38 PM
csspecs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Any model numbers of specific interest?

I would prefer to start on a few with decently high demand and work my way down. So more detailed the suggestions would be very helpful.. Many models appear to be totally different, so likely there are some more sought after than others.

I've never been much of a rimfire guy, I've owned a few and fired more than a few cases of .22lr but I'll admit I don't know many of the older firearms that would be the ideal candidates for this list.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazine market

The cost of Colt Woodsman mags has gotten out of hand. Mags for 1st, 2nd and 3rd models would have a fairly large market. The mags for both 2nd and 3rd models are the same with the 2nd models requiring a slot for the button mag release. The Neos mags can be modified to work in the 2nd and 3rd models but I don't know of anything for the 1st (Pre-WWII) models. Also, small 6 rd 22 mags for the Walther TPH auto would be useful!
Old 08-09-2019, 10:03 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
H&K 270 and 300.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:15 PM
csspecs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51guy View Post
The cost of Colt Woodsman mags has gotten out of hand. Mags for 1st, 2nd and 3rd models would have a fairly large market. The mags for both 2nd and 3rd models are the same with the 2nd models requiring a slot for the button mag release. The Neos mags can be modified to work in the 2nd and 3rd models but I don't know of anything for the 1st (Pre-WWII) models. Also, small 6 rd 22 mags for the Walther TPH auto would be useful!
I'm guessing the triple K magazines are not liked?? They are all over Ebay, looks like they are made differently out of two pieces and joined at the sides instead of a single piece joined at the back like the originals.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:30 PM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
Any model numbers of specific interest?
The 140 series rifles would be a good place to start. Also the 340/350 series. There currently are aftermarket mags for those, but they are all 10-rounders, which to some (myself included) spoil the lines and handling of the rifle. The originals were 7 rounds, which is what are very much sought-after and getting crazy prices, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MOSSBE...E/283476464265

One issue with the 340s, though, is that they had a rather complicated adapter mechanism on top that allowed them to be used with short, long, or long rifle cartridges. I'm not sure how much potential buyers would care whether you incoporated that or not. I wouldn't, but some collectors probably would. A lot of the used ones don't come with it anyway -- it has broken and fallen off over the years.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:55 PM
csspecs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are aspects of the original Mossberg magazines and the reproductions that look like they are less than 100% desirable.
The original 140 magazine looks like the floor plate has tabs from the body are bent for retaining it? Looks like that would make cleaning a pain.
But we can duplicate pretty much anything, I just want to be sure to duplicate features not errors.

From the looks of the reproductions they are much thinner on most of the parts.. I know the Romanian trainer magazines triple K makes are very thin. 26 gauge on all parts, the originals are thick 22 gauge.. Like .019" instead of .029", we use .028" because that is what our supplier has.. But at least it is in the neighborhood of the originals.

I never understood that corner cutting, steel is cheap, the thicker stuff behaves better and tolerates hard use better.

Last edited by csspecs; 08-09-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:18 PM
sav99fan
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 922 magazines are climbing high. And Browning A-bolt Rimfire magazines are insane.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:01 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some suggestions

I agree the Winchester 52 /69 Copy the two rib design with the flat follower. The three rib with bent follower don't feed very well.

High standard original slant grip and model B mags are expensive and the triple Ks are junk. Make some quality aftermarket ones with tempered feed lips.

I agree some Old Colt woodsman and Browning medalist 22 pistol mags would sell well.

M1A magazines are expensive. The Korean Contract ones are junk with soft bodies not heat treated like the factory ones. 5 and 10 rounders would be fine. A good cheap stripper clip would be nice also.

Mini 14 magazines. The Masons have fitment and reliability issues. Promags are flimsy and Ruger mags are too expensive. If you make a quality mini 14 mag at a reasonable cost people will buy them. Preferably one with a removable base for cleaning like the factory Ruger 5 round magazine. Pro mags and masons are glued on or molded on. Makes disassembly a pain.

Browning A bolt 22 mags are in demand and well over $50 these days.

Colt Ace 22 conversion magazines that will work with other conversion kits like Marvel.

How about magazines for some of the wide spread military import pistols.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:57 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Along with the Marlin A1 also the Marlin 50 magazines are almost impossible to find. They go for over $150. Only 5000 guns were made but many of the surviving guns have no magazine.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:52 AM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
I'm guessing the triple K magazines are not liked?? They are all over Ebay, looks like they are made differently out of two pieces and joined at the sides instead of a single piece joined at the back like the originals.
the ones i got were really iffy if they

1. fit
2. worked

you can also look at teh Colt ACE mags.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heck you could make anschutz 22 magazines. Very pricy little buggers.