Shotgun ignorant. What does RFC like for home defense? - Page 7 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Did you mean; This is the Shotgun Forum?
Yup! But I thought I might see if he'd czeck, without actually saying it.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No shotgun in my BR

So you are soundly sleeping but the sound of your front door getting kicked in wakes you. You have your pistol and your HD shotgun right there, but the noises tell you there is not time to strap on your holster. You grab the shotgun and rush to intercept the perp before he gets to your kids' BR's.

But the sound of your slide and shouts to the wife to call 911 makes the perp flee out the door. You follow to the door. But now, in his fit of disappointment, the perp is standing at the end of your driveway shooting his high-cap pistol through every wall of your house.

Aren't you glad you grabbed your shotgun? How are those #6's looking now?

With my laser-equipped pistol I can easily hit perp-sized targets at 50 yards, in the dark. I think I'll just stick with it, and not have to lock the shotgun in the safe every morning when I leave.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The original question asked by the op was what "shotgun" would be best for HD, not what firearm. While I agree that a layered defense is best, and my handgun is always the closest to my bed, I still think a shotgun definitely has its place in HD.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:38 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
So you are soundly sleeping but the sound of your front door getting kicked in wakes you. You have your pistol and your HD shotgun right there, but the noises tell you there is not time to strap on your holster. You grab the shotgun and rush to intercept the perp before he gets to your kids' BR's.

But the sound of your slide and shouts to the wife to call 911 makes the perp flee out the door. You follow to the door. But now, in his fit of disappointment, the perp is standing at the end of your driveway shooting his high-cap pistol through every wall of your house.

Aren't you glad you grabbed your shotgun? How are those #6's looking now?

With my laser-equipped pistol I can easily hit perp-sized targets at 50 yards, in the dark. I think I'll just stick with it, and not have to lock the shotgun in the safe every morning when I leave.
Wow, just had to preserve this bit of logic....
Old 08-09-2019, 01:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I'd love to know how easy it is, in the pitch dark, to tell what your laser is hitting....

Old 08-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I'd love to know how easy it is, in the pitch dark, to tell what your laser is hitting....
It's alot easier with a light/laser combo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190215_202737_1565372613135.jpg (190.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 02:05 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
The comments above about layered defense have been particularly helpful. We do have a nice sized dog, and she won't let anything squirrel-sized or larger get near the house without robustly letting everyone know about it. And her bark is different for humans, so you can actually tell -- to some extent -- what she's warning you about. Now, having said that, the biggest danger she poses to humans is their chance of a facial rash from too many kisses, so early warning is about as far as that goes. We also look out for our neighbors and vice versa, which is great.

The kids have multiple ways out of the house (although fire was what was on our minds when we set that up), and a good sense of where to go if there's a problem here, so we have that covered. I was talking with a LEO about this discussion earlier this week, as we were standing at the same counter in the local sportsman's store, and while he praised the shotgun as a tool, his own go-to for home defense is apparently an AR semi-auto. Also, and this is key, he had already made the decision about what to do with a stranger in the house who had ignored his command to leave. I would say that having done the mental preparation to set a pre-determined line, beyond which he was prepared to use force was central to his strategy.

He also strongly advocated a bright light on whatever HD weapon one chooses -- as much for positively identifying one's target as disorienting an intruder. He was agnostic on short-barrelled semi-auto shot-pistol like the Remington VS TAC-13, or a fuller-size pump like an 870 -- instead he was very focused (as many of you are in the comments above) on training and target identification. Thought those of you who responded above would like to know that your comments were echoed by a guy with a lot of training on the subject.

Last edited by flangster; 08-09-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I dont know about you guys but I would take a shotgun over most other long barrel firearms for HD. I have been out bird hunting and had other fellow hunters shoot past me and I was totally surprised that shot came flying past me at about 75 yards away...and if some Son of a Dog was shooting at my house with wife and kids I would have a better chance of one of those pellets hitting him in the eye and make him wish he never ever wants to be any where near my home let alone my town. Try to hide a bunch of welts all over your body from the police and at 75 yards the pattern would hit more of his body...and dodging some one shooting at you is no fun...but just the aim and pull the trigger in his direction has a better chance of hitting him and not put holes in neighbors homes and hurt one of them or one of their cars.

Sorry but this little scenario has hit a nerve with me...but in this case its him VS my family and I will do all I can do the potect us...with a HD Shotgun use can spray the area if need be. It has more knock down power than a pistol does...and if close enough make a bigger hole in them.

Signalman
Old 08-09-2019, 03:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
It's alot easier with a light/laser combo
At 50 yards.....?

Old 08-09-2019, 04:01 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Ah. I have several CF handguns that I shoot regularly. Springfield TRP in .45 ACP, CZ 75 BD in 9mm and so on. And a revolver or two (.38 Special, .357 etc.) I don't generally do timed drills, but I am confident that I can hit what I am aiming at within 15-30 yards. However, I only started shooting about six years ago, and just have no experience with a shotgun. So I asked the question as a way of tapping into the community of more experienced shooters here at RFC. And you can see from the comments above that folks have responded with their usual generosity -- sharing their knowledge and opinions.

When I started shooting it was with a .22, and I built myself a backstop out of 3/4 plywood -- I was amazed to see the humble .22 LR bullet go right through four sheets of that stuff stacked, hardly pausing. Quite apart from the RFC (and elsewhere) debate about the suitability of .22 LR for home defense, I would be very, very reluctant to do home defense with a round that penetrates what our house is made of so easily. We've got kids and pets, and I don't have x-ray vision. So I started thinking in general terms about solving the penetration problem. Although I am reluctant to take any Internet-info without a serious fact-check, RFC is a good place to start. I have a lot of respect for the practical experience of the RFC-hive mind.

Still not sure a scattergun is for me, but the thread has been very helpful so far.
My wife has an SR22 in her night stand but her go to is a S&W 15-22. It is what she can handle due to some health issues and she is very good with it. We shoot 1/2 size silhouettes from 3 to 30 yards offhand. Someone coming at her would have a lot of small holes in their chest. I got the 410 with her in mind but she is not interested. Still too much weight for her. I got to really like the 410. It is interesting and fun to shoot. A lot more gun than most people think. People think the Taurus Judge is a good defense weapon but the 410 loads are a lot more effective in a shotgun.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:03 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Laser/light combo's...

I have built several of these.. used different lasers on each one.. all are fantastic out to 40 yds.. punishing as H### on both ends of em' But I would prefer being on the grip end

500 Lumen torch in dim lit room.. 12 yds. - and at that distance the #4 Buck patterns about 1/2 the size of the lit area...approx. 10-12 inches.

Last edited by Chaser; 08-09-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:29 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This post has wandered a bit here and there. Going back and reviewing Flagster's original post. He is not a gun expert and has little experience. Shooting a shotgun without a stock is not something I would suggest. That's more of an expert weapon. Lights, lasers, etc, etc are great but a novice needs simple! Too many bells and whistles may be a distraction getting a shotgun into action.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:13 PM
legBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you need a pistol, grab a pistol. When you need a shotgun, grab a shotgun. When you need a rifle, grab a rifle. When you are not sure, grab a carbine.

Back to topic. A reliable pump shotgun is my go to for home defense. Loaded with 00 buck, a light, and a side saddle. Need to put a close fitting sling on it.

Pump = no bang then rack it.
00 buck = penetration.
Side saddle = slugs if longer distance.
Light = I can see and identify the target.
Sling = if I have to move.

I have no designs or intent to shoot anyone. But I am prepared.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:17 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmac View Post
...Shotguns are, in my opinion, the quickest way to make something dead. Especially up close. I might even go out on a limb and say they are the deadliest small arm in existance (smg's notwithstanding), as far as survivability. ...

Mac
I agree 100%. A shotgun with buckshot is simply viscous.

I don't find a short shotgun to lack maneuverability for close quarters. They are plenty short unless someone is clearing closets.

Also IME, I don't see a need for a gun like that to be on the shoulder in order to hit a close target.

Last edited by I6turbo; 08-09-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Well, first, it is seldom "pitch dark," especially when someone is shooting at you. Second, when it is very dark, my green laser lights up things well enough for me to identify the shooter.

S-man - hitting him in the eye with a pellet at 75 yards. I have an experiment for you. Hang a clay target from a tree limb and shoot at it with a shotgun at 75 yards. Pick any shot size you want. Let me know how many shots it took you to hit it.