Making sawdust - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Use some canvas straps to hold the lid from stressing the hinges.

Some grommets, brass wood screw and a washer.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Namboonie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
Some notes...

the whole box is made using 12mm (~1/2") Baltic Birch plywood. Im sure if you want to make it lighter you can. They do make various thickness like 1/8, 1/4 & 3/8 but in mm thickness.

I wanted to keep all of the wood the same thickness so making it would be easier.

but i weighed the case for my M1 Garand inside open length of 44.5" and it weighs ~20 lbs using my travel scale. that is w/o rifle.
That's not bad at all. Very manageable. Good job.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:18 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Much like your workmanship!

I've used some Baltic birch designed for concrete forms for projects in the past and been very pleased with its strength and longitivity in some outdoor environs. IIRC, its trade name was Nova Ply for one and Fin Form for the other. Expensive, but great stuff for some applications. I'm thinking its what you used for case material as it sounds very familiar to both of those products.

Really nice job! And I like your selection of hardware as well.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:01 AM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
Use some canvas straps to hold the lid from stressing the hinges.

Some grommets, brass wood screw and a washer.

i may do that, but for now the hinges are take apart hinges. I like them once i discovered them on the ammo cans.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:04 AM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
Much like your workmanship!

I've used some Baltic birch designed for concrete forms for projects in the past and been very pleased with its strength and longitivity in some outdoor environs. IIRC, its trade name was Nova Ply for one and Fin Form for the other. Expensive, but great stuff for some applications. I'm thinking its what you used for case material as it sounds very familiar to both of those products.

Really nice job! And I like your selection of hardware as well.
the workmanship is ok. Not the best, but i wasnt going for "perfect". I found out after cutting the boards was that my fence had a WOW in it. Cutting about 4 ft of board, i had about 3/16 total difference. The long boards were shapped like a smile. I didnt notice this till i set them side by side to varnish. Since i had them cut already, i just used what i had. Im going to try and fix that WOW soon.

that must have been some expensive forms?

Ive read about the BB for a while, but this the first time ive used it. The local wood supply shop has it as "baltic birch". Ive used the Lowes/HD wood veneers plywood before. years ago, it was good in the fact it didnt splinter when cut, but now it splinters like crazy.

yes, the hardware was sort of diffiult to decide. I was going to try and do it all period WWII but i wanted a bit more modern too. i was going to use rope end handles, but changed my mind. overall it worked out for what i wanted.

Last edited by bangbang; 07-24-2019 at 01:09 AM.