Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:24 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
I really enjoy shooting the old rifles as well. I would also love to see some of the homemade bipod used. I have been thinking about building one for use on the bench.
I don't have a picture handy of mine, but hopefully Jorge doesn't mind me posting this pic of one of his guns with his bipod.

Suhl

It's an old Suhl that had the stock redone. He sent me the picture to show it all finished up. In the pic, you'll see his homemade bipod. He made one for me a few years ago and I've messed with it a time or two but was too in love with the fancy rests. Now that all of that stuff is in the past, I just shoot off the bipod.

Maybe George will post a picture of his custom Falcon with the bipod attached. Beautiful rifle and when he's got it going well, he's a handful with that thing! Has beat me too many times to count.

Kenny
Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 AM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
My Falcon with my fabricated ( homemade sounds cheap) bi-pod

The one I fabricated for Kenny.

It took me several years to convert Kenny to bi-pod use and give up the rest habit

There are a few reasons I shoot off a bi-pod, first is 80% of the matches I attend, it is all that is allowed. Second is I don't have to lug a 30+ pound rest around with me to other matches, mine fits in the range bag. Third, I get a good bit of satisfaction when I shoot a really good target, knowing I had something to do with it, other than the ammo and equipment.

Last edited by 52DH&R12; 07-23-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:48 AM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All the guys giving advice in this thread have been there and done that. They give great advice that will cut alot of time off of trying to find what works.
Todd

Old 07-23-2019, 01:42 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Now you've reminded me I was going to mess about with a bench height bipod this year.....and its already past mid-July I did get the 'clone' version of the Harris shorty off Amazon last year and played with it just enough to realize I had more to learn (much more....) but it was cheap and easy enough to give a go to see if I wanted to go deeper into my wallet. Where I left off was promising.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:23 AM
justinp61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What rear bag are you guys using? Is there one style that works better? As I mentioned I have a cheap Caldwell that appears to be filled with corn cobb or something similar.

I don't know if I'm using it right but I slide it back and forth as needed then squeeze it to fine tune.

George, that Falcon is in some pretty wood.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:31 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Protector large, rabbit ear, sand filled firm.
Soft, light filler stuff carries easier, that is its virtue, perhaps only one?
Some of us don't like the bottom of the stock to be in the bottom of the V of the rabbit ears.
And, imo, the squeezing of the rear changes not only the elev. for the 'fine tune' but adds to inconsistency.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:31 PM
graycrait
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I want to chime in here. Where can a fella get a one piece "Y" bipod that will link up with a Kimber 82G.

My much younger shooting buddy has fallen in with some great rifle builders and shooters so he has stepped in deep with a superb rifle and got a custom built rifle and custom one piece rest to boot. Me on the other hand went "cheap" on my first and last target .22, a Kimber 82g. Fortunately it has already been tuned up with 6oz trigger (about 4.5oz too heavy compared to many), nice crown, professional bedding and shoots pretty well. Having never seen an ARA target before or ever shot off the bench like that using a two-piece I shot a 1950 on my first and only card with SK Pistol Match.

I already realize many things I did wrong and will have to work on developing a solid routine. Reading the wind is one of them.

My shooting buddy is letting me trade into his Bald Eagle front rest but these simple "Y" shape bipods intrigue me to no end.

Is there a commercial variant to the ones pictured? I am not interested in Harris or its clones, I have those for my other .22s. I just want to watch my friends shoot great with all there custom gear and when it is my turn go up to the bench, set up and get on with it without a lot of fuss. Also, I am not going to "chase" ammo, whether it be Lapua or Eley lots. Although I might consider a tunner and mid barrel tuner if they seemed to help.

Last edited by graycrait; 07-25-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: change
Old 07-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Okietrader

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
I shoot some local fun benchrest matches, these are generally older rifles, 37's, 52's, 40X's and such, we also shoot sporters. We shoot aperture sight and scope matches, no one piece rest, front rest and rear bag only.

This is all pretty new to me as I purchased my first 52 in late April and now have four, two D's a E and a Miroku sporter. My rest is a cast iron Bald Eagle and I use a Caldwell rear bag. As a general rule we all shoot cheaper ammo like SK Standard Plus. For scope matches I have Weaver 24X's and use Redfield Palma, International MK8 rears and International fronts for the aperture matches. For the sporter matches we generally shoot 8X scopes.

I see lots of advice on shooting from one piece rests but seldom see anything on old school aperture sight shooting or shooting off a rest and bag. So if you shoot or have shot the "old school" style benchrest and have some pointers please post them up.

Justin
I grew up shooting iron sights on a 52D club gun. Eraned my distinguished expert at 17, I'm 65 now. I shoot it now in club benchrest matches. I might suggest trying colored inserts for your front aperture with a hole large enough to give you some space around your black target. Also make sure you're wearing an accurate prescription pair of eye glasses. I had a pair made with distance in the right lens and reading in the left. That way I can see to shoot as well as make adjustments with the reading lens. Good luck! Oh, I like the pink front aperature. I have Redfield International sights and got the aperature from either Champion Shooters or Champion's Choice...
Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 AM
blades

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i shoot a bsa martini in the local fun matches- course as far as br is concerned everything about this rifle is wrong. other than a forend plate and the scope on top it is stock. does right well when I do my part and sure makes life a bit miserable for some others (snicker). oh I have 52's 40x, Anny's as well. its just so much more fun with this old girl . original Seb or Farley rest up front eared bag in back. play with the air rifle br game as well. So I have lotsa worms crawling all over the place.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:43 AM
pathfinder1cav

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used to shoot a lot of old school position matches when I was younger & Okie is right about the colored front aperture. I never tried pink, but depending on light conditions went from almost clear, usually yellow & sometimes orange.

I now run a weekly "New School" (any front rest, scope)local benchrest match. We do not allow rear bags to throw a LITTLE shooter skill into it. Usually shoot 40-50 shots at very small (flies, ants etc.) targets from 30-40Y. We also have some interesting ones trying to shoot an apple off a head, a pipe in the mouth etc. that can get you negative points if you hit the head! We then move out for about 10-20 shots at 100Y bulls eyes.

A lot of fun- kind of like going for coffee with the guys, but pulling a trigger.

A lot of different rifles & ammo have been tried and usually the high dollar rifle & scope combo with expensive match ammo has a advantage. But, last week a Savage FV-SR on a Caldwell bipod using a cheap $45 Walmart Centerpoint scope and CCI-sv won it! We usually have a little wind here, so breaking the shot in the right direction for the wind is more important than equipment.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:19 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the pointers Okietrader . I shoot both clear and the plastic bar type (with the hole in the center) front inserts and like larger aperture size. Currently I don't shoot with my glasses on but will give it a try.

Do you like the colored inserts because of the contrast with the target?

Justin
Old 07-26-2019, 11:23 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
Thanks for the pointers Okietrader . I shoot both clear and the plastic bar type (with the hole in the center) front inserts and like larger aperture size. Currently I don't shoot with my glasses on but will give it a try.

Do you like the colored inserts because of the contrast with the target?

Justin
Actually, the color just helps with the lighting conditions for the time you're shooting. If you can get that front "ring" nice and crisp, you're going to shoot better.

I originally played with the colored inserts, but found it easier to just use something like this:

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ions&item=9565

Saves the hassle of changing front inserts/filters.

But then, I use adjustable fronts too:

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ions&item=9743

These screw into existing front globes. You can buy complete fronts that either clamp onto the front sight block or mount to the existing grooves in some of the Anschutz barrels.

Note: This front is 18mm and that's fine if you want. But would recommend 22 mm fronts, especially if you use any bloop or sight extension.

But again, use what you wish. I kind of took the aperture shooting seriously so was always looking for the best setup I could find. Hence, the fancy Euro accessories and later the more upscale sights themselves.

Personally I always liked the Palma rear sight over the Olympic or International (even the 1/8 adj International). Main reason being, I could screw an adjustable Euro rear Iris straight into the Palma vs having to use an adaptor to mount the same Iris on an Olympic or International sight. Of course if you use an Anschutz, Centra or other Euro type of rear sight you'll be ok. Of all of them, I like the 1/8 min click Anschutz 7020 sight:

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ns&item=000968

Later I found the Phoenix sight and went with that. Love those sights! There are other options too, just have to decide how deep you want to jump into this.

Good luck. Shooting apertures is by far the most fun thing I've ever done with a rifle.

Kenny

Edit: The Kimber 82G factory sights take any of the Euro accessories. The front globe accepts 18mm screw in sights and the rear will allow any Euro rear Iris. One other note is that if you do use adjustable fronts, make sure you order the correct one. They come in different range settings. Some people like to shoot at the lower settings, some at higher settings. Get one that has the settings you're comfortable using.

Last edited by kseatm; 07-26-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:14 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Kenny.
The 52E I recently bought came with a MK8, the sight has a four color filter and an adjustable iris. I have no idea who made the iris as there are no markings. The eye piece screws on to it and is made of brass and has two spanner nuts on the inside plus a gasket.

I shot the rifle with the MK8 but changed it out to one of the Palmas I have with a Gehman adjustable iris that I use on my Feinwerkbau air rifles.

We shot apertures Wednesday night, I shot the E and finished tied for first. As I mentioned in my first post in this thread these are just for fun. We shoot the rifles, and the breeze with some picking and aggravating along the way.

Next week we're shooting sporters with 8X max magnification at 50 yards on A-17 targets. I shot my Browning 52 today and it really hurt my feelings. I'm beginning to wonder if it'll ever like me. LOL
Old 07-27-2019, 10:23 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure how old school this is, but here is picture of my ranges USBR match from last month.

We have 2 divisions, Match and Sport. The above photo is of the Match division.
Besides new and old Anschutz rifles, we have/had Win 52's, Rem 40X's, a Shul, and several other older target rifles.

However our match does not allow for any kind of mechanical front rest. Also no tuners.
Must be shot off a front bag of any type, or a Bi-pod.
Rear bags are allowed.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-27-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:16 PM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is not always the rifle, just as it is not always the shooter... or the ammo!

I have a 1950s' Martini in .22 l.r., and a pre WWII Savage, both of which will often outshoot more modern match grade and custom built .22 rifles, when using the same higher grade ammo in both.

Sometimes, however, I admit to experience a total failure to hit the bullseye, but that is due to my body failing, not the rifles or ammo.

I prefer to shoot prone, or bench, supported by arms, not bag or bipod, the way we always shot matches 40~50 years ago, which shows the shooters ability to handle the firearm, not the mechanical support.

I notice, however, that I am getting to the point where a bipod is becoming a necessity outside of hunting, where I have long preferred to shoot from bipods anywhere that was not wooded areas.