Izhmash BD2 Biatholon Basic. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:26 PM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Izhmash BD2 Biatholon Basic.

Worth getting one for sale on RC classifieds,more accurate than Tikka?Magazine scarcity may be a deal breaker for me,is the trigger adjustable,is this model the bargain basement model?Are the other models the same in barrel and trigger,weight etc. Need some help please,not much online. THX
Old 07-22-2019, 05:36 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Price is a bit over what you might find on for, but it is brand new. I have picked up both new and used before and the constancy/accuracy has been the same. It is nice to get one brand spanking new though. 5 round mags are still available from biathlon shops and there is a mod for Marlin 10round mags. The trigger is adjustable to about as light as you like. Never shot a Tikka before, but had mine at an indoor 100yd range testing ammo and shot dang near a 4round cloverleaf with Eley subs which surprised the heck out of me.
It matters what you want from the rifle. I you are looking to shoot it regularly and enjoy it, I recommend to go for it. Itís a question of time- is that extra $100 perceived premium worth the time it would take to possibly catch a cheaper used one on gunbroker? My opinion- no, I would go for it. If you just want it for occasional use and to keep in the gun cabinet, I would pass.
I will say that from the first time I shot one, I have not picked up my 10/22 with Kidd trigger & legacy stock. But I got mine specifically as a suppressor host and IMHO they are superb for that purpose. I use mine daily for fun and as a precision critter gitter. The stock is very plain, but itís pretty straightforward to mod a 10/22 stock.
If you do Ďpull the triggerí on it and would like extra 5rnd mags, send me a PM as I will be putting in an order to Larsen for a few other bits. If you would like to share notes on upgrades and mods, let me know. Been playing with them for some years now and for my purposes, it is the best .22 rifle for the buck. And donít sweat the lack of spare parts issue. These things are built tough as nails and very simple.

Last edited by Gobber; 07-22-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:18 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
Worth getting one for sale on RC classifieds,more accurate than Tikka?Magazine scarcity may be a deal breaker for me,is the trigger adjustable,is this model the bargain basement model?Are the other models the same in barrel and trigger,weight etc. Need some help please,not much online. THX

ohlongarm--- You indicated you need help, so here goes: It depends just how badly you want one... As Gobber indicated, TP price is a little high, but it IS BNIB. So it MIGHT be worth the premium, only you can decide that. I've been there and done that (paid a premium) so it is a personal choice for sure. As far as the magazines, it's not clear (at least to me) if there is only ONE mag included with the rifle for sale. These were generally shipped (BNIB) with TWO mags, so you may want to check with the seller on that. They can be a little difficult to source. A factory mag will run $40 or so IF you can find one, so factor that into the price as well.

As far as the trigger (this is a BB 7-2 model) it is a two-stage, it IS adjustable but be aware it is NOT a simple task to do so. Most 7-2 triggers are fine right out of the box, but if you are not happy with it, be advised the trigger must be at least partially disassembled to effect a pull weight change, and it is somewhat of a PIA. The sear engagement adjustment (if needed) is a little easier to access, but even THAT requires removal of the safety mechanism to do. The 7-4 model, on the other hand, has an upgraded, slightly different trigger, is completely adjustable, and has easy access to these adjustments.

One other thing worth mentioning---if you plan on scoping the rifle, to really do it RIGHT requires purchase and installation (drill and tap receiver) of a full-length rail. That is a generally a $100-150 investment. The problem is with eye relief. It IS possible to scope the rifle (without installing a full-length rail) using an extended ring set that allows you to get the scope as far forward as possible, given the factory rail is VERY short and limits your available eye relief and ring/scope options.

Having said all that (probably TMI), these are fun rifles and very enjoyable to shoot. Generally are VERY accurate, the triggers are amazing when properly adjusted, and these rifles can hold their own (accuracy wise) against those costing hundreds more. I have two of the 7-2's (what does THAT tell you), one is setup for CMP Rimfire Sporter matches and the other for more general shooting activities. I am very happy with both. If you do purchase one, I think you will like it is well.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:28 AM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post

ohlongarm--- You indicated you need help, so here goes: It depends just how badly you want one... As Gobber indicated, TP price is a little high, but it IS BNIB. So it MIGHT be worth the premium, only you can decide that. I've been there and done that (paid a premium) so it is a personal choice for sure. As far as the magazines, it's not clear (at least to me) if there is only ONE mag included with the rifle for sale. These were generally shipped (BNIB) with TWO mags, so you may want to check with the seller on that. They can be a little difficult to source. A factory mag will run $40 or so IF you can find one, so factor that into the price as well.

As far as the trigger (this is a BB 7-2 model) it is a two-stage, it IS adjustable but be aware it is NOT a simple task to do so. Most 7-2 triggers are fine right out of the box, but if you are not happy with it, be advised the trigger must be at least partially disassembled to effect a pull weight change, and it is somewhat of a PIA. The sear engagement adjustment (if needed) is a little easier to access, but even THAT requires removal of the safety mechanism to do. The 7-4 model, on the other hand, has an upgraded, slightly different trigger, is completely adjustable, and has easy access to these adjustments.

One other thing worth mentioning---if you plan on scoping the rifle, to really do it RIGHT requires purchase and installation (drill and tap receiver) of a full-length rail. That is a generally a $100-150 investment. The problem is with eye relief. It IS possible to scope the rifle (without installing a full-length rail) using an extended ring set that allows you to get the scope as far forward as possible, given the factory rail is VERY short and limits your available eye relief and ring/scope options.

Having said all that (probably TMI), these are fun rifles and very enjoyable to shoot. Generally are VERY accurate, the triggers are amazing when properly adjusted, and these rifles can hold their own (accuracy wise) against those costing hundreds more. I have two of the 7-2's (what does THAT tell you), one is setup for CMP Rimfire Sporter matches and the other for more general shooting activities. I am very happy with both. If you do purchase one, I think you will like it is well.
Is yours the same model as listed in classifieds,BD2 Biatholon Basic,THX
Old 07-22-2019, 10:30 AM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobber View Post
Price is a bit over what you might find on for, but it is brand new. I have picked up both new and used before and the constancy/accuracy has been the same. It is nice to get one brand spanking new though. 5 round mags are still available from biathlon shops and there is a mod for Marlin 10round mags. The trigger is adjustable to about as light as you like. Never shot a Tikka before, but had mine at an indoor 100yd range testing ammo and shot dang near a 4round cloverleaf with Eley subs which surprised the heck out of me.
It matters what you want from the rifle. I you are looking to shoot it regularly and enjoy it, I recommend to go for it. Itís a question of time- is that extra $100 perceived premium worth the time it would take to possibly catch a cheaper used one on gunbroker? My opinion- no, I would go for it. If you just want it for occasional use and to keep in the gun cabinet, I would pass.
I will say that from the first time I shot one, I have not picked up my 10/22 with Kidd trigger & legacy stock. But I got mine specifically as a suppressor host and IMHO they are superb for that purpose. I use mine daily for fun and as a precision critter gitter. The stock is very plain, but itís pretty straightforward to mod a 10/22 stock.
If you do Ďpull the triggerí on it and would like extra 5rnd mags, send me a PM as I will be putting in an order to Larsen for a few other bits. If you would like to share notes on upgrades and mods, let me know. Been playing with them for some years now and for my purposes, it is the best .22 rifle for the buck. And donít sweat the lack of spare parts issue. These things are built tough as nails and very simple.
Will do i'd need three anyway,who does the mods on the Marlin mags,THX Sir.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm;11551373[B
]Is yours the same model as listed in classifieds,BD2 Biatholon Basic,THX[/B]
ohlgarm--- Not familiar with a BD2 designation?? The rifle pictured in the TP certainly appears to a BB (Biathlon Basic) 7-2 model. And yes, that is the model that I have (BB 7-2), and to which the previous descriptors/comments I posted are applicable.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:20 PM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
ohlgarm--- Not familiar with a BD2 designation?? The rifle pictured in the TP certainly appears to a BB (Biathlon Basic) 7-2 model. And yes, that is the model that I have (BB 7-2), and to which the previous descriptors/comments I posted are applicable.
So the bd2 and the b172ko are the same rifle assuming? ThX
Old 07-23-2019, 06:15 AM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
So the bd2 and the b172ko are the same rifle assuming? ThX

Where did you get the BD2 or b172ko designations? I have not heard of those... I'm 99.9% sure the rifle currently for sale on RFC's Trading Post is an Izhmash BB (Biathlon Basic) model 7-2KO.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:43 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the price is fair, I have two NIB and they both came with two five round magazines. I bought another from GunBroker just because it had 5 ten round magazines which are nearly impossible to find which is the gun in my chassis. . My fourth is the first one I bought which is threaded and will be my Son's PRS gun for next year and luckily I ended up with another 5 and 10 round magazines.

Incredible accuracy, slickest smoothest fastest action I've ever cycled in a rimfire with bolt action action durability. I had Joe Updike at Accurate Rifle Systems inlet his tactical chassis for me and started shooting local PRS Rimfire matches. It gets a lot of attention when you start cycling thru the rounds so smoothly.

I have a 3-15 SWFA with the discontinued DM reticle which is great for this type of competition. The original wood stock wasn't bad but the new chassis really turned it into a good fitting perfect rimfire rifle for my Son and I. Can't wait to get another chassis for Chris gun.

I'm presently shooting cheap Geco Rifle which is made by RWS and all my Russian guns love it, have never had a misfire or what I consider a dropped round like I get with other higher mid priced ammo. It may not have quite as tiny a cluster but without the dropped rounds it works better for us on PRS sized targets even out beyond 300 yards.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 07-29-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:26 PM
gpkon66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like the chassis! Thinking about getting one for mine. How is the weight for matches? Does it balance well?
Old 08-02-2019, 10:14 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really like it. Haven't found a way to get a good sling fastening location yet but have made a couple mods which helped. Working on a new trigger guard that also incoporates a beveled mag well, will give it to Joe when finished so he can incorporate it on his next run. Really improved the feel and usability of the gun. Not sure about the weight, I kinda like a bit heavier gun, just seems to be more stable on the bench and those awkward PRS positions.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 08-18-2019 at 05:03 PM.