Squirrel gun stocks? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:36 AM
ohiohunter2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrel gun stocks?

I recently purchased a Savage Mark II Heavy Barrel with accu trigger as my primary squirrel gun. I shoot the plastic stock okay, but really thinking about getting something with a better cheek rest. Maybe a Boyds rimfire stock, but I am worried it will be too heavy for trekking around the woods? Any suggestions?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:16 PM
koonta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm down to one plastic, I prefer the weight of wood for a steady rest. Of coarse plastic is more forgiving about scratches but that hasn't been a problem either.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:48 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boyds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohunter2019 View Post
I recently purchased a Savage Mark II Heavy Barrel with accu trigger as my primary squirrel gun. I shoot the plastic stock okay, but really thinking about getting something with a better cheek rest. Maybe a Boyds rimfire stock, but I am worried it will be too heavy for trekking around the woods? Any suggestions?
I have four rimfires with boyds laminated stocks:

1.) Sav 93R in 17hmr that came from the factory in the stock used as all purpose rifle.
2.) Sav B-mag in 17WSM that I swapped into a beautiful forest green stock that just made that rifle. I use it mostly on coyote and groundhogs
3.) MkII in 22lr with the thumbhole stock that I use for long rang precision matches (came that way used)
4.) MkII in 17 Mach2 which I swapped into a stock just like the other MkII and use for sniping squirrels.

Couple of observations: The HB sav is not a light weight rifle and can be a pig to lug around. The Boyds stock does add about 1/2 or 1 lb to the load but turns a cheap looking toy rifle into a real hunting/target rifle. I get compliments all the time from shooters who think my rifles are custom rigs. Some of the Boyds stocks work better than others. I will post a few pics for you.

Irish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sav 17M2.jpg (294.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 17WSMc.jpg (121.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg Sq2 rifles.jpg (495.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Stage 9.jpg (359.9 KB, 12 views)

Old 07-19-2019, 04:58 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weight is a legitimate concern when toting it around the squirrel woods. I bought a Ruger 10/22 with heavy target barrel for squirrels. Carried it for 2 years and finally realized I prefer my lighter rifles (I have 4 other squirrel rifles.). The thing is I learned a lot in that process, enjoyed myself, and eventually sold the 10/22 for not much less than I paid for it. I say go for the Boyd stock. It's a bunch of fun to experiment.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:19 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
The older I get, the lighter I want my rifle to be. Before long I'll probably be toting a cricket.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:28 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have heavy rifles that are safe queens since I started hunting with my Savage BMAG .17 WSM. It has the skinny barrel and plastic stock. It shoots great and the rifle weighs less than 4 1/2 pounds.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:32 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I also prefer the feel of wood, especially real walnut. I do have a 77/22 with fiber stock. Its a late model and I find I don't feel like I have to baby it in the woods.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:34 AM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
The older I get, the lighter I want my rifle to be. Before long I'll probably be toting a cricket.

I've still got a couple of "full-sized" rifles, but my current favorites are CZ Scouts (although I did a stock swap on one of the 455 Scouts, and put Beartooth Cheekpieces on the other 455 and the 452 Scouts.

Oddly enough, all three of the little kid's rifles shoot better than the full-sized 452 and 455 I have, in fact, they are my most accurate .22 rifles.

Before you go Cricket, try a Scout.........................
Old 07-22-2019, 01:36 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Is that scout available left handed? If I had the money I'd get a left handed Browning Tbolt sporter, they are very light.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:41 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, Sarge, they aren't available in LH, as far as I know.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:46 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My main squirrel rifle has a laminate revolution classic from stocky's. It weighs right under two lbs and is stiff as a board. (pun intended) I really like it.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrel Rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
I have heavy rifles that are safe queens since I started hunting with my Savage BMAG .17 WSM. It has the skinny barrel and plastic stock. It shoots great and the rifle weighs less than 4 1/2 pounds.
I agree. The light weight Bmag is a very under rated killer in the woods. Even with the Boyds stock and a fairly heavy scope, the whole package is under 6 lbs. Most of my HB rifles are well over 8.5 lbs. My Bmag has the best cold bore shot accuracy of any rimfire I own and is dead on when cold. That is a great advantage for a hunter. But is flat tears up the game. A head shot means there will be no head. I still hunt with it some but have been using my 17 mach2 the most lately. It is just as accurate inside 100y and not quite so destructive.

The good thing about the light weight Bmag is that people got it in their heads that it was not accurate and they give those things away. I am thinking about buying another one, lol.

Irish
Old 07-26-2019, 04:24 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well said, Irish!