ModShot Chassis - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
ModShot Chassis

I have looked and searched and cannot find any info on RimfireCentral about this chassis. Does anyone have one or any experience with it. I am considering it for a build. Volquartsen is using it for one of their rifles, but my plan would be to put a KIDD build in it for steel challenge.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png download.png (2.7 KB, 142 views)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a lot of money but what are you getting for it?
Old 07-21-2019, 11:47 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look closer at the VQ I don't think they are the same. PMACA is 1/4 the price and the light weight is 12oz + but stock and a known good supplier.

Edit They sell that one but the one on there built rifle doesn't look like the modshot.

Last edited by JHB51; 07-21-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Quick1

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
That's a lot of money but what are you getting for it?
Wanting to build a lightweight steel challenge rifle. Having a hard time finding individual parts I like, this looked like a good complete option. It is pricey, but when compared to a pieced together option with chassis, pistol grip, fore-grip, butt stock...it was not bad.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:03 PM
Quick1

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB51 View Post
Look closer at the VQ I don't think they are the same. PMACA is 1/4 the price and the light weight is 12oz + but stock and a known good supplier.

Edit They sell that one but the one on there built rifle doesn't look like the modshot.
I am also considering PMACA and the new KIDD chassis. Trying to look at all options before moving forward. Was hoping someone had one that could tell me if they liked it or hated it.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Something to consider is the front hand grip on the modshot depending how hot the barrel gets it could get toasty.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:10 AM
S1loki
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
just my thoughts...

If I was doing a build from the ground up using a KIDD receiver. KIDD's chassis would be the way to go. I like how the design flows.

Being as since I am an owner of multiple PMACA chassis, I kinda favor it due to my personal experience. I have modded one of their take-down fore ends to accept the Magpul Optic Mount

Looking at the ModShot, I see things that would get changed. So at its price point. Its a no brainer to go with one of the others. Then build it up using known "other" parts to me.

Will the ModShot work for you? Is the length of pull correct? Will it need to have a cheek riser added for proper sight alignment. Wether using open or an optic. Things to consider.

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1loki View Post
just my thoughts...

If I was doing a build from the ground up using a KIDD receiver. KIDD's chassis would be the way to go. I like how the design flows.

Being as since I am an owner of multiple PMACA chassis, I kinda favor it due to my personal experience. I have modded one of their take-down fore ends to accept the Magpul Optic Mount

Looking at the ModShot, I see things that would get changed. So at its price point. Its a no brainer to go with one of the others. Then build it up using known "other" parts to me.

Will the ModShot work for you? Is the length of pull correct? Will it need to have a cheek riser added for proper sight alignment. Wether using open or an optic. Things to consider.

Just my thoughts.
problem is the tube is proprietary, so the only thing you could change (without redesigning the entire thing) is the pistol grip..otherwise it is what it is
Old 07-22-2019, 09:48 AM
Quick1

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
just my thoughts...

Just my thoughts.
Hi S1loki, thanks for your thoughts. In line with your comments, my original plan was to use the KIDD chassis, I really like it and it is actually slightly lighter and and longer than the PMACA (according to both websites) which I like.

My only issue with the KIDD is I have been unable to find a lightweight butt stock I really like for this rifle, hence my post in another part of the forum asking for recommendations on lightweight butt stocks. If you have a recommendation I am all ears.

I think I will end up going with the KIDD, just wanted to ensure I am looking at all options before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2019, 09:50 AM
Quick1

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
problem is the tube is proprietary, so the only thing you could change (without redesigning the entire thing) is the pistol grip..otherwise it is what it is
crackedcornish, you are correct, I do not think anything can be changed on the ModShot, I think even the pistol grip is proprietary. It comes the way it comes and that is it.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
crackedcornish, you are correct, I do not think anything can be changed on the ModShot, I think even the pistol grip is proprietary. It comes the way it comes and that is it.
a cut and paste from their website FAQ says:

Can I purchase a ModShot Chassis separately and use an AR buffer tube or buttstock?

-Modshot stocks are sold complete and are not compatible with other types of furniture. The ModShot carbon fiber buttstock tube is a smaller diameter tube than an AR buffer tube and uses a different threaded insert. The Modshot design goal was to achieve superior ergonomic fit and lightest possible weight through its minimalist design. As a 10/22 style rifle does not use a buffer tube or mechanism, a smaller diameter carbon buttstock was designed to provide strength and rigidity but reduce weight as compared to that of AR style furniture. The chassis does accept standard AR style grips such as the Magpul MOE-K or Hogue 15 degree polymer grips.

so it looks to me like it does use a standard (and replaceable) AR style pistol grip
Old 07-22-2019, 01:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I still don't see a real weight gain by the time you would get it ready to shoot.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:35 PM
S1loki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Quote:
just my thoughts...

Just my thoughts.
Hi S1loki, thanks for your thoughts. In line with your comments, my original plan was to use the KIDD chassis, I really like it and it is actually slightly lighter and and longer than the PMACA (according to both websites) which I like.

My only issue with the KIDD is I have been unable to find a lightweight butt stock I really like for this rifle, hence my post in another part of the forum asking for recommendations on lightweight butt stocks. If you have a recommendation I am all ears.

I think I will end up going with the KIDD, just wanted to ensure I am looking at all options before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
This is the way I went. I ended up modding a standard adjustable buffer tube. Took it across my mill, removing all the unnecessary adjustment rail. Only left enough to keep the but plate from being able to rotate.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:38 PM
S1loki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The current set-up ways just 5.3lbs unloaded. The only drawback, its a moot point for me though. Is you can not use open sights with it. The magpul optic mount put the reflex sight at the right hight to just use the buffer tube for a cheek weld.

Last edited by S1loki; 07-22-2019 at 04:41 PM.