Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:07 AM
athappyhiker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picked up LNIB MKIII Target Stainless -pic

Traded in a few guns that I didn't need/didn't want (incl. a Chinese knock-off pump shotgun I had shot twice in 10 years, and a Bersa 380 I no longer wanted because I've switched to carrying J frames and a Khar CW9) for $350 credit at my LGS, and found this gem for $349... a LNIB condition MKIII Targetr 5 1/2" stainless. Function tested it with 20 rounds at the store (flawless function; just me hitting a bit low right which is normal for me with a new gun or I can adjust the sights). Trigger is pretty nice. Only thing I plan on doing is putting in a TANDEMKROSS LCI blank replacement and I put some dayglo orange model paint on the front sight. I had been looking at a good condition MKII Target blued model for $50 less, but then realized that this one came with the extra mag, and the mags are interchangeable with the ones I already have for my MKIII hunter. Win win. The bolt face and chamber face were eerily clean, and the take down action is still super tight so don't think it's been shot or monkeyed with at all. No $ out of my pocket, and the proud owner of a pistol I'll shoot way more than what I traded it for.

Last edited by athappyhiker; 07-19-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Garugerfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by athappyhiker View Post
Traded in a few guns that I didn't need/didn't want (incl. a Chinese knock-off pump shotgun I had shot twice in 10 years, and a Bersa 380 I no longer wanted because I've switched to carrying J frames and a Khar CW9) for $350 credit at my LGS, and found this gem for $349... a LNIB condition MKIII Targetr 5 1/2" stainless. Function tested it with 20 rounds at the store (flawless function; just me hitting a bit low right which is normal for me with a new gun or I can adjust the sights). Trigger is pretty nice. Only thing I plan on doing is putting in a TANDEMKROSS LCI blank replacement and I put some dayglo orange model paint on the front sight. I had been looking at a good condition MKII Target blued model for $50 less, but then realized that this one came with the extra mag, and the mags are interchangeable with the ones I already have for my MKIII hunter. Win win. The bolt face and chamber face were eerily clean, and the take down action is still super tight so don't think it's been shot or monkeyed with at all. No $ out of my pocket, and the proud owner of a pistol I'll shoot way more than what I traded it for.

Very nice! I really like mine, great accurate shooters!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2E0ECECF-75E6-455A-BF5A-DF42834ADE58.jpeg (67.1 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by Garugerfan; 07-14-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old 07-14-2019, 11:45 AM
athappyhiker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Odd though - it's a 2013 production serial #, but it has the grips with the older black Ruger logo on just one side; no logo on the left grip. I see MKIIs like that, but thought the 1999 and later ones all have red logos on both sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 03:34 PM
bangordan

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Odd though - it's a 2013 production serial #, but it has the grips with the older black Ruger logo on just one side; no logo on the left grip. I see MKIIs like that, but thought the 1999 and later ones all have red logos on both sides.
I'd bet someone switched the grips, and I'd agree that both grips panels would be the red background type. Very easy to do, and to undo.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the older MKIIs had the eagle on the left side only with a red background. When Ruger switched to the black background, they were only on the right side. My MKII and first MKIII had plastic grips & eagles just like yours. My second MKIII was an earlier production year and came with wood grips and red background eagles on both sides.

Nice stainless you picked up! I like it a lot.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:35 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That is a nice looking Mark III SS Target - Nice Trade . . . athappyhiker.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:53 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I have the same pistol with a RDS and it surprisingly accurate at 35 yards. Back stop shards beware !
Old 07-14-2019, 06:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Congratulations. I think removing the LCI is a smart move and you will probably want to do some Volquartsen up grades later after shooting it a bit. I like the Mark III over the Mark II's just for the simple Mag release button. Again Congratulations.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:34 PM
bangordan

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ruger's MK II's had eagles with the black background from '82 until about 2000, when they switched to the red background, and that carried over to the MK IIIs.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 PM
athappyhiker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangordan View Post
Ruger's MK II's had eagles with the black background from '82 until about 2000, when they switched to the red background, and that carried over to the MK IIIs.
Yeah well not mine. It's without doubt a 2013 MKIII and it's got the black background on just one side's grip. I don't care either way honestly.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 PM
omaha-beenglock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had to go look----my 2009 MK III model just like yours has the red emblems on both sides----so I'd say ya somebody changed them out.

Also--there's a little cut out for the mag release pin to clear to grip---which I don't see on yours---so those are probably MK II grips.

Easily fixed at shop ruger.com for not much money if you have the desire.

I've been thinking about getting the white grips for mine.

Last edited by omaha-beenglock; 07-15-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 PM
athappyhiker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well, the more I hold the grips on this Target, I am not in love with them compared to the cocobola wood grips on my Hunter MKIII, which feel slightly thinner, and much nicer to the touch. These plastic factory grips are functional and probably better in terms of not showing wear, but I'm thinking a nice stainless pistol deserves some nicer, warmer grips.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:28 AM
Garugerfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well, the more I hold the grips on this Target, I am not in love with them compared to the cocobola wood grips on my Hunter MKIII, which feel slightly thinner, and much nicer to the touch. These plastic factory grips are functional and probably better in terms of not showing wear, but I'm thinking a nice stainless pistol deserves some nicer, warmer grips.
I prefer the wood grips too. eBay has lots of them for these pistols.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Check out Herret's grips for your pistol. Numerous styles. Quality products. Reasonable prices. I have their grips on my MK III and I am quite pleased with them. Just another option for you.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 PM
athappyhiker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garugerfan View Post
I prefer the wood grips too. eBay has lots of them for these pistols.
I found a set of rosewood checkered Ruger 60th Anniversary logo'd grips on ebay and ordered them last night. I don't care about the 60th logo thing. I just liked the way the cut pattern looks and they were better priced than some of the other comparable grips.