Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 AM
ZMan57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brownells 10/22 receiver "problem"

Hello, everyone,

I recently purchased 3 of those bad boys - they were only $62, couldn't help it.
Right away, though, I ran into problems with installing bolts in them, all 3 receivers, 4 different bolt types, including the OEM Ruger bolt, and yes - with different handles as well.

After much frustration, and the accompanying adult language, which greatly displeased my wife, I decided to compare them with the OEM Ruger receiver.

What I discovered would be much better communicated with pics, but, sadly, none will be forthcoming, this is my first post here and I don't have time to navigate through the pics posting steps today - sorry!

… there is a rail inside the receiver that the bolt must clear when being installed. On the OEM receiver that rail terminates at the right angle v. the receiver side, BUT on the Brownells receiver it terminates at an "inverted arc", and IMO extends further just enough to interfere with the install.

What ended up happening is I was able to align the bolt to where it was "right there", but still hanging up on the last section of that "extended" rail.
Vaguely remembering hearing somewhere that aluminum is softer than steel ; ), I administered a firm tap with the wooden handle of a hammer, and offered some final harsh words at the receiver, which ended the hostilities in my favor.

If this is indeed a design or manufacturing flaw, it's hard to believe such a flaw would leave "the works", and just as hard to imagine that, by now, there wouldn't have been some serious squawking about it online, but I searched for any signs of people reporting it in this and other forums, and only found people talking about "installs being difficult with aftermarket bolts due to tighter tolerances".

So:

Anyone else experienced this - to any extent?
Has anyone measured the Brownells rail v. the Ruger one - am I on track, in other words?
From those - if any - who did experience this, how did you defeat it?

The receiver is great, appearance-wise. It is machined, not forged, and what it gives up in strength - that it won't need, it makes up in smoothness and great looks. It has the "hard anodized" finish, like most AR receivers.

Thanks in advance for any input! : )

Last edited by ZMan57; 04-29-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine was a little snug with the Ruger OEM bolt that I got from Brownells. Once I got it into the receiver it was still really tight. It took about 100 rounds to get the bolt to go into battery reliably. After having it Cerakoted for a shinier finish I needed to go through the break in again. Then I went out and shot the smallest 5-shot group that I have ever shot with any rifle.
Just make sure the bolt is horizontal with the receiver when you try to install it. If it is tilted at all it won't go in.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:51 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan57 View Post
Hello, everyone,

I recently purchased 3 of those bad boys - they were only $62, couldn't help it.
Right away, though, I ran into problems with installing bolts in them, all 3 receivers, 4 different bolt types, including the OEM Ruger bolt, and yes - with different handles as well.

After much frustration, and the accompanying adult language, which greatly displeased my wife, I decided to compare them with the OEM Ruger receiver.

What I discovered would be much better communicated with pics, but, sadly, none will be forthcoming, this is my first post here and I don't have time to navigate through the pics posting steps today - sorry!

Ö there is a rail inside the receiver that the bolt must clear when being installed. On the OEM receiver that rail terminates at the right angle v. the receiver side, BUT on the Brownells receiver it terminates at an "inverted arc", and IMO extends further just enough to interfere with the install.

What ended up happening is I was able to align the bolt to where it was "right there", but still hanging up on the last section of that "extended" rail.
Vaguely remembering hearing somewhere that aluminum is softer than steel ; ), I administered a firm tap with the wooden handle of a hammer, and offered some final harsh words at the receiver, which ended the hostilities in my favor.

If this is indeed a design or manufacturing flaw, it's hard to believe such a flaw would leave "the works", and just as hard to imagine that, by now, there wouldn't have been some serious squawking about it online, but I searched for any signs of people reporting it in this and other forums, and only found people talking about "installs being difficult with aftermarket bolts due to tighter tolerances".

So:

Anyone else experienced this - to any extent?
Has anyone measured the Brownells rail v. the Ruger one - am I on track, in other words?
From those - if any - who did experience this, how did you defeat it?

The receiver is great, appearance-wise. It is machined, not forged, and what it gives up in strength - that it won't need, it makes up in smoothness and great looks. It has the "hard anodized" finish, like most AR receivers.

Thanks in advance for any input! : )
Did you bother to call Brownells?? They have an excellent customer service department and QC would probably benefit from knowing about your problem.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:02 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
THIS TOOL is your friend... https://youtu.be/JvmWmsaRUQI

https://www.gunsmithertools.com/prod...10-22-bolt-bar
Old 04-29-2019, 05:16 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Move the ledge forward by filing it

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...l/P1210063.jpg

You can file the ledge forward toward the front of the receiver. This will allow the bolt
to go in and come out easier. Just needs a little clearance, which will hurt nothing.

Use a medium fine cut file with one "safe " edge, and file the ledge until the bolt drops in. Put a layer of masking tape on the inside surface next to the ledge to avoid marring the receiver.

Piece of cake to do this. Good luck, and "Happy 10/22-Ing"! Joe

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W

Last edited by gunsmither; 04-30-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 04-29-2019, 05:53 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My two BRN22s had the same issue as the OP. I hit the rail with a file and got the bolts to seat. Haven't had any problems since.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:10 PM
kkd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (58)
Brownell's receiver

File that ledge
Just a couple of file strokes got my bolts to drop in and pop right out

No biggie
Old 05-05-2019, 11:26 AM
ZMan57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Joe, thanks! : )

You are a Gentleman (for NOT plugging your bolt/extractor install tool, that I actually own and enjoy using along with.… 80% of your tools, but which would not be helpful in this case), and a Scholar - for offering a solution, even going as far as posting a photo.
You response confirmed what I already suspected, and gave me the confidence needed to inflict such violence on the receiver ; )

Btw., anyone NOT using your tools deserves precisely what they'll get, including blood-stained ruined guns and gun parts - lol - I actually just today used your S&W rebound slide install/removal tool on a very nice 18-3 I overpaid for ; ( at a Lakeland gun show Saturday, and given the 25 lb - or so it seemed ; ) - rebound spring I encountered, that's how this adventure would have ended without your tool for sure ; )

KKD, Loke, MAC66 - thanks for taking the time to respond with good intel as well! : )

...and now, regarding contacting Brownells CS...

I like Brownells, I even pay $50 a year for Edge membership, and in case some missed that they now have free 2 day shipping option available for Edge Customers - take THAT, Amazon and Ebay! ; )

Generally speaking, however, telling people what they're "doing wrong" that they've been "doing wrong" and getting away with for a good while - in this case almost a year - is a fool's errand, unless you enjoy being told you don't know what you're talking about.

Brownells tests their products, and, as every other big company monitors social media and discussion forums traffic - they already know all they need/want to know. Receivers are selling = all is good.
...just one man's opinion ; )

Last edited by ZMan57; 05-05-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:00 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the kind words ZMan47. Glad to hear you "got 'er done" on that Smith!

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 06-14-2019, 08:15 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan57 View Post
Hello, everyone,

I know this is over but I'm curious, did you try to trial fit the bolts without handles, just bolt and receivers? Holding the receiver in orientations other than bottom up while trial fitting will give an indication of how much, or how little clearance there is. For example, if you hold the receiver vertically and rest the bolt on the inside rear of the receiver it should slide into position and give a clear view of the clearances you're working with.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:35 AM
peasant

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkd View Post
File that ledge
Just a couple of file strokes got my bolts to drop in and pop right out

No biggie
Same issue for me and just had to file it slightly.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:43 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hade the same issue with an oem receiver and a JWH bolt recently. And yes aluminum is softer tan steel.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I should think needing a hammer to "pop it in" would infer that you may also need a tool to "pop it out". A couple of my range buddies purchased the Brownell receivers and experienced the same issue as you with bolt installation. They did as recommended by gunsmither and gently filed away a bit of the ledge to facilitate bolt installation and removal. The hammer idea IMO just gets future problems. Good luck and shoot often!
Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Gunstockmaker
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brownells 10/22 receiver "problem" reply

Greetings!
Had one of these little receivers delivered to my store yesterday and was so impressed with the finish and the integral rail - I ordered one. I also just bought one of the gunsmithy tools for bolt installation. Question is - anyone have opinions about them?
Old 06-18-2019, 11:53 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunstockmaker View Post
Greetings!
Had one of these little receivers delivered to my store yesterday and was so impressed with the finish and the integral rail - I ordered one. I also just bought one of the gunsmithy tools for bolt installation. Question is - anyone have opinions about them?
Are you asking about the Gunsmither bolt install tool? .. if so
All his tools are EXCELLENT! The Bolt install tool doubles as a Extractor installer.. and it works like a charm.