Do you think they'll develop a .22WSM? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:51 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Supposing someone manufactured a 22wsm rifle.
Being rimfire who would produce the ammuntion?
Winchester? CCI? Aguila? Just thinking....

They do so well with 22wmr, right?
The only good Win rf ammo I've shot in the last couple decades was 17WSM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:31 PM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
The only good Win rf ammo I've shot in the last couple decades was 17WSM.
Hum?.....that's not saying much from my experience with the round.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:42 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
As a general statement, I would say a .22 WSM won't happen unless more people buy the .17 WSM products, and the biggest obstacle to that seems to be lack of a quality bolt action at a reasonable price...at least that's what everyone says, right? The old chicken and egg thing.

Even if a .22 WSM were to appear, I can just hear the familiar chorus: "It will never survive; It's another 5mm Rem; they should have made it a .20; the ammunition is too expensive; I can load down my .220 Swift; the rifles will be relegated to tomato stakes."

If they make one, I will buy it.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 02-28-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmm, 33,000psi rated case with a 22cal 35gr Hornady Vmax would give ? fps. Someone with a ballistic program, help.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:24 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I didn't bother to read the whole post, but I'm pretty sure 22-250 is where it's at
Old 02-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
And for hypothetical rounds mit as well neck down 308 or 06 to push 20 cal
Old 02-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TBR is psychic .
Old 02-28-2019, 06:00 PM
rick w.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One would say with the science of probability and knowing the wildcatting folks' abilities, that 20 and 22 versions are out there in private hands; or at least been pondered or even tried out. Tis one thing to neck up to another caliber, make dies, do a chamber with the 17 version followed by a 20/22 neck reamer; and use it for one's own needs/wants. Could be unforseen issues in relative brass strengths, pressures/powders etc etc in doing such, I have no idea. Tis too late for me anyway; no real time.

For a company to get it ready for production.........well, there are a lot more physical and liability hoops there.

17 hmr styled cases were seen before the entry into the market in some circles, not sure why I would think that other guys (wsm cases in hand)would be thinking and doing.............remember the mauser that came to market early in 17 hmr but the ammo did not appear....? To get to production takes a lot of coordination...........and support.

Last edited by rick w.; 02-28-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 17WSM case is a 27Cal nail gun case. To be more accurate , developed from a 27Cal nail gun case.

Last edited by Glass37; 03-01-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Clarify statement
Old 06-16-2019, 07:10 AM
slingworks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really doubt they'd make it...

Looks to me like Winchester didn't fare to well with the 17wsm. I wouldn't call it an embarrassment all the way around, but might be a close call.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love a laser beam accurate 17WSM. The truth is it really needs to go back to driving nails into concrete.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The current crop of Bmag 17WSM rifles are a far cry from the rollout fiasco. The near complete lack of complaint threads can"t be wrong.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sort of doubt Winchester will be doing any more new cartridges for a while. FN seems to be a lot more conservative this way then Winchester was prior.... And never mind that the last few Winchester cartridge roll outs over the last 30 years have been unmitigated train wrecks.

I think what they need to do is continue to build their reputation back up as a maker of fine firearms so people will take them seriously again. They managed to do an amazing job of ruining perhaps the finest name in American firearms with their combination of horrible quality and atrocious new product roll outs...
Old 06-17-2019, 09:54 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
To answer OPs question, l think it could happen, but probably depends on how successful the the 17 wsm. becomes.

There are distinct advantages for these rimfires on steroids. The states that have restrictions on center fires and cost for ammo. Yes, if you reload the cost of ammo is pretty much a non factor, but a lot of people don’t!

I remember when some said the 17 hmr. cal. will never last and for target shooting it’s probably not the best, but has become a very successful hunting cal.

I have used the 17 hmr. and 22 mag. on numerous PD and squirrel shoots and prefer them over the center fire, except for long distances. I recently bought and shot a 17 wsm. on our last PD shoot and was really, really impressed. I had my 17 Hornet, but never felt l needed it and the 17 wsm. far exceeded the 17 hmr.

If some more gun manufacturers would jump on board with the 17 wsm. it would probably help though. “BUT WAIT” maybe the 22 wsm. Is what their waiting for.

Just my 2 cents.

Wonderdog1
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think it makes pretty good sense why many "Back east" states have the regulations they do - people are hunting on small properties near houses and stray bullets hitting people in their houses is a real concern.

I think once you understand that - it can be a whole lot easier to figure out what would be a good candidate to go after and what wouldn't... From that perspective - a rimfire version of a 22-hornet is less likely to be approved where a single shot or non-semi auto rifle running standard pistol cartridges like 38 spl, 9mm, and 45 acp is more likely to be approved..
Old 06-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass37 View Post
The current crop of Bmag 17WSM rifles are a far cry from the rollout fiasco. The near complete lack of complaint threads can"t be wrong.
Worth repeating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
I sort of doubt Winchester will be doing any more new cartridges for a while. FN seems to be a lot more conservative this way then Winchester was prior.... And never mind that the last few Winchester cartridge roll outs over the last 30 years have been unmitigated train wrecks.

I think what they need to do is continue to build their reputation back up as a maker of fine firearms so people will take them seriously again. They managed to do an amazing job of ruining perhaps the finest name in American firearms with their combination of horrible quality and atrocious new product roll outs...
And there's that. Remington diddled their pooch the same way cutting corners and putting out arms and ammo with poor QC with nothing but $$ as their goal. sad!

Then again Savage surprised us all with the 17WSM so anything is possible eh?