Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:18 PM
Floody

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Open sights small game

Hi guys, I have a Winchester 22lr with an old fixed 4 power scope. I have never hunted with open sights and would like to give it a go, mostly rabbits. Does any one hunt small game with open sights. What is your effective range?
How do I sight in a 22lr with open sights, what distance?
TIA
Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 PM
coloradokid
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Check out the Appleseed forum, got me interested again in the basics. 25 yard head shots are very doable. Try to work more on hunting skills, than shooting.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:29 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When a rabbit runs whistle loudly, it often stops em in their tracks hopefully presenting a clear shot.
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 01:19 AM
squirrelsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't hunt with open sights very much (it's a rare occasion, usually only when teaching a younger hunter). Personally I think it depends a lot on lighting and the shot presented, but I consider about 40yds my personal limit with an iron-sighted rifle.

Edited to add: the rifles are zeroed at 50yds from a benchrest using a target that's appropriate in size to get the sights on it the same way every time.

Last edited by squirrelsniper; 06-16-2019 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:29 AM
koonta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The more you hunt rabbits with open sights the easier it gets. If you're jump them instead of using a dog I found if you let them run a little bit they get the zig-zag out of their system and kinda line out, little easier to follow. The only problem was that I got more cripples, probably pass through gut shots? After I found the HM2 I always thought a pump or semi-auto would be the ticket even though my brother used a bolt action with some success I carried a Win 77. Coyotes, crazy winters, and a little age have put a damper on my bunny stomping days. I think that and woodcock were probably my favorite.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:45 AM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The rabbits I hunted here would bolt and then freeze at 25 yards or so.Id sight the gun in so the zero was at the top edge of the sight at that distance.The rabbits at my bilís place would freeze at 100 yards! Used a 17hmr with a 3x9 for that.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:46 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't know what model of Winchester you have, but you might try to locate a peep sight for it. It really extends the range that I can shoot accurately with iron sights.

Open sights accuracy ends for me at around 40 yards. I used to shoot prairie dogs at 100 with peeps pretty consistently. With my aged eyes, that may be down to 75-80 yards. Sucks getting old.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:04 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thumbs up IRONS

If you can still see open sights go for it. Practice. Aim small, miss small.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have Remington 552 that can now hunt legally with in Pennsylvania. I'm not going to scope it. I'm looking forward to hunting for squirrel and rabbit with iron sights at rifle ranges again. Probably, not more than 35ish yards for me.

I've used my Single Six out to 25 yards. But that's stretching it out there for me. Plus, it helps to have a good rest when reaching out that far with the pistol. I prefer the pistol for shots within 15 yards. I use the pistol on larger than squirrel game, rabbits, groundhogs, or the occasional skunk. Getting that close to a squirrel for a pistol shot is beyond my patience.

Being able to clearly see your front sight is key. At my age, I really benefited by investing in specialized Rx shooting glasses.

Practice and go for it.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:55 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I still use an iron sighted CZ 452 FS for hunting . . .

. . . but am not sure how much longer that will happen. Olde Eyes you know. This one has an aperture blade on the rear which helps me focus on that front sight. This front sight blade is what you keep in focus when aiming at your target.

I would practice until you are positive you can hit a 1" diameter target every time, then limit yourself to that range for sure kills. Paper doesn't bleed - live animals do and you want to remove as much suffering on their part as possible.

Good shooting !
Old 06-17-2019, 07:14 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started squirrel and rabbit hunting again after a break a couple years ago...

Got the rifles all set up.... Lots of target practice....

First problem: Guns way too heavy and unbalanced. Those fat varmint/bull barrels and target stocks were horrible walking in the woods and didn't shoulder well in field positions.

Ok... Circle back around and change up some guns for ones with regular thinner barrels and huntjng pattern stocks. Now they carry and shoulder well.

Got out there and I couldn't find the game in the scope. Even turned all the way down. Sure I could see them - and distances were reasonable enough for iron sights - but they were lost in the scope... Drove me nuts.

So I pulled the scope off the rifle... Got the iron sights sighted in.... Practiced iron sights shooting from field positions (there are no benches out in the woods you know ) and went hunting again.

It was great and I didn't have any trouble seeing, finding, or hitting the game in the sights.

I will admit that the old long barrel 22's are a lot easier to shoot with iron sights than the shorter barrel models. 22" seems to be a decent compromise for me with modern rifles, but I really like my old 25" barrel Winchester 69 with peep sight. They got that one right.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 AM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get to where you can hit a golf ball at about fifty or sixty feet regularly and you will be able to hit a rabbit or squirrel a little further out. Just practice a little.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:12 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The swinger-dinger targets and swinging game shape targets are gold when practicing... You can set them up at different distances and practice on them...

They move and make noise so you know you got them.

Another fun target is used shotgun hulls. Set them up 30 or 40 all over the place and practice hitting them.

Lots more fun than punching paper.