Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Donít chya hate that. You know you have something, but you canít find it when you want it. So go out and get more. Betcha find it when you go to store the valve lap.

At least thatís what happens to me.

I move twice a year, between the summer home and the winter home, it should be easy , but it isnít and I canít find squat until itís time to move back.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
question

If fire lapping cleans up the leade and removes tight spots in the bore will it not also remove or reduce the "choke" at the muzzle?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:56 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
If fire lapping cleans up the leade and removes tight spots in the bore will it not also remove or reduce the "choke" at the muzzle?
Seems to me that you are playing "chicken" with the bore, as you suggest. The OP notes that he shot the minimum number of rounds to get the effect that he did. It's trade-offs for those of us without the skill to pour a proper lead lap and put in the blister-inducing work of manually lapping the bore.

On another note: if it is a CZ barrel, and it isn't working, the risk is low. Your alternative is try a different CZ barrel, and they don't cost much. Falls into the "why not?" category for me. . . (or maybe "What, Me Worry?")
Old 06-18-2019, 01:01 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you ever hand lapped a barrel to remove tight spots?
Old 06-18-2019, 01:11 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
Have you ever hand lapped a barrel to remove tight spots?
John: if that's to me: answer's "no." In fact the reason that your fire-lapping experiment is so interesting to me is exactly because the answer is "no."

I have a Brno Model 2 with a barrel like you describe above. Goobers at the lede. I'm thinking of giving the fire lapping procedure outlined above a try -- but a conservative number of shots.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:35 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
Fire lapping is known to actually create a slight "choke" at the muzzle. The abrasives used break down or dull as they go down the barrel. It wears most heavily in the throat. All the gunsmith studies are concerned with excessive throat wear.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
John: if that's to me: answer's "no." In fact the reason that your fire-lapping experiment is so interesting to me is exactly because the answer is "no."

I have a Brno Model 2 with a barrel like you describe above. Goobers at the lede. I'm thinking of giving the fire lapping procedure outlined above a try -- but a conservative number of shots.
Less is definitely more.
I was able to use my car cellphone charger base to run my Lyman borescope at the range - so I just watched it as I went.

Hand lapping has a far greater risk of damage for non-experts because it wears most at the ends of the strokes where the lap changes directions. It will lap "hollows" at either end of the high spot you are working on. That's where expertise (that I do not have) comes into play - how do you lap it so you don't get the hollows.... I don't know the answer to that, all I know is how to make them.