Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:03 AM
22_boomer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
removing a left side extractor.

I know it's called an extractor but the one that goes on the left side is more of a "Keeper" since it holds the cartridge case in place so the real extractor on the right can work. A fellow Mossy shooter somehow has a broken or worn left side extractor and thinks it needs to be replaced. How do you get the original part out? I looked at the Tech Support about installing them but is there some way to compress that metal barrel thing and then tap the defective part out? I don't know if he accidentally dropped the bolt or something but he wants to replace that part and can't figure out how to do it. I tried to help but the only thing I could think of was a knife blade to push the barrel plunger back but I figured I'd stab myself trying to tap the part out.

EDIT TO ADD; I forgot to say I think the bolt is from a 44 mossy with the little metal claws that are spring loaded with some type of metal plunger.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-15-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:14 PM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Which model 44? There was the 44 then the 44B then a US and a,b,c,d? I that was a change that caused a different model number on the US 44b

Last edited by gunsisme; 06-15-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:29 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsisme View Post
Which model 44? There was the 44 then the 44B then a US and a,b,c,d? I that was a change that caused a different model number on the US 44b
With a plunger sounds like a 44US or 44US(a).
Some clear photos would really help.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:31 PM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsisme View Post
I don't remember him saying any letters but the extractor setup is the same as in the Technical Support picture of the 42A extractors.

What do you use to push the little cylinders back and does the extractor just fall out?

EDIT TO ADD; found a better picture of a molt like his. It's listed as a 44US (a) I think but the extractors are the same type.

I don't have the rifle it belongs to a friend so the only pictures are what I find here but they are basically the same extractor design.
They have a spring and a round barrel shaped thing that pushes against the extractors as show in the picture below.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-15-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
A small tweeter screwdriver will work. But be careful as the spring and plunger can and will go flying. Once you get the plunger pushed back, a pick will help remove the old extractor. Mount the bolt in a vice and make a shield with a towel to help catch the plunger and spring if it slips.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Put the assy in a gallon or larger clear ziploc bag to catch flying partts. Don't ask my how I know.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:11 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Put the assy in a gallon or larger clear ziploc bag to catch flying partts. Don't ask my how I know.
Alternate method: Work on top of an old towel under a clear dry cleaning bag.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Alternate method: Work on top of an old towel under a clear dry cleaning bag.
I have nothing I dry clean but I got a lot of ziploc bags. Plenty of old towels.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:46 PM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a funny feeling that was how you got that plunger back and what happens or could happen when the extractor is removed. After looking at the pictures I realized I'd seen this type of extractor before -- something like the extractor on a 22lr conversion for an AR-15 or even the extractor on a 10/22. Need to contact my friend and ask if he wants to do it himself or bring the bolt over to my place. Thanks you guys for the help and the special note about the possible flying parts.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That plunger and milled extractors was very common in that era. They worked fine but it's aasy to hook one when cleaning and pull it out. I did on a Stevens 87 semi auto. Later stamped spring steel was simpler, cheaper and works fine.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:45 PM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, my friend brought the rifle over and we checked out the bolt. The right side extractor seemed fine -- moved back and forth nice. The left side was like stiff and he said it was not letting go of the spent case. He just got the rifle and gave it a good cleaning but had not done anything with that inside extractor thing. We had a heck of a time compressing that plunger but when we got it pushed in could not get the extractor out of it's seat. With the bolt stripped I noticed the base of that extractor in the channel for the firing pin so with the plunger pushed in I used a pointed thing to push on the base of the extractor and it fell right out. The plunger and spring where so gunked up they would not come out. I sprayed penetrating oil into the area and got the plunger out but had to use a little pointy thing to work the spring till it finally came out. The spring was full of junk and I would guess we were lucky to get it out. I don't have a clue why that inside extractor was so gunked up. Cleaned out the spring hole, cleaned the spring and the other parts and was putting everything back together when old age took over and I dropped the plunger on the tile floor -- it disappeared. Spent 45 minutes looking for the plunger and finally found it a grout line, pushed it in place, installed the extractor and everything works fine now.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:19 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Job well done. I have never replaced the extractor and hope I never have to!
Old 06-30-2019, 09:00 AM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
OK, my friend brought the rifle over and we checked out the bolt. The right side extractor seemed fine -- moved back and forth nice. The left side was like stiff and he said it was not letting go of the spent case. He just got the rifle and gave it a good cleaning but had not done anything with that inside extractor thing. We had a heck of a time compressing that plunger but when we got it pushed in could not get the extractor out of it's seat. With the bolt stripped I noticed the base of that extractor in the channel for the firing pin so with the plunger pushed in I used a pointed thing to push on the base of the extractor and it fell right out. The plunger and spring where so gunked up they would not come out. I sprayed penetrating oil into the area and got the plunger out but had to use a little pointy thing to work the spring till it finally came out. The spring was full of junk and I would guess we were lucky to get it out. I don't have a clue why that inside extractor was so gunked up. Cleaned out the spring hole, cleaned the spring and the other parts and was putting everything back together when old age took over and I dropped the plunger on the tile floor -- it disappeared. Spent 45 minutes looking for the plunger and finally found it a grout line, pushed it in place, installed the extractor and everything works fine now.
I work on many guns and one of my favorite/handy pieces of equipment is a 4" round magnet attached to a 2' handle that I can "sweep" across decorative finished (wife wanted) garage floor. Has saved my rear ands several guns over the years. Many a spring & pin have tried to hide from me but the magnet tracked them down.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Ray1946
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That old dried rifle grease is a real pain sometimes. Unless you are in a hurry, its best to soak the entire front of the bolt in some kind of strong solvent or gasoline(becareful). Once everything is freed up, it usually comes apart easily and the worn parts that were not functioning start working again like magic! Sometimes there is a happy ending.......................