Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:12 AM
billmeek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
The NAA micro-revolvers would fit in any 'kit', too bad most of the 22LR models arent much useful. I wish they would make the 22LR on the bigger Maggie frame...
Any of the NAA magnum revolvers can be bought as a combo that includes both the magnum and 22LR cylinders. If you already have a NAA magnum revolver, you can sent it to NAA and have them time a 22LR cylinder to work with it. However, many of the magnum frame NAA revolvers CAN be bought with only the 22LR cylinder. Examples:

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-bwl/

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-mml/

For the small difference in price, I'd get both cylinders on any NAA revolver.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:00 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Hi-Standard Sentinel 9 shot revolver (have two of them actually) in 6” bbl. that is my go to carry around the woods sidearm. But I think a Browning Buck Mark with fiber optic sights would be even better.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM
hillbillyhans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm really lusting after a stainless bearcat with adjustable sights. Outfitted with a properly tooled and lined shoulder holster! Man oh man!

Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)

When I want to take along a .22 Mag trail/kit gun while hunting with a long gun, I usually tuck my 3" Charter Arms Pathfinder in a pocket.

When I'm likewise hunting in an area holding only small game, I take along my .22LR Colt Frontier Scout.

Last edited by Pete44ru; 06-12-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 PM
hillbillyhans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do you like the Pathfinder?

How's the accuracy?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 PM
Pete44ru

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyhans View Post

How do you like the Pathfinder?

How's the accuracy?
Having owned it for over 10 years, I can safely say that I luv it.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 PM
hillbillyhans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
25yds offhand?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:17 AM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I would have to say any of the 4 3/4" Standard models by Ruger. Once the sights are adjusted to your point of aim they pretty much stay put. The barrel is long enough to better take advantage of the powder charges at the same time give a longer sight radius for better human influenced accuracy. To me this gun better fits the all purpose target/plinking,hunting, and 22lr defense gun as any.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Pete44ru

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)
Quote:
25yds offhand?

Yes - using a two-hand hold/stance.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:40 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
My Cerakote-refinished 1961 Ruger RST-4 fills this role for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger_Standard_Refinish.jpg (212.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-15-2019, 07:33 PM
Ol` Joe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
By rights my M34-1 should be my favorite "Kit Gun", but I shoot the M17-1 so much better, plus I am not a backpacker but a hunter/plinker where the added weight and 2" of barrel are not any real hinderance so it gets out more.
To be honest though, both see the range much more often then the woods. My favorite carry in the field is a 1911.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Why was it a pain to load? I assume the holes are closer together? Seems like it would be easier to load multiples if the holes were closer together. Like a 617.

Plus, you load it less.

Feels like a win/win?

I had an old H&R 9-shot. Should've never sold it.
You had to load 1 at a time through a loading gate and yes the holes were too close together. One of my grandsons really liked my H&R 999. I am a soft touch. Miss that gun. Been looking for another at a decent price.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never been a big fan of the term "kit gun" as it's very imprecise and somewhat subjective.

My take on the term imposes three requirements:

1. A cartridge that is inexpensive, compact and light weight to pack and available almost anywhere. That limits cartridge choice to .22 LR, or at a stretch .22 WMR.

2. It also needs to be accurate enough to take small game at ranges out to 25 yards or so.

3. It needs to be small enough and light enough to easily carry in a pack or OWB holster.

My favorite .22 LR revolvers to shoot are probably my 3rd gen K-22 and my 3T Model 17-3 in that order.

Both are 6" revolvers but are light enough to carry with no issues, and both are very accurate.

I'm also a fan of the Ruger Mk I and Mk II pistols in both 512 target and 678 target formats. They are accurate, and reliable, although reliability is highly magazine dependent, and like any magazine fed pistol it becomes a really hard to load single shot if you lose the magazine in a survival situation. They do have a slight size advantage over the K frame .22 revolver and the 5" target model is more practical to carry, especially with standard rather than target grips.

I have several others that could qualify. As noted above the 5" target model with standard grips is a great choice. The Ruger Single Six is also never a bad choice, especially in stainless steel, and the ability to use either .22 LR or .22 WMR is a plus. Accuracy is better in mine with .22 WMR and in a survival situation it's capable of taking a deer with a well placed neck or head shot. (We used .22 WMR to slaughter steers for years).

The 4" SP101 has potential to be an ideal kit gun and I bought it with that in mind, but it also had QA issues. The first one had a poorly cut forcing cone, spit lead and leaded the barrel something fierce After the second trip back to the factory Ruger declared it non repairable and after a 5 month wait for the next production run, shipped me a new one. It was functional, but accuracy was poor and I traded it in on my K-22.

A 1911 with a .22 LR conversion also makes a good kit gun and I put a Kimber conversion on a JPE frame that I'd used with a .400 CorBon barrel when that was a thing. There's a trade off though as the steel frame makes it easier to shoot accurately, but it weighs more. If weight is an issue an aluminum frame makes for a a lighter pistol. Either way, when properly fitted they are accurate and reliable and the Kimber .22 LR magazines are very well made, durable and reliable.

I also have a Kadet .22 LR conversion for my CZ 75 Compact, and in fact it sees more use on the gun than the 9mm slide and barrel. It's very accurate, almost match accurate, and very reliable. My CZ frame is steel, but again if weight is an issue you can put it on one of the aluminum CZ 75 derivative pistols.

My L66A1 (British army version of the Walther PP in .22 LR), Beretta Model 71, and my Umarex-Walther PPK/S are all on the small side with reduced accuracy, but they could also fill the role in a pinch.

If I had to determine an overall favorite as a kit gun, it would probably be a convertible model Single Six with the .22 WMR cylinder installed. It's a natural for comfortable carry in a B western style holster.

In similar barrel lengths it is comparable to the Mk I or II target pistols for carry purposes, but with the added advantage that you can fire shot shells in the revolver, and it's easy to re-index to fire either shot or standard bullets as the need arises. .22 LR shot shells are a very short range proposition (about 4'), but .22 WMR shot shells pattern a bit better than .22 LR and will work fine at 6-8'. They both use #12 shot but there's only 31 grains in the .22 LR compared to 52 grains in the .22WMR and the .22 WMR gives the shot much better velocity and penetration.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:03 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Some beautiful examples of your personal choice as a kit gun . . .

. . . much appreciation for the nice photos of them.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I believe it was Skeeter Skelton who had MMC fit one of their Micro rear sights to a PP in .22lr and declared it a suitable Kit gun, I know mine shoots far better than I expected at least in SA. A set of adjustable sights of the right height would be worthwhile if not prohibitive in cost.