Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:49 PM
shtrdave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
question on finishing a Boyds stock

I am not a wood worker guy. I long time ago I bought a Boyds Circus I think is the color they called it, it has pink and black and you know. I forgot it was unfinished, so now I need to do that.

Any suggestions on what or how to go about it? Do I need to sand it more, what would I want to put on it for finish? Going to put it on an action for the GF so it needs to look pretty.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I bought an unfinished ProVarmint, back when it was called the Tacticool (!!). I sanded it down using 200-400-1000 grit sandpaper until the laminate was silky smooth, and then finished with a wipe-on polyurethane with a satin finish. I chose the poly because I wanted a water resistant finish that I could touch up easily. This was for a stainless "rainy day" rifle. The finish has held up well, and I haven't babied it particularly. It is not high art, though.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:49 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You probably have to do some sanding. Once finished use Linseed Oil on it and put about 5 coats to protect everything. Put a coat on, let it dry over night then put the second coat on etc.

Then come back and show us the results.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:32 AM
NicholsT55
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would use Tru-Oil rather than boiled linseed oil. BLO may take several days to fully dry between coats, depending on the humidity and temperature. Rub it out lightly between coats with either #0000 steel wool or very fine grit sandpaper. Tack rag it, then hit it with another coat. Don't neglect the concealed areas - barrel channel, etc.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1 on True Oil rather than boiled linseed oil.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:42 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I have used Tru Oil, Lacquer, BLO. Now, on the laminated anyway, my “go-to” finish is Gun Sav’r Hunter Satin, from Brownells. Easy to use, durable, repair friendly. Works real well and looks great! I only sand to 600 grit, 400 most times. No need to go to 800 or 1000. Wasted effort IMHO. Usually go with semi-heavy first coat. Let it dry a day at least. Sand it back and then do it again. Two or three times is all it takes before going with 2 or 3 finishing coats. Let it cure at least a week, just to be sure. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the final look.

Last edited by azguy; 06-09-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I have used Tru Oil, Lacquer, BLO. Now, on the laminated anyway, my “go-to” finish is Gun Sav’r Hunter Satin, from Brownells. Easy to use, durable, repair friendly. Works real well and looks great! I only sand to 600 grit, 480 sometimes. No need to go to 800 or 1000. Wasted effort IMHO. Usually go with semi-heavy first coat. Let it dry a day at least. Sand it back and then do it again. Two or three times is all it takes before going with 2 or 3 finishing coats. Let it cure at least a week, just to be sure. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the final look.
I always wondered if the people recommending 1000 grit for sanding bare wood have ever done it more than once.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 AM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It all depends on the finish you want, I'm on 2500 right now and plan to go to 3000 before the final coat and then I have rotten stone to complete it.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Boonedog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
question on finishing a Boyds stock

I agree on a lot of these suggestions for a beautiful solid piece of walnut, maple, etc, but not so much for a colored, laminated stock that's not a piece of art but a working gun, I would sand it with 300-400ish grit and use a few coats of polyurethane finish from home depot. It will look great, won't add any unwanted color like some finishes and will hold up well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Boonedog; 06-09-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 AM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Obviously the quality of the wood plays a huge part in sanding technique used. And if one wishes to go over 600 grit, or even 400, that’s their choice. In reality, you get past about 120 and your simply reducing the size of the previous sanding grits scratches. You get up to the super fine grades like 1000 or higher and your more burnishing the wood, then sanding it. Unless the wood is a high grade hardwood, anything above 400 is wasted effort. The beech or birch wood used in today’s laminated isn’t very “hard”, lol. Going to the higher grit papers brings one to the point of “diminishing returns”. In other words, a ton of effort for little, to no real gain. To me, if you’re going to actually use the firearm, a satin to semi-gloss finish is your best best. Knowing this “use” should be foremost in the finishing decision. High gloss finishes are easily damaged, for the most part, and tough to repair. Satin finishes “show” much less wear. You’re not going to make a $150 dollar, beech laminate stock, look like it’s an heirloom piece. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by azguy; 06-09-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:57 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
By far the easiest finish for a non wood worker type of guy is a wipe on poly. Tru-oil is fine if you want a shiny finish, if not use minwax satin wipe on poly. You really don't need to go past 400 grit for most applications.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:36 PM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Along with the suggestions offered by others if you wish to sand to 400 grit for example , whisker the wood 2 to 3 times on the last sanding course . Take a water wetted towel , dampen the wood let dry or use a hair dryer on it . The small whiskers of wood that were manipulated down into the grooves of the previous sanding course will stand up and be easy to remove with a used piece of paper of the desired grit . Makes for a lot better first coat finish that doesn't need to be worked down for successive coats . Good luck

Last edited by wjritchie; 06-09-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-2019, 02:26 PM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sell it as is. With no prior wood finishing skills it may end up looking worse after you get done. I would pay more for an unfinished stock than a poorly finished one. Removing a bad finish job is a lot of work.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Desert Pete
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Everybody has to have a first woodworking project. Just do it. Don't worry about it, you'll end up happy with the results. The GF will love that you did it yourself. Laminated stocks are generally pressure impregnated with epoxy or urethane and are quite hard. Sand it to your heart's desire. I stop at 600 grit and the stock has a dull sheen. The easiest finish for anybody to apply, and the best looking, is hand rubbed BLO. And it smells like a gun should smell.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:52 PM
shtrdave

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Thanks for all the input, I think i may have refinished one stock a long time ago, it didn't turn out bad, no idea on what I used on it. I know I have some of the Poly, have to check on paper yet.

Off to the hospital tomorrow for a couple of days for some surgery, and this may be a project to tackle while I recover. I will post up some shots of it once it is done.

thank you again.