Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:19 AM
BoomDeBoom
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Creating Contender Flexibility

Having a 1977 Contender with a 10 inch bull barrel in 22 Hornet, I am looking to buy a 22 LR match barrel and wood to have both a pistol and rifle for use as a paper cutter and steel clanger. If I put a 16 1/4 inch bull barrel on it, what fore end length would be best for both pistol and rifle? I would like only one fore end for both. They will be shoot off a bench rest, a tri-pod and off hand.
I think as long as barrel is over 16 inches both pistol and rifle from this combination is possible.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hole spacing will determine the forearm you'll need of you're going factory Super 16. There were three different hole spacing setups used over the course of production with the Super 16s. I have samples of each. Early was a one hole, followed by a two hole with Super 14 spacing (approx 3.1") and the later ones had slightly wider carbine spacing (approx 3.5+"). If you're going custom bull barrel, say MGM, you'll need to go with a G2 rifle forearm to accommodate the barrel width.

All my 16s are used as carbine/rifles. On a Contender pistol rig, that long 16" plus barrel on a pistol is too awkward for my tastes. That's me. Others may like it.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:39 AM
BoomDeBoom
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
Hole spacing will determine the forearm you'll need of you're going factory Super 16. There were three different hole spacing setups used over the course of production with the Super 16s. I have samples of each. Early was a one hole, followed by a two hole with Super 14 spacing (approx 3.1") and the later ones had slightly wider carbine spacing (approx 3.5+"). If you're going custom bull barrel, say MGM, you'll need to go with a G2 rifle forearm to accommodate the barrel width.

All my 16s are used as carbine/rifles. On a Contender pistol rig, that long 16" plus barrel on a pistol is too awkward for my tastes. That's me. Others may like it.
Thanks Rimfiregal. I am looking to start with a 22LR and wind up with wood work that will allow me to add other calibers (17 Hornet, 17Hrm, etc.) for both pistol and rifle. I would be using aftermarket barrel and stock manufactures. A fore end that would allow 14, 16 inch and longer barrels with the G1 action is my goal. I may have to invest in a G2 in the future, but love the trigger on the G1 I have.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 PM
jrothWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Consider location second frame / reciever.

Got a G1 and most of the 10" octagon barrels, than acquired two of the 21" carbine barrels. [30/30 and .223]

Then recently bought a second fram to keep the carbine barrel and reactivate the 10 inchers, for use.

I think there was a notice from T/C indicating that any 16 inches on a pistol frame needed to have the butt-stock and proper fore-end, on it the avoid ATFE actions.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BoomdeBoom, I think it'll be much easier to add the forearm you need, once you find the barrels. Lots of firearms out there to be had and still at good prices, but the barrels are the main thing.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:53 PM
BoomDeBoom
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothWA View Post
Got a G1 and most of the 10" octagon barrels, than acquired two of the 21" carbine barrels. [30/30 and .223]

Then recently bought a second fram to keep the carbine barrel and reactivate the 10 inchers, for use.

I think there was a notice from T/C indicating that any 16 inches on a pistol frame needed to have the butt-stock and proper fore-end, on it the avoid ATFE actions.
jrothWA, I checked with a barrel manufacture who assured me that a barrel over 16" on a contender can act as a rifle or a pistol. A barrel under 16" in not allowed to be used as a rifle, but can only be used as a pistol. I am not an attorney so, I will continue my research into this question. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:53 AM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting info. I have a G-1 with mostly 10" barrels.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:28 PM
unklchuck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BoomDeboom, I agree with your thoughts on the Super 16's on a pistol frame. It is my understanding that the Super 16's were made just over 16" to assure legality when assembled as a rifle / carbine. I have been assured that there is no restriction on the barrel length on a pistol, only minimum lengths for rifles [16"] and shotguns [18"]. I am not an attorney, so take this for what you think it is worth.
Another point in this discussion to ponder is whether the ruling on assembling the original Contender as a pistol or rifle interchangeably applies to the G2 Contender and the Encore. I have not found anything definitive on this yet and don't have the need to ask the BATFE as my only carbines are original Contender.