Looking for suggestions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Looking for suggestions

I currently have a T6i Canon EOS and it went on the fritz with an error code 70. It is now at Canon USA to see if they can fix it. I have a number in my head that will probably be less than they want for the fix. IF that happens, then I'm going for something new outside the canon lineup. Need to stay under $750 or so. Nikon D5500 and D3400 are looking like potentials. Any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2017, 12:08 PM
NotBob
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a bit confused. Unless they want to charge you more than $750 for the repair, why would you want to spend that much on a new camera instead of whatever Canon will charge? Which, btw, may well be nothing more than removing the battery to reboot the camera and disabling auto clean which is the fix for Error 70. Often just rebooting the camera without changing the auto clean enable setting works. They may, however, delete and reload the software.

In any case, a new camera of a different brand will certainly cost more than the repair. Plus, if you have an external TTL or E-TTL flash, pretty much a necessity for this level of camera, you would have to replace that as well. Same with lenses unless you just but a "kit" version. Of course you could sell it to get some of your money back and help defray the cost of a new one but it will still be more money than simply paying for the repair.

Whatever you decide, with anything which provides Error codes, google Error Code for that particular product as the fixes are often available on the 'net, sometimes on the manufacturers' websites.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:47 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go to a camera store and actually handle any smaller mirrorless cameras. I find that some are hard to hold, fingers too easily press buttons that you don't want pressed. Best Buys is about the only place around here that still has cameras you can get your mitts on. 1917

Old 04-02-2018, 01:54 AM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Sorry for not answering NotBob. They asked for $350.00 to change a board out (They indicated it was a known flaw in the T6i). I declined as that was over half of what I spent originally and they only covered it under the 'new' warranty for 6 months. Didn't feel like buying the thing again every two trips to the factory. Would have except for the new warranty thing. The lady kinda laughed and said since it was a known issue, they wouldn't cover their own work for the standard year. ??? Sticking with the T2i that I also have and will see what gets better next year.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
there are several review web sites out there that go over cameras so you dont have to. But its up to you how you want to buy or do things.

heres what i use.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/

what i like is that i can do side by side comparisons of the phots they taken with the cameras and lenses. they will do a still live and outdoor shots and test patterns. Some are not the same, but you an get an idea on how good or not the setup is.

if and when if find 2 or 3 that i may like i will try to find locally to do the touchy feely thing and to see how it fits my hands and if the controls are in a good place. Sometimes the review may point out the sucky control(s) position and it may be true for me.

you should know by now that for things like this everyone will have their own fan boys and favorites. And this is why i choose to do my own research.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine's a Deardorff v8

Nothing can go wrong that a wee bit of Elmers or some gaffer's tape can't fix