Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:05 PM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
......... As long as he is far enough away I don't shoot anyone over a vehicle. We also avoid confrontations. We assume everyone is carrying a gun and in Pa. that is often true............
Well, from my perspective that is about as rational as a person can get. Better to be ready to move out. Shoot someone over property and in many states you will become a convicted felon from a plea-bargain. I with you on all points.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:07 PM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"1. I am NOT police or military. I really want the BG (bad guy) to change his (or her) intention & go away. Unlike the police, I donít want to Ďacquireí the BG.
2. According to research by Dr. Gary Kleck, 90% of attack are stopped simply by the presence of a gun. Any gun. In 5% of encounters the gun is fired. In the other 5% the BG is shot.
1st Rule: HAVE A GUN. "

These 2 points are lost on a lot of people, especially point 1.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:08 PM
Tehutson
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Better than nothing

I have been the Paramedic in many shootings over a 30 year spam. The biggest patient I had shot was A 6í8Ē male built like a tank that dropped dead on the spot that hit him dead in the mouth with a .22. And I have had people shot with 9mm and .45 some several times that made it. Itís shot placement and also damage once it gets to where itís going. I carry a .22 mag derringer most places and a 9mm Springfield XP mod compact or a Glock 30s at other times. Would I want to be in a gun battle with a 2 shot .22 mag. .......well not really. But if the other guy is Not expecting it or has a knife Iíd do what I need to do. Long story short a .22 is better than a rock I donít care what the other writer says. A 9 mm is better,
a 45 is better yet and a shotgun is better yet. If youíve shot much you know that. Carry the biggest caliber you can hit with and carry.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:19 PM
geoulri1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
as much as I like the .22 for weight and better gun control. the whole misfire thing bothers me chances are it will fire. I mean really how many or what percent are misfires its just it can happen and maybe at the wrong time..just my 2 cents
Old 05-30-2019, 06:28 PM
accooper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most people who conceal carry never have to pull their gun on somebody. I or my wife have done it twice in two years.

The first was a drug addict who lived across the street from me and decided he didn't like my wife so he tried to burn down our house with us in it.

When I pulled on him he ran back across the street. Latter that week he OD-ed at his mom's house across the street.

I had pulled my S&W Model 59.

The second time was a road rage situation. This guy tried to run us off the road coming back from my sisters house. He decided that yes he owned the road and he wanted us off his road. He was a meth head and had several reports of road rage on him at the Bulvede police dept.

When she told him to hit the ground he did. When the police came all they did was give him a road rage ticket. That was my wife's small .22 auto.

My wife now carries a small Ruger .380. But I tell you what, if all I had was a .22 I would use it. Shoot for the face.

One area to think about is that you really don't want to use hollow points in a short barrel .22 as they won't expand nor penetrate much. A 40 grain solid high speed is the way to go. And at the short distance you would be shooting from, just about any brand would do except Thunderbolts.

Normally what I carry now is either a S&W SD 40 VE or my model 59. The 40 with 165 grain critical defense or 124 grain Sig V's. These both shoot in less than 2 inches at 30 meters.

My advice to mostly women(teachers) is shoot what you can control. If that is a .22 LR that's OK. If its a short barrel .380 or 9mm that's OK. But practice practice practice.

accooper
Old 05-30-2019, 06:35 PM
accooper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BTW if you have ever heard of the Sutherland Springs shooting, I lost my Niece in that shooting and will always carry. Even if it's a .22 LR.

accooper
Old 05-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo57 View Post
Several years ago I read an article in one of the better gun mags concerning this subject. The writer was a trauma surgeon in the emergency room of a downtown Chicago hospital and had years of experience in bullet wounds. He stated that the .22LR HV round is far more effective than most people believe. Based on his long experience he said that the .22's effectiveness was due to the fact that because its relatively slow speed causes it to ricochet when it hits a bone rather than expend all of its energy in one spot. The ricocheting bullet then pierces surrounding soft tissue organs such as liver, spleen, kidneys, etc., causing multiple wounds simultaneously. The .22LR may not knock the assailant down but it sure causes multiple wounds.
He's correct ,but that does not make it a good defense weapon, Sure it might kill the BG ,but you need him stopped when he attacking you, he can empty his gun while bleeding to death .thats does you no good. there's a lot of people who died from 22s because almost everyone has one. But the main thing in a deadly force cond. is to stop the threat. Sorry but the 22 lacks in that dept ~~JMJ~~

Last edited by Mossbergman; 05-30-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 PM
Siloshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoulri1 View Post
as much as I like the .22 for weight and better gun control. the whole misfire thing bothers me chances are it will fire. I mean really how many or what percent are misfires its just it can happen and maybe at the wrong time..just my 2 cents
================================================== =
Interesting discussion. If all you have is a .22 it is better than nothing or throwing rocks but I don't favor it for several reasons. The cartridge is unreliable even with top tier ammo. I had a dud the other day with a round of Eley Match. .
22s don't always cycle in semi-autos either and jam or stove pipe frequently.
If you want or need a small caliber hand gun get a .25 or .32 auto center fire. More reliable. Next, most experts I've read don't prescribe drawing a gun to diffuse a situation. Some states it is against the law and called brandishing a weapon. Pulling a gun may have just the opposite effect and start a gun fight especially if the agitator is armed. I've read that you pull a gun as a last resort and use lethal force to defend your life or someone else and use it until the perpetrator is neutralized (i.e. dead).
There is a reason police went from the .38 to the 9mm and now most use the .40 S&W. Too many wounded bad guys that came back and killed or injured police officers. In cars they say there is no replacement for displacement and the same goes for hand guns. If you are going to use one. Make sure it is the right tool for the job.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:47 PM
traffer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can get the "American 180" with a 9" barrel. Does that qualify as a pocket gun?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:48 PM
Bumeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the range I anticipate needed to save my life, a drawn out / 10-20 yard shoot out probably isn't in the cards.
Sights? Probably wouldn't have time to use them.
If there is an exit, I will take it...That being said, a .380 G42 is as small as I carry with 90g FTX Hornady critical defense.
G27,G30S is also on my card. But carry the .380 90% of the time. Took me a while to convince my self on a .380. Let alone a .22
But advancements have been made and now feel a .380 with the right ammo is enough for most close range situations.
Knowing I will most likely not need my 15 or 17 round 9's and .40's I don't carry them.
I do have a S&W Model 69 on its way to my FFL. 5 shot's of .44 should do it.
Man or beast.
Am thinking multiple follow up shots at close range is probably unlikely.
As most gun fights are measured in feet rather than yards. And a miss is a miss.
Caliber does not matter. Spray and prey is not a good plan.

I will only fire if my life is in danger. And would not risk my life on a rimfire .22
Not even if they had a rimfire .22
As I plan to win..........when it comes right down to it.

Last edited by Bumeye; 05-30-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:09 PM
mje

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelsniper View Post
A 22 is sure better than nothing, but if you run across an assailant that's high on meth or PCP, you probably aren't going to stop him with a 22LR.
The mythical assailant high on meth or PCP. Has anyone here ever read an actual report of such a case?

I completely agree with the original poster. My gun is there for dire emergencies only, and I donít expect to ever draw it, let alone shoot it. If I do, caliber wonít matter as much as aim.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylo View Post
We had a deer hit by the house & the lady called the State Police & a lady trooper showed up. The poor deer was still alive & she shot it 5 times in the body with a 9mm & it's still alive so I asked her to shoot it in the head & she told me at the acadamy they were taught to shoot it in the body which I think she missunderstood. She shot it in head & it was over.
I alway thought they were taught 2 ctr mass third to the head ,incase of body armour ~~JMJ~~
Old 05-30-2019, 07:34 PM
Bumeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I donít expect to ever draw it, let alone shoot it. "

I will only draw it if I am going to kill the person trying to kill me.
Keeps things simple. Waving a gun around is a bad idea.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:26 PM
Ribkick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a 22 revolver snub, a 38+P snubbie, and a 357 snubbie. All good self defense arms

The 22 is the favorite as to weight, size and hide-able,

I will only use revolvers due to simplicity no ejected shells and follow up shots.

Screw the autos...
Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribkick View Post
I use a 22 revolver snub, a 38+P snubbie, and a 357 snubbie. All good self defense arms

The 22 is the favorite as to weight, size and hide-able,

I will only use revolvers due to simplicity no ejected shells and follow up shots.

Screw the autos...
If you have never had a revolver jam it is because you have not shot one enough. When they do jam it is catastrophic. You will not get it back into operation quickly. My S&W 638 went away after I got it back from the gunsmith. Cant ship a loaded gun even if it is locked up. I had a factory primer back out on a 44 mag. It took the range master and I 30 minutes to get the tools to un jam it. I also had a bullet move forward in a factory round with that gun. Had tools that time but it still took time. A tiny bit of residue went behind the ejector star on a reload and gun would not close. That was simple. Unload, clean , reload. Still takes time.