Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM
Stan1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
3rd time shooting Camper

Been getting to know the Camper a little better and I'm liking it better the more I shoot it. Did a more thorough cleaning after 300 rds. Removed the sight rail and slide, including removing firing pin assy and gave it as good a cleaning as I could. Lightly lubed and a bit of grease on hammer face and portion of slide that cocks hammer. I found the right moves to make to get the slide off and on without bending guide rod. Not at all hard to do after the first time. Made a weedeater line pull through for the bore. Teflon tape on the sight rail screws seems to work well at keeping them snug. I have 600 rds with no fails to feed, extract or eject on it so far and I'm pleased as can be. Only 2 fail to fire. As a bonus it does great with budget priced Aguila Super Extra HV. Need to order spare bits and pieces. This fun pistol will be shot regularly.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Aguila SEHV is my favorite ammo for all my .22s except for my HS Sport King. I use Aguila SESV in it.

VH
Old 05-14-2019, 04:31 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give Blazer a try, 40 grain lead round nose HV. My 5.5" barrel Buck Mark Plus stainless UDX does the best with it. I've tried CCI SV expecting it to be better, but Blazer wins every time in my Buck Mark.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 PM
hokiefyd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 4" micro bull shoots Blazer HV really well. It seems to run okay on CCI SV, and it groups that about the same as Blazer, but reliability is about 60-80% with it. It seems that mine likes the HV ammo...at least so far. I have probably 300-400 rounds through it.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
My 4" micro bull shoots Blazer HV really well. It seems to run okay on CCI SV, and it groups that about the same as Blazer, but reliability is about 60-80% with it. It seems that mine likes the HV ammo...at least so far. I have probably 300-400 rounds through it.
Interesting. Are you having issues with it cycling because the SV has less *bang*? Mine runs SV just fine, and grouping is "good", but not as good as the grouping with HV Blazer.

In my 10/22T, I put the Kidd guide rod, charging handle and Heavy spring in; I was a little concerned it would have cycling issues with SV and the heavy spring, but it has never missed a beat, zero malfunctions in over 3,000 rounds since I put the heavy spring in. I clean it pretty well after each trip to the range, which is about a brick (500) each time.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 AM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
Interesting. Are you having issues with it cycling because the SV has less *bang*? Mine runs SV just fine, and grouping is "good", but not as good as the grouping with HV Blazer.
I think so, yes. I've ran Aguila sub-sonic and CCI SV in my Buck Mark and both will give the same types of malfunction -- it's usually a failure to eject. I think the slide will slide back (probably with the empty case), but it doesn't slide back quite far enough to hit the ejector, or to grab another round. The slide slides back forward, still with the empty case, and the firing pin drops on that empty case.

*Click*

At that point, I drop the magazine (still with more rounds in it), and manually cycle the slide and out comes the empty case from the round before. I reinsert the magazine, rack the gun, and continue to shoot. I didn't run a ton of this ammo through the gun (because it wasn't grouping any better than Blazer anyway!), but I estimate reliability to be 60-80%. That is, more than half the rounds functioned okay, but I'd get a few from each magazine that might have been a little too soft.

I did have one stovepipe with CCI SV on Monday, the only stovepipe I've had on this Buck Mark. I think this is where that particular round was JUST strong enough to push the slide back into the ejector, but without sufficient force to really send it out of the gun.

This, compared with Blazer, where the brass shoots out into a pile about 4-6 feet to the right of me! Maybe the Blazer I'm running is a little stronger than usual, and maybe the CCI SV is a little weaker than usual. But there's a very marked difference in the report and the recoil between the two rounds in my experience. The Aguila felt even softer than the CCI SV (predictably), but it had about the same reliability in the gun.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hokiefyd, I would just stick with HV ammo. Most likely it's not going supersonic anyway, with the barrel length.

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
Old 05-15-2019, 07:50 PM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
Most likely it's not going supersonic anyway, with the barrel length.
I had that thought yesterday as I was looking at ballistics charts for the various types of ammo I'm running. Many of them are measured out of a rifle barrel. Mine, being so short, shouldn't produce the same type of velocities. Thanks for that link -- I think that confirms the theory.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
I had that thought yesterday as I was looking at ballistics charts for the various types of ammo I'm running. Many of them are measured out of a rifle barrel. Mine, being so short, shouldn't produce the same type of velocities. Thanks for that link -- I think that confirms the theory.
If you find other sites with ballistics info for barrel length, I (among others) will be very interested in seeing it.

I do a lot of reading and research, but I don't have the tools to do my own testing...so I rely on what I can find on the web. Unfortunately, I think we are all in the same boat when it comes to that, as most sites don't really take rimfire as serious as us.

I would invest in a chronograph...but for the cost, it just isn't worth it, since I shoot what performs the best on my budget.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Dlbasinger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree, Cowpokey, my Camper and I are fans of Blazer Ammo.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking my 2 campers

I shoot only HV ammo , federal bulk, mini mags , etc, both pistols run flawless. one is 5", other is a special limited run 6.5".