Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Morr Accuracy Edge Silhouette vs D3 Precision Silhouette Rings

6K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Nosnil22 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey gang- I caught a thread on SteelChickens.com about silhouette scope rings written by member jbolt on that site. He's not a member here, so I asked & received his permission to copy & paste his post here, for your edification

jbolt on SteelChickens.com said:
Just posting for information sake.

Morr Edge Silhouette:

$85 shipped. Mine took two weeks to get with no confirmation on shipping. Each ring with screws weights 25.4 grams (0.9 oz). They came unfinished with minimal to no deburring so tool marks are visible and the use of a fine jewelers file was necessary before mounting. The bases needed to be spread to fit on the 1712 scope rail. This took a bit of effort to do. Once on the rail they are very solid. I didn't measure but the base screw appears to be a #8 and the ring screws are #6 so two different hex keys are required to install.

D3 Precision 1.5" tall x 11mm base:

$50 + $7.90 shipping. Ordered on a Friday and had them by Monday. Each ring with screws weighs 34.05 grams (1.2 oz). They came deburred with minimal tool marks, anodized black and ready to install. The base uses a clamping bar with two screws. The clamping bar is blued steel. Installed they are also very solid. The base screws are 4mm and the ring screws are 3mm so these also require more than one hex key.

Both rings fit true on the scope body with no need for lapping.

The shape of the Morr rings is aesthetically more pleasing but for the cost I would expect them to be deburred and anodized in either clear or black.

Morr Accuracy Edge Silhouette Rings, $85, only available in bare 6061 aluminum alloy:

http://www.morraccuracy.com/store/c2/Rings_&_Levels.html

D3 Precision Rings, $50 on EBay, Black anodized:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings-for-11mm-Dovetail-fits-Anschutz-and-CZ-1-Scope

Hope this helps-

DrGunner

#2 ·
I ordered Edge Silhouette rings 2 weeks ago, before I found out about D3 rings this week on RFC. I ordered a set right away, so now I have both. I spent $85 on the Morr Accuracy Edge Silhouette rings and was kind of disappointed to see tooling marks on them when they arrived. I suppose that does not matter, as I plan to have them anodized but it is kind of disappointing that I could not order them in black to begin with. A side-by-side comparison has already been done here, I am mounting a scope on my 1712 tonight using the D3 rings. They definitely appear to be stouter, and are very well-made with an excellent finish, perfect fit on the scope tube with no lapping necessary. In the future I will probably go with the D3 rings, while I prefer the aesthetics of those by Morr Accuracy, $85 plus a two week wait plus the hassle and expense of having them anodized or Cerakoted when there is a $50 alternative that’s prefinished and arrives in 3 days makes the choice easy.
I’ll likely mount my EFR with the Morr Accuracy offering, and mount my Sightron on my backup rifle as well as my FX3 30X on the D3 rings.

DrGunner

#3 ·
Hey Doc, might be a stupid question but I've always seen sihlouette rifles with high rings like this. Just curious why all the towering rings? Other disciplines usually recommend line of sight should as close to the bore axis as possible. Don't want to derail the thread but just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Hey Doc, might be a stupid question but I've always seen sihlouette rifles with high rings like this. Just curious why all the towering rings? Other disciplines usually recommend line of sight should as close to the bore axis as possible. Don't want to derail the thread but just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
No derailment at all, that's a perfectly legitimate query.

Close to the bore axis is supposed to reduce parallax issues, and that idea applies more to BR shooting. I used to think that, too- but time and experience have taught me that if my rifle is set up properly, the comfort and fit of my setup matter more. Raising the scope height for offhand shooting has advantages.

You want your head as vertical as you can get, plus- think about it more as you are "lowering the rifle" as you raise the scope. It's much easier to hold my rifle stable with taller rings. My former setup was Warne bases, which raised my rings about .2" above the dovetail rail, with my scope mounted on Warne QD Ultra High rings, which are .935" from rail top to scope bottom. The problem with them is WEIGHT. They're 2.9oz each, while the Edge Silhouette rings are .9oz each and the D3s 1.2oz.

You won't know how much better your setup will feel and perform for you unless you actually try higher rings. If you have a picatinny rail setup, you can easily buy a 1/2' or 3/4' lightweight aluminum riser for dirt cheap to test out what I'm saying.

I don't know if it will help you as much as it helped me, but I've found that the higher I mounted my scope, my scores improved, as did my confidence.
It especially becomes a noticeable aid when shooting 80 shot silhouette matches.

FYI- both brands of rings above raise the scope to 1.45", within .05" of the NRA Smallbore silhouette maximum height of 1.5'.

Regards,

DrGunner

#6 ·
Not that I know of, I'm just speaking from my own experience shooting silhouette for the last three-four years, and information that I've gleaned talking to other shooters and competitors in the discipline.

#7 ·
I have two sets of the Morr rings. Other than being a little tight fitting on the rail I am pleased with the application. Very secure and no questions about meeting the rules for height. I was unaware of a competing product at the time so wasn’t tempted to consider a lower cost option.

As to the higher mount...I find it much more comfortable for offhand shooting. Better for me to raise the gun to eye level than to lower my head to scope level. It’s just more comfortable and causes far less strain, which for me, effects steadiness.

Corky

#9 ·
I have two sets of the Morr rings. Other than being a little tight fitting on the rail I am pleased with the application. Very secure and no questions about meeting the rules for height. I was unaware of a competing product at the time so wasn't tempted to consider a lower cost option.

As to the higher mount...I find it much more comfortable for offhand shooting. Better for me to raise the gun to eye level than to lower my head to scope level. It's just more comfortable and causes far less strain, which for me, effects steadiness.

Corky
Well said, sir- thanks.

Just to add to DrGunner's reply on scope height.

Many silhouette shooters cant the scope in the rings so when the rifle is shouldered the scope is rolled toward the shooters eye for the cross hair to be level. This also aids in keeping the head straight. Keeping your head straight helps with overall balance.

The downside to tall rings is the reduced cheek weld on the stock comb.

Body proportions often dictate what works for each individual so it takes time and experience to build the stance and rifle fit. Even then it may evolve over time as experience is gained and one determines what does or does not work for them.
jbolt001- thanks for posting this on SteelChickens.com and for the added info here.
I think you'll find RFC is a great community of helpful folks with plenty of info to share.

Welcome!

DrGunner

#8 ·
Just to add to DrGunner's reply on scope height.

Many silhouette shooters cant the scope in the rings so when the rifle is shouldered the scope is rolled toward the shooters eye for the cross hair to be level. This also aids in keeping the head straight. Keeping your head straight helps with overall balance.

The downside to tall rings is the reduced cheek weld on the stock comb.

Body proportions often dictate what works for each individual so it takes time and experience to build the stance and rifle fit. Even then it may evolve over time as experience is gained and one determines what does or does not work for them.

#10 ·
DrGunner - thanks for all this info. Very useful as I'm going down the same path. It seems like some heavier mounts and rings combined with a 1712 and a Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20x40 efr will put you over 8.5 lbs and I thought Morr was the only game in town. This is good news! - Eric2U

#11 ·
With my body build and using the CZ 452 American, I tried the 1-1/2" tall route and was getting a "Jaw," weld instead of a cheek weld. I could adapt, but unable to keep as steady vs using 1" tall and having a cheek weld with my type stock. I still feel comfortable and I don't feel all that squinched up in the neck.

I am one that cant's my rifle too.

#12 ·
At our match this past weekend there were a few shooters using the Morr rings. I didn't look too close but they appeared to be finished ok. I was curious because one fellow said they were the lightest available. Aside from the accuracy of that statement, they did look light, as they do in the above photos. My 1712 with Talley lightweight rings and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 BT was almost an ounce over weight for hunter class. Talley's site says their rings are 4 oz. What do the Morrs weigh? The D3s?

#13 · (Edited)
That information was posted in the opening post of this thread.

Highlighted in red below to facilitate locating the relevant information:

jbolt on SteelChickens.com said:
Just posting for information sake.

Morr Edge Silhouette:

$85 shipped. Mine took two weeks to get with no confirmation on shipping. Each ring with screws weights 25.4 grams (0.9 oz). They came unfinished with minimal to no deburring so tool marks are visible and the use of a fine jewelers file was necessary before mounting. The bases needed to be spread to fit on the 1712 scope rail. This took a bit of effort to do. Once on the rail they are very solid. I didn't measure but the base screw appears to be a #8 and the ring screws are #6 so two different hex keys are required to install.

D3 Precision 1.5" tall x 11mm base:

$50 + $7.90 shipping. Ordered on a Friday and had them by Monday. Each ring with screws weighs 34.05 grams (1.2 oz). They came deburred with minimal tool marks, anodized black and ready to install. The base uses a clamping bar with two screws. The clamping bar is blued steel. Installed they are also very solid. The base screws are 4mm and the ring screws are 3mm so these also require more than one hex key.

Both rings fit true on the scope body with no need for lapping.

The shape of the Morr rings is aesthetically more pleasing but for the cost I would expect them to be deburred and anodized in either clear or black.

#15 · (Edited)
I have been communicating with Pete on his 3D rings. He will anodize in different colors, but did not get into it details. He is working in .9 and 1.1 inch heights right now. The 1.1" height, best fits NOT having a jaw weld with my type stock. D3 looks good with its design. Because I have a CZ 452 with a rounded top receiver vs flat top, will the D3 allow for the clearance? The Morr did not and had to send back a couple years ago.

I currently have rings at 1" height and have tried the 1-1/2" height using a riser.

Is this the Dr. Gunner from Sycamore? Or mistake?

#19 · (Edited)
My D3 rings, 1.1 inch height, clear anodized, are being mailed tomorrow. It was a special order request being clear anodized.

He should be adding more ring heights this week.
I now have 3 sets of the D3 rings to mounts my two Sightron SIIBS6-24x42SIL scope's, and my Leupold FX3 30X fixed. I bought a pair of Morr Accuracy Silhouette Rings in the 1.5" variety for my Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x40 EFR.

I decided to buy more of the D3s when setting up multiple scopes for 3 reasons:

1) Color: The D3s were available in black anodized, whereas Morr Accuracy only offers them in raw aluminum.

2) Cost: D3s were $50 plus $8 shipping. The Morr's were $85 shipped, plus the expense of having them anodized, which added the hassle and cost of another $50 between the anodizing and shipping both ways.... $50 for D3 being mountable out of the box, vs $135 for Morr, which included the hassle, time, expense & wait for a matching finish.

3) Fit: now that I have owned both brands for a couple of months, I can say that I LIKE the Morr Accuracy rings but I actually dislike the mounting system on them because of the design of their rail clamping system. It is a single screw with the clamping section one piece with a cut between the uprights that required repeated separation with a slotted screwdriver to allow them to fit over and slide smoothly on the scope rail. Trying to install them without expanding the rail clamp portions carries the very real risk of scratching the rail or damaging the bluing on my pristine Anschutz 1712. This would be no big deal at all if they simply needed to be expanded to fit the first time on initial install, but I have found that to NOT be the case. I have had to re-expand them every time I go to reinstall them or switch scopes/rifles.
The D3's design is far superior in this regard, with a two screw - two piece clamping system that is much easier to remove and install without risk to the rail.

For aesthetic purposes, IMO- the Morr Accuracy have a much more elegant design and modern/refined look while the D3s are more blocky and utilitarian. I don't regret the purchase of the Morr Accuracy rings, but I would not go through the expense and hassle of buying another pair unless I could order black directly from their website, and I would gladly have paid $40 more to be able to order them directly in black.

DrGunner

#20 ·
Anschutz 5098 trigger shoe

FYI- to anyone who might own an Anschutz 1712 or similar 54 action with the 5098 two-stage trigger that has that ugly pot metal trigger shoe, the maker of the D3 rings will be designing and selling a blued steel trigger shoe for the 5098. He said that he plans on making a curved shoe that is wider than the OEM pot metal POS that comes on the 5098 triggers.

DrGunner

#21 ·
@drgunner
Nice write up on your D3's. We were on vacation and got home last Tuesday and my 1.1 inch, clear anodized, had been delivered. The next day, I had them mounted and are sure nice. They really hug my 3/8" receiver with a superb fit.

I had lens implants in mid June on the one eye and the other was July 5. This past Wednesday, I had my final eye exam, and will have new spectacle lenses later this week. Yes, I still have to wear glasses....long story short.

I plan to go to the range to site-in and still shoot with the group this Thursday evening. Our Silhouette range is in a forest type setting with tall pines lined all round it. Low light conditions, was a huge issue with me. Forget seeing the Ram's, set far back in. With the fixed cataracts and glaucoma, I have to wear sunglasses. lol

I did a couple private msgs to Pat Nolan, just to see if he is still alive down in TX. It took a while for reply's, and still checks the board time to time. lol You still at Sycamore on Monday Eve's? Sorry folks for not private msging. I might come down.

#22 ·
@drgunner
Nice write up on your D3's. We were on vacation and got home last Tuesday and my 1.1 inch, clear anodized, had been delivered. The next day, I had them mounted and are sure nice. They really hug my 3/8" receiver with a superb fit.

I had lens implants in mid June on the one eye and the other was July 5. This past Wednesday, I had my final eye exam, and will have new spectacle lenses later this week. Yes, I still have to wear glasses....long story short.

I plan to go to the range to site-in and still shoot with the group this Thursday evening. Our Silhouette range is in a forest type setting with tall pines lined all round it. Low light conditions, was a huge issue with me. Forget seeing the Ram's, set far back in. With the fixed cataracts and glaucoma, I have to wear sunglasses. lol

I did a couple private msgs to Pat Nolan, just to see if he is still alive down in TX. It took a while for reply's, and still checks the board time to time. lol You still at Sycamore on Monday Eve's? Sorry folks for not private msging. I might come down.
Alas, I have not been to Sycamore this year. I believe they hold 1 match/month on Saturdays- non sanctioned as their Ram line is 100 YARDS.

DrGunner

#24 ·
I met Pete Deal at the silhouette nationals this week.
Great guy with a great product!
I bought a set of D3 1.5-inch rings to put on my 54MS.
If I learned anything this week, it's the fact that my rifle could be set up much better than it is now. Everyone there was very helpful, especially at the seminar yesterday.

Cheers,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.