What's a Steel Challenge? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 PM
DarkTerritory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's a Steel Challenge?

Someone mentioned this in passing today, was looking to find out more about it.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:43 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's a link to the official sanctioning body, including video, rulebook, etc: http://www3.nssf.org/rimfire/?#&panel1-5

It's a speed match in which you must hit a number of steel targets, typically in any order with the "stop" target last, and the winner is the one with the fastest time. The size and placement of the targets can make it interesting and challenging. It's for both .22LR pistols and rifles.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:13 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In a word it is,,,

In a word it is,,,

FUN!

Aarond

Old 12-30-2017, 12:16 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a great way to spend a few hours at the range. There are 8 different stages stages to shoot. You shoot each stage 5 times and throw away your worst run.

You can shoot centerfire or .22 or Pistol Caliber Carbine. You can easily spend the day shooting everything.

Go to YouTube and search out the Steel Challenge Nationals and you will find a lot of videos so you can watch what's happening.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:20 PM
6PtStar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We shoot an unofficial Steel Challenge in Texas. Donít adhere to the official courses. Always different every month. 5 or 6 Stages, Shot 5 Times use 4 for score. Generally donít go over 6 rounds on each course because we have a revolver class as well as pistol and rifle. Just fun.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 PM
DarkTerritory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Gents, it does sound like fun. I was told of a club about a half hour from me that does it every Friday (only once a month for Rimfires) but I didn't know what was involved. I think I'll take them up on the invite first chance I get!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Lew-10/22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is the link to Steel Challenge. They have divisions for rimfire pistols and rifles with iron sights and with optics.

https://steelchallenge.com/
Old 04-22-2019, 03:00 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
6PtStar, that sounds like fun. I went to a local match to see what was going on and every shooter there had specialized gear. Ruined it for me. I am just not interested in $2K+ race guns. I keep wondering what happened to the informal fun matches that frowned on fancy gear. Looks like you are keeping them alive. I would love to see matches that require stock out of the box firearms and no fancy ammo. Seems like an arms race out there.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:05 PM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
6PtStar, that sounds like fun. I went to a local match to see what was going on and every shooter there had specialized gear. Ruined it for me. I am just not interested in $2K+ race guns. I keep wondering what happened to the informal fun matches that frowned on fancy gear. Looks like you are keeping them alive. I would love to see matches that require stock out of the box firearms and no fancy ammo. Seems like an arms race out there.
I couldn't agree with you more about the seeming disappearance of fun matches. I haven't looked at the steel challenge rule book yet but the NRA Precision pistol/Bullseye rule book is 66 pages long.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:38 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How about a steel challenge for box stock semi auto 22lr rifle. Optics allowed like a red dot or low x scope. Some of us old guys dont do well with irons. I can still handle a peep though at short range. Weight limits, no trigger mods. Basically an unmolested Ruger, Marlin, Remington or similar. Probably not an issue but over the counter HV ammo only. Maybe even supply one brand for everyone.
Could do the same for pistols.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Viper225
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We still have a fair number of stock guns competing on our range.

My MK III has had the Majestic Arms Take down bolt installed (Improvement for cleaning only). The Extractor has been changed to try and get it to function more reliably. It has had a little more work than that, but mostly to get the function a lot closer to 100%. I am still trying different ammo to see what it eats best.

My 617 S&W revolver is stock except for the Fiber Optic front sight.

I shoot to have fun. My practice is when I am shooting our monthly match. I am not going to beat the guys who practice on the range 3 evening a week between the match's. I do not have to win to have a great day at the range.

Bring what you have, and shoot it the best that you can. You will get better as you go. Any shooting that you do makes you a better shooter. Come on out and enjoy yourself, and meet new people with similar interests.

Bob R
Old 05-27-2019, 10:50 PM
38super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can't buy a score. Doesn't mean the spendy do dads don't help but I've seen stock guns smoke the fancy stuff. Steel is a very important skill development tool. Shoot within your capability, when comfortable push a little. Miss a target, slow down a tad. Most people tend to slide off the plate as the trigger breaks, hesitate on the plate to get the hit. Don't try to make up the lost time it's gone and you don't want to lose more. Very addicting, you've been warned.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:35 PM
pans858
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
We still have a fair number of stock guns competing on our range.

My MK III has had the Majestic Arms Take down bolt installed (Improvement for cleaning only). The Extractor has been changed to try and get it to function more reliably. It has had a little more work than that, but mostly to get the function a lot closer to 100%. I am still trying different ammo to see what it eats best.

My 617 S&W revolver is stock except for the Fiber Optic front sight.

I shoot to have fun. My practice is when I am shooting our monthly match. I am not going to beat the guys who practice on the range 3 evening a week between the match's. I do not have to win to have a great day at the range.

Bring what you have, and shoot it the best that you can. You will get better as you go. Any shooting that you do makes you a better shooter. Come on out and enjoy yourself, and meet new people with similar interests.

Bob R
This⤴
You'll always have guys pushing the equipment game. So what? Makes it fun for them to invest in their hobby. We've got master class shooters through rank amateurs shooting steel challenge and all having a blast!
You can go and start your own basic match with your own rules, and by the 2nd match you'll have a few guys making equipment adjustments. It's human nature.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:27 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Gives you one more excuse to buy gun sht. Am I any good? Nope. But it allowed me to build up a bunch of new stuff when shooting got kind of boring. Grain of salt, with all things shooting related. There are guys with $1500 scopes on 22's. Practical? Not for me, but in the end its what you do with the time and money you have and if it makes your life better then do it. Same with golf, muscle cars, all that stuff. Just mess around with what you're into and have a good time.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:45 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many shooters at our club shoot stock guns. It's whatever you want to do because you compete against people in similar categories. A stock Mark III does not shoot against one with a red dot sight. You are allowed to do internal work like a Volquartsen Accurizing kit and you can shoot with a compensator, although the compensator is more for making more noise so that the timer picks up you shots better.

I was a master shooter years ago but with health problems and age I'm now a D class. I have fun every time I go out. I love meeting the new people and talking to old friends on the range. That's the best part of a day's shoot.

All you need is a pistol or rimfire rifle or even a PCC (9MM rifle) to compete. Bring 5 magazines if you have them. If not people will either lend you some or load your extra magazine while you are shooting. Everyone seems to want to help the new shooters.