Probably done with Gun Shows - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:24 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I go to some guns shows locally...Topeka, KS, Kansas City, and yesterday went to Manhattan, KS. One state away is the best by far, the Wanenmacher Gun Show in Tulsa, twice a year spring and fall. If you get a chance to attend the Tulsa Show, by all means, GO! What an amazing extravaganza with 4200 tables and everything you can imagine.
But, a word about the local shows___frankly, the Manhattan show was a dud. But, I found a vendor who had some Eley 17Mach2 ammo. We talked for awhile and he eventually sold the ammo to me for $8. per 50. It was a bargain, but more importantly we exchanged some stories.. Met another guy who was sitting in the seating area (picnic tables). He had a stainless Ruger pistol I should have bought, but am saving my money for Tulsa in 2 weeks.
The Topeka shows are really turning me off by selling covers for your rain gutters...crap. But, I go anyway because it beats sitting at home watching TV. I found a vendor at the Topeka show who sold me a very nice NIB Buck knife that would sell at Cabela's for $70 + tax; his price $25 cash. I almost always find something to make the show worthwhile. I refuse to have a bad time. I always look for the things I like. I do agree with our OP; I do not understand the pricing on old, beat up, rusty military rifles. Good times.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:31 PM
kfields
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I guess it depends on where you live. Here is central western Ohio, I attend about 3 shows a month. These shows are locally run rather than those run by multi-state outfits. Costs are in the neighborhood of $4 - $8 and free parking and all within and hour or less driving distance. I always buy something - guns or ammo. As mentioned above, I generally avoid the largest gunshows run by the bigger promotors.
You gotta pick and choose which shows to attend.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:53 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I would definitely say it depends on where you live. I go to the same show twice a year. It's $12 to get in the door and it's so crowded that you can barely move. I wouldn't think of buying an actual firearm from there. I see local gun shops that I regularly visit selling the same firearms they sell in their shops for 20%-30% more $. I just go to find little odds and ends that you don't see anywhere else. The last one I went to a couple months ago all I ended up coming home with we're some rocks for my son's collection....

Old 03-25-2019, 10:52 PM
smatda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$330 for a Mosin-Nagant?? I (and I would think a lot of us) can remember when you could get one off the rack for $100 and for $130 you could get "pick of the crate".

Still kick myself for not picking up a couple.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:21 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got fed up going to the "gun show" several years ago. Pay a high price to walk thru the front door to see overpriced items you can buy from a dealer cheaper. Beat-up guns they want new prices for, ammo in boxes that are beat-up because they carry them around from show to show & can't sell because of being over priced, kids toys, car parts, yard sale items, etc. You get the idea. Years ago a gun show was just what it was advertised as.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:54 AM
cdiver2
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It would be interesting to see entry price and size of show. What makes me ask is our club shows are $12 entry but we have 500 tables, 2 halls and only gun related items.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:10 PM
C.C.

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Bore View Post
I haven't been to one in a few years, and before that it was only sporadically for at least another decade. Every time, I say I'm done. Then, years later, I'll get the itch, HOPING that something has changed, and I'll go to one, only to find out that the only thing that has changed is that they've managed to get even worse.

Gun shows in the 70's, 80's, and even some in the 90's were good and worth going to.

For the past 20 years, they've been a joke, and only going downhill from there.

Sad.
+1 ! My experience exactly!
Old 03-26-2019, 03:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
I still go. I still find an old rimfire or other gun on occasion. I also look for old knives, gun parts, magazines, Leupold scopes, etc. Some shows are duds and some are ok. Depends on what I find. Also I agree with much of the above. The shows are not like they used to be. In Oregon the shows changed almost overnight when the laws changed about private party sales. Many of the old timers with one table of old guns stopped coming to the shows.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:00 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
I feel the same as most here! I use to look forward going to one,not so much anymore.
Now I let my fingers do the walking thru Gunbroker and others!
Old 03-27-2019, 03:41 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I went to the SAR show in Phoenix last December. The previous gun show I went to was a few years ago. The SAR show is interesting enough, but, as others have mentioned, the entry fee, parking fee, and overpriced junk ruins the experience.

I can find better items off the internet than I can usually find at a gun show. There are rare exceptions around here but the internet has changed the way people shop.

If a person is going for the experience then it may make sense to go. If you are looking for a deal, you will probably be disappointed around here.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you live in the middle of nowhere like I do you really can't expect much from the gun shows and that is exactly what we get around here. I still go on occasion but pick my show carefully. I use the occasion more for entertainment than anything. The shows around here are still cheap so I don't feel to bad about going. I am old and have more guns than I need but more than I want not so much. Like the rest of you I'm just sad to see the way gun shows are going.

John
Old 03-28-2019, 01:19 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Our gun show is getting legislated away later this year. Going to leave a $850k revenue hole for the place that holds them, but that's okay with the powers that be. They want the site for housing.

I still like to go even with the outrageous parking ($12) and admission ($14). Most I just buy ammo and cleaning supplies. Last time I bought a gun there was in 1985. Bought a Jennings J-22 for $85, including tax and transfer fees.

When our local one goes away I'll do some driving to ones a ways out and make an event out of it.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post

When our local one goes away I'll do some driving to ones a ways out and make an event out of it.
Good excuse for a weekend in Reno?
Old 03-28-2019, 05:27 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exactly. Off to Reno to get some deals.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:34 PM
matchgrade

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
I went to the SAR show in Phoenix last December. The previous gun show I went to was a few years ago. The SAR show is interesting enough, but, as others have mentioned, the entry fee, parking fee, and overpriced junk ruins the experience.

I can find better items off the internet than I can usually find at a gun show. There are rare exceptions around here but the internet has changed the way people shop.

If a person is going for the experience then it may make sense to go. If you are looking for a deal, you will probably be disappointed around here.
Agreed you can usually find a better deal online if you are patient but there is something to be said for holding something in your hand as opposed to looking at a picture of it. If I'm after a current production / new plastic and stainless steel whatever (I never am but if I was) it makes sense to shop online and find the lowest price. I've bought a few older "classics" on line that I would have passed on if I could have examined them in person. Yeah you can try and return it, maybe but gawd the hassle. I've watched our local gun shows evolve over the last 20 years from true gun shows to semi-flea markets. 500 tables, 200 of which are jewelry, purses, jerky, stun guns and plastic holsters. Yet every once in a while you find a gem, usually at a private seller table or just someone walking around trying to unload grandpa's old .22. That's what keeps me gritting my teeth and going back...just in case.