OLD REDFIELD QUESTIONS - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:22 AM
SAM22673

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OLD REDFIELD QUESTIONS

My son has an old 6-18x40 AO redfield from my guess is the 80's. He got it in an auction a few years ago and just now put it on a savage 223. We were trying to sight it in but were not able to. The main problem was that there were too many holes in the board to figure out were this gun was hitting. We will fix this next time out with a clean board. My first question is does anyone know what the adjustments are at 100 yards. And second do they operate as our leupolds do were if you need the bullets to move up and to the right you move the dials in the direction of the arrows on the controls. Also if it turns out that the scope is broken does anyone know what it might cost to have it repaired. Or if it is even worth it if he can buy something new with equal or better quality for a few dollars more.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 AM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM22673 View Post
My son has an old 6-18x40 AO redfield from my guess is the 80's. He got it in an auction a few years ago and just now put it on a savage 223. We were trying to sight it in but were not able to. The main problem was that there were too many holes in the board to figure out were this gun was hitting. We will fix this next time out with a clean board. My first question is does anyone know what the adjustments are at 100 yards. And second do they operate as our leupolds do were if you need the bullets to move up and to the right you move the dials in the direction of the arrows on the controls. Also if it turns out that the scope is broken does anyone know what it might cost to have it repaired. Or if it is even worth it if he can buy something new with equal or better quality for a few dollars more.
Put the gun in a rest or the scope in a vise aimed at some point and turn the knobs - point of aim should change. Turn them back to zero and it should return to origin. If it doesn't, your scope is broken.

-Jim
Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
When you set it up, even on some bags, but fair 'solid', look through concentrating on the cross hairs and tap the scope with your finger. Watch for the cross hairs jumping at the tap. If they dont go for the test JCC said.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:26 PM
Sandy22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are at least some Redfield scopes of that vintage that adjust in the opposite way to most scopes. I.e. they go clockwise = up and right - "Imperial" direction.

They are appropriately marked, so just check before you start adjusting and follow the arrows.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:43 PM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy22 View Post

They are appropriately marked, so just check before you start adjusting and follow the arrows.
Even if they're not marked - do the test I mentioned and notice which way point of aim moves. I believe this will be opposite point of impact adjustment. If you turn the windage knob counter-clockwise and POA moves left, that is right adjustment.

If you aim the scope at a yardstick at a known distance, you can figure out the per-click adjustment too. Crosshairs on the 24" mark on a yardstick 25yards away. Turn elevation up 16 clicks and you are on 23", adjustment is .25moa per click.

This assumes the first test worked

-Jim
Old 03-25-2019, 03:39 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
The quickest and easiest way to both get on target, and see if the scope is working, is to bore sight it. Remove the bolt, set the rifle on some sort of solid rest, and center the target while looking through the bore (large black bulls work best). Now, being careful to not jostle the rifle, look through the scope and see where the crosshairs are. Try to hold the rifle steady and move the adjustments to get the crosshairs more or less on the center of the bull.
It may take a few tries to get it where it should be. The first shot should now be somewhere on the target.
You can also reverse the procedure by centering the crosshairs on the target first, then looking through the bore to see where it's pointing, but it's easier the first way.

If you can't get the bore and crosshairs aligned with each other on the target, then you probably have a bad scope, assuming you did things correctly.

And I'd guess it would be cheaper to get a new scope than have an older Redfield fixed. It will definitely be a lot quicker!

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 03-25-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 PM
Tsb3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I also own an old Redfield 6-18x40 AO. The adjustments up & right are both counter clockwise. I believe they are 1/4" @ 100.
A company called Ironsight Inc. repairs optics.

Last edited by Tsb3; 03-25-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:31 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as repairing a vintage Redfield I saw an outfit about a year ago that rebuilt them for $90 or so shipping included.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:30 PM
SAM22673

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thought I'd share an update on this old scope. It's not broken just set way to the left. My son took it out this past sunday with a 3x5 piece of cardboard. First shot and no bullet hole. He thought he saw some weed move to the left of the target. So he aims at the right edge on the second shot and sure enough a hole appears on the target. A lot of turning and he was able to walk it in. Next up is his 308. I think that one was also giving us problems.