Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:14 PM
03hdfatboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Another BALD EAGLE Rest Mod

Hello Folks,

I wanted to share my current Bald Eagle Modifications executed by member "aslap". He recently shared his modifications with members and market, and it seemed to fit with an edit I was looking for on my Anschutz BR stock (2-piece). He currently makes delrin plates and ears with the use of these slick ball bearings to capture the stock forend in lieu of the traditional sand filled bag. It should work fine for my other BR stocks as well. However to work with my other 3" stocks, I need to readjust the ears because my forend dimensions all vary a little due to different stock/brands. I am still very interested in the use of a light spring for the ears, I think all we need is a way to mount a backstop and a very lightly sprung spring attached between it and the ear with the ball bearing. This would eliminate having to loosen the ear hex nut to readjust for width when moving from one rifle to the next. Kind of taking the mod to the next level. Aslap are hearing me here, hahah.

He also helped my with a recent Anschutz BR stock, which is a two-piece stock and allowed for another modification. The idea for the use of the black forend plate was from a picture posted and performed by another member. Aslap cut a piece of marine grade black HDPE to match the original forend. He then grooved it to fit the shape and spacing of the ball bearings. The stock is locked in position and is smooth as oil on ice. Really smmooooth. I think the black looks good too, the original forend was a total mismatch with the grain of the stock anyway. I'm using my front BE with an ABRA rear and I can't wait to hit the range soon for testing. Enjoy, or don't, thoughts or concerns are certainly welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (246.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (221.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (269.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg image6.jpg (273.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpeg image7.jpeg (464.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:16 PM
03hdfatboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A couple more pictures.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (293.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (316.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:43 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Cranky LIKES

Old 03-23-2019, 06:00 PM
aslap

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Look good!!!

Let me chew on that springy idea for the ears. Might have an easy way to do it.

Let me know how the shooting goes.

Tony
Old 03-23-2019, 06:07 PM
JOKER708
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Maybe do it like a Hoen front rest -
Just a thought - I acquired one lately and it's pretty simple -
Love seeing the here proj cts -- thx for sharing -
Thx
Old 03-23-2019, 07:16 PM
AndersonTech

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
"Aslap cut a piece of marine grade black HDPE to match the original forend."
That turned out nice!

The rest of the setup looks great, too!
Old 03-23-2019, 08:48 PM
03hdfatboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER708 View Post
Maybe do it like a Hoen front rest -

Just a thought - I acquired one lately and it's pretty simple -

Love seeing the here proj cts -- thx for sharing -

Thx

Would you mind throwing up a couple pictures of the Hoen? Would like to see the idea. Thanks
Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 PM
03hdfatboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonTech View Post
That turned out nice!

The rest of the setup looks great, too!

Thanks. And props to you for the forend idea.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:49 AM
cdiver2
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tony that looks a little like the Arnold top that I have. Any plans to make one for the 0ne piece rest's?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:46 AM
ned903

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These are both great. Keep us posted on how they perform.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 AM
aslap

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The roller plate could be made for anything

As long as the dimensions were known and there were either holes in the top or the owner of the rest was willing to drill them, the plate would fit anything. Iím having a set of ears 3D printed to use on those rests where the ears might be a problem.

A fellow with a Cowan bought one and he had to cut it down to fit and drill a couple of holes but it is installed. Iím working on a complete plate that would fit the Cowan and be secured by the bars that hold the bag tie downs.

Tony
Old 03-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Bill40718
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Thumbs up ASLAP's Cowan roller plate

Here is a photo of the Cowan rest with Tony's roller plate attached. I didn't take any pics of the matching plate for the fore stock on the rifle.
The existing ears, on the Cowan rest, will be removed as they do interfere a bit.

I'll add more photos once I receive the new, full length, plate from Tony.

IMG_0290.JPG

I haven't shot the rifle with this rest configuration yet but it slides extremely smoothly on the rest. So light and smooth that I have to reduce the strength of the bungee as it returns the rifle with too much gusto.

IMG_0295.JPG
Old 03-24-2019, 05:38 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love these modifications.....I think they definitely will help resolve some of the issues with the rest as it comes from the factory. A year or so ago, I was trying to think of ways to improve the Bald Eagle rest. My concern was the slight shifting of groups as one moved about a target like the IR 50, ARA, USBR, etc. I felt this was at least partly due to the geometry of the gun fore end changing on the rest as one shifted from one bullseye to the next...particularly in elevation. I researched the Delrin rollers also and considered trying them. But I backed out as I was shooting factory guns like the Winchester 52, Remington 40X, etc. which typically do not have the flat bottomed fore arms. So I went with a thin strip across the bottom of the rest and on the sides. These strips were radiused to minimize contact area to a minimum and to reduce friction and lessen the effects of stock placement changing on the rest as one changed elevation on the rest.

What I came up with proved very satisfactory for my purposes. I can let the bottom of the stock rest on the strip (sometimes just the rail) while the sides steadied lateral motion. If the gun is not level, friction is so low that it will slide back on it's own...even with sides snugged up. I don't consider these to be better than the roller modifications pictured above, but since the factory guns typically don't have the wide flat bottoms of the custom guns, I decided to do the strips instead.

For those that are looking for something for a heavy factory gun....maybe.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 PM
aslap

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Same idea

Pump,

Anything to minimize the contact of the forend on the rest has to be a good thing. Like yours, moving the rifle up and down on the target makes the small contact area more like a fixed fulcrum so the recoil characteristics will stay more constant.

When I was putzing around with this, I used my spring trigger gauge to see how much force it took to move the rifle back some predetermined distance. IIRC, a bag too something like 6 pounds to move the distance. A HDPE plate on the rest and one one the rifle brought it down by half to 3 pounds. The rollers brought it to 1.5 pounds. More rollers didnít translate to less force to move since moving the rifle up and down on the target would simply move the rifle to whatever 2 rollers were closest to the center of the rifle plate for any given elevation position. Full contact with more than two rollers can only be had when the rifle is leveled and you lose that the instant you move the rifle on the target.

Fun stuff to modify!

Tony
Old 03-25-2019, 02:17 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tony, as I said, I really like what you have done. I find this very appealing for a couple of reasons. For one, I am by nature a "tinkerer" and much enjoy modifying things to suit myself. Secondly, it flat works for me, and my scores have improved since doing these modifications.

I too had considered putting springs on the side plates along with delrin rollers on sides and bottom, but since I shoot guns like the Winchester 52s, the 40X, and Anschutz 54 guns whose fore end widths and contours vary somewhat, I found it just as effective to lightly snug the side plates up to a particular gun before shooting it. Since in many cases the gun's fore end is resting on the accessory rail - which is not very wide - I do want the side plates to stabilize the gun without being tight enough to hinder recoil. With my mods to the BE rest and my home made rear "roller" rest, when I have things set up properly, the gun will slide back on it's own if I raise the front rest even a small amount to bring the gun's front above the horizontal position. So very, very little resistance to recoil. I put just enough pressure against the butt plate to hold the gun very lightly against the stop and grip the wrist with my right hand just enough to be able to pull the trigger.

My thinking is that the more consistent the recoil the better the gun will shoot. And I agree about having a narrow fulcrum point. If I had a custom built bench gun, I would be all over your modifications. But I have chosen not to go that route at this point, so I am happy with my setup. The first time I shot in a match after doing the mods, I shot a pair of 250 IR 50/50 targets with the Winchester 52, so it does seem to be working.

Keep up the good work.....