Wlanut or Laminate-a Boyd's Question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Wlanut or Laminate-a Boyd's Question

Thinking about a ProVarmint type stock for a Tikka T1x. Boyd's has reasonably priced offerings, compared to other manufacturers. The purpose is to shoot the Tikka from the bench and the plastic stock it comes with doesn't make that easier.

Boyd's offers their black painted laminate as a "base model" -- finished in a textured black paint.

They also offer a wide variety of laminate color combos for $15 more.. . . I just never warmed to them for my rifles, but I have seen folks here whose finished products turned out nicely (like their orange "Blaze Laminate" - fancy, but I don't know how long I'd want to look at it.)

Then for $35 over base, they offer plain-jane Walnut, stained brown.

So what do you think? The laminate will probably be more dimensionally stable than the plain walnut, but the plain walnut is sort of how I "see" rifles in my head.

Good arguments pro and con, or "personal preference" all the way?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be advised. The provarmit is a big heavy piece of wood. I bought one in coyote laminate as it blends in well with my terrain which has the same hue as a well worn khaki shirt. My light little Savage FV SR changed from a light handy rifle to a big heavy one.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:33 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I like walnut too, but also like laminates for the right rifle. I stocked this Savage 12 in .223 with a Pro Varmint with an adjustable comb, real happy with it.

I have quite a few Boyd's stocks in use, a good product. I also have a few Revolution stocks and they are very nice too.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:01 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Be advised. The provarmit is a big heavy piece of wood. I bought one in coyote laminate as it blends in well with my terrain which has the same hue as a well worn khaki shirt. My light little Savage FV SR changed from a light handy rifle to a big heavy one.
The weight doesn't bother me as I will be at a bench with the thing. In fact the weight will help with return-to-battery after a shot. I actually have a black one that I use with a CZ. It is utilitarian, but I could imagine a walnut stock being nicer to be around.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:40 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I prefer laminated over plain Jane wood or black paint. Take a look at Boyd's Nutmeg laminate. Looks like wood from almost any distance and it doesn't scream "Wild Thang" like the colors do.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
The weight doesn't bother me as I will be at a bench with the thing. In fact the weight will help with return-to-battery after a shot. I actually have a black one that I use with a CZ. It is utilitarian, but I could imagine a walnut stock being nicer to be around.
I understand if only bench shooting. I also agree with you about walnut over black. Black is blah.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For benchrest shooting I'd go with a laminated stock for the weight...every little bit counts when trying to hold it steady. Otherwise, for carrying in the woods I'd do the lighter stock.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If as you say its purely for BR the more stable laminate is the way to go. Or go with the plain walnut and blame the change in humidity in the wood when groups are less than desired.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:11 AM
Moedum1

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
CZ 455 Varmint in a Boyd’s Pro Varmint walnut stock. I too am not a fan of plastic or laminate stocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5E9879DD-B982-49FB-85ED-66AFAFA5BF93.jpeg (239.5 KB, 10 views)