Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:05 PM
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
shade tree gunsmithing-- spring style

I got this pair a couple weeks ago for $125.

The little one is a Winchester Model 1904 (a "boys rifle" ) that had some serious problems. The biggest external problem is that the DPO had attacked it with 150 grit sandpaper and sanded all the bluing off down to the white. In addition to being hideously done, it was already beginning to rust. Since it was already ruined , I took small stips of 400 grit paper and after having removed the action, smoothed out the coarse grain sanding. I degreased it and put about 5 coats of cold blue. followed by light steel wool and oil. I found a bolt sleeve that I probably didn't need, took every piece off, cleaned and greased and it works fine now. Bore is ok (I can see rifling) and it goes bang. You can see he also "fixed" the buttplate with the same sandpaper, but I've not reblued it yet

The tube fed job is a High Standard Sport King Special (aka " a Gill Gun" for the vertical rib gills on the non bolt handle side of the receiver...they're kind of visible in this crummy photo) , from about 1965. Not sure what if anything was wrong with this ( complaint was "it cocks but doesn't fire a round") other than at had never been cleaned in the past 60 yrs. Some quality time with it and my copy of "Firearms Assembly / disassembly Part III Rimfire rifles" got it working again and it fired and ejected even with 22 shorts. Much goop and crud was removed.

Not a bad afternoon's work . It's always zen-like to mess with old guns on a unhurried quiet afternoon.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22beatersSmall.jpg (492.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice purchase and nice work restoring these old guns.

The old Winchester rifle has a trigger guard and butt plate that are throwbacks to the black powder era. Very nice.

I have several of the firearms disassembly books. They are some of my most treasured books and sometimes are just invaluable.

Nothing like tinkering with old guns and bringing them back to life. It makes me appreciative of the mechanical geniuses that designed and built the guns. I love the tinkering more than the shooting.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:12 AM
leenie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bought a marlin 60 the barrel was loose in the receiver. took it apart cleaned the barrel and receiver with ether put Loctite 660 on it and put it together. I don't know how long it takes to set up so will wait a week it see if it worked. I bought a 490 Winchester once when I got it home the trigger didn't move I had to take it apart and use brake cleaner and a heat gun to get it working. it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. as a older gearhead taking things apart fixing them and putting them back together is fun. dave

Old 03-25-2019, 12:22 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfr View Post
The tube fed job is a High Standard Sport King Special (aka " a Gill Gun" for the vertical rib gills on the non bolt handle side of the receiver...they're kind of visible in this crummy photo) , from about 1965.

Looks kinda like a member of the Savage/Stevens/Springfield tribe.