Any other trigger worth buying over a Kidd? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:50 PM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

When l did my build the Kidd trigger job would not work in my metal frame housing, they said it was a 50/50 chance that it would work, well it didn't, Kidd took the kit back and l stepped up to the plate and bought the Kidd single stage trigger $199.00 best move that l did on a trigger.
lf your building go with Kidd single stage do it once and be done.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty222 View Post
When l did my build the Kidd trigger job would not work in my metal frame housing, they said it was a 50/50 chance that it would work, well it didn't, Kidd took the kit back and l stepped up to the plate and bought the Kidd single stage trigger $199.00 best move that l did on a trigger.
lf your building go with Kidd single stage do it once and be done.
I agree if you need the accuracy unless it is a pinker. Brimstone level 3 is inexpensive and very good for an economical trigger. Just depends on what it's for.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My tier 2 Brimstones are really good, but not as good as my Kidd single stage. Brimstone job on a BX trigger comes close. To me, the Kidd single stage is better than everything priced below it. It just comes down to how far below it the price is, and is that difference worth the difference in triggers? I have 1 Kidd single stage, 2 Brimstone factory tier 2's, and 1 Brimstone BX. The BX one, I bought the trigger itself with Cabelas points, so that part of it cost me nothing. Had I been buying the housing outright as well, then the difference would not have been substantial, and I would have got the Kidd for that gun.

The biggest competition to me from everything I've ever read would be between a Brimstone Job, a Kidd drop in, and maybe the new TandemKross/Brimstone drop in. Price point comes in close, all are much less than the Kidd single stage, and I've heard good things about all of them (though with the TK trigger, the jury is out, as most of that has come from sponsored shooters. Sorry, no Chevy salesman is going to tell you the Mustang is better than the Camaro).

Old 03-24-2019, 08:12 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I can't see reworking a BX trigger when you can use a Kidd trigger kit and get a better trigger. I have one BX trigger that I keep for something to use as a spare. All it's good for imho.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:56 PM
acechanley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a kidd on one gun and a timney on another.
Timney is the best of course itís more $$
Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 09:03 PM
steveo1989
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If you are comfortable working on your own stuff, you should be able to stone / polish the sear / hammer of a factory Ruger trigger group yourself. Polishing everything inside the trigger housing (the metal one), redoing the trigger return, and having proper shims, as well as a trigger stop screw, you should be able to get it at ~1.5#, crisp and clean. That will have you out, say, 35 bux for the trigger group, 2 bux for a section of .025 spring steel, 4 bux for a container of mother's gold polish, and 3 cotton buffing wheels for a Dremel. This will get you as good as or better than the aftermarket parts kits, and will give you a better feel for your parts and have some fun along the way. It takes about an hour.

To go lighter, say, for a bench gun, there is no better than the Kidd 2 stage.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo1989 View Post
If you are comfortable working on your own stuff, you should be able to stone / polish the sear / hammer of a factory Ruger trigger group yourself. Polishing everything inside the trigger housing (the metal one), redoing the trigger return, and having proper shims, as well as a trigger stop screw, you should be able to get it at ~1.5#, crisp and clean. That will have you out, say, 35 bux for the trigger group, 2 bux for a section of .025 spring steel, 4 bux for a container of mother's gold polish, and 3 cotton buffing wheels for a Dremel. This will get you as good as or better than the aftermarket parts kits, and will give you a better feel for your parts and have some fun along the way. It takes about an hour.

To go lighter, say, for a bench gun, there is no better than the Kidd 2 stage.
If that were true, then Brimstone would advertise 1.5lbs on their trigger work. good luck getting a reliable 1.5lb trigger on a home job.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
I can't see reworking a BX trigger when you can use a Kidd trigger kit and get a better trigger. I have one BX trigger that I keep for something to use as a spare. All it's good for imho.
Have you shot a BX trigger worked by Brimstone? I don't think anyone's drop in (including Kidd's) is going to get there. Granted, I've never touched the Kidd drop in, just heard tales. But I've handled 2 Brimstone BX triggers. Mine at 1.7lbs with a little takeup, and my cousin's at 1.5lbs which that particular group turned out every bit as good as my Kidd single stage. Since it will vary from trigger job to trigger job, there is no way I'd mark the Brimstone BX work on par with the Kidd single stage. However, I'd have to be convinced that the Kidd drop in is better. Maybe it is, but I'd have to be shown.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:51 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
And for the money, I would buy the Kidd single stage over buying a BX and then sending it off. Would not make sense on the cost difference. Myself, I didn't pay anything for the BX, so I was only out the amount of the Brimstone work. So for $92.50 (including my own shipping to), I ended up with a very nice 1.7lb trigger in the color that I wanted with a torsion spring return.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:38 AM
billmeek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Have you shot a BX trigger worked by Brimstone? I don't think anyone's drop in (including Kidd's) is going to get there.
Yup. I have tried the Brimstone on someone else's rifle. But I bought a Kidd 2-stage and compared. Admittedly, the Kidd 2-stage is 3 times more expensive than tier-2 job on the BX. But when it came time to decide on what to do for my second trigger (send it off to Brimstone or spend the money for the Kidd), I ordered another Kidd 2-stage.

Is it really worth the cost difference? That's up to the individual user.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmeek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Have you shot a BX trigger worked by Brimstone? I don't think anyone's drop in (including Kidd's) is going to get there.
Yup. I have tried the Brimstone on someone else's rifle. But I bought a Kidd 2-stage and compared. Admittedly, the Kidd 2-stage is 3 times more expensive than tier-2 job on the BX. But when it came time to decide on what to do for my second trigger (send it off to Brimstone or spend the money for the Kidd), I ordered another Kidd 2-stage.

I haven’t tried one of those. For me I might lean towards the Tandemkross which is basically what you have there but for my buddy I am still leaning to the Kidd single stage for 199
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmeek View Post

I'm was never comparing any single stage to a Kidd 2 stage. Thats the benchmark. Those two things are not comparable. Kidd drop in single stage kit, that fall into the comparison.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
I havenít tried one of those. For me I might lean towards the Tandemkross which is basically what you have there but for my buddy I am still leaning to the Kidd single stage for 199
He will not go wrong with that trigger. While I haven't shot them all, from my experience and everything that I have read, its the best single stage you will find. Yes I said my cousin has a BX trigger worked by Brimstone that equals my Kidd single stage, but thats one trigger job, and the next won't likely turn out the same (mine didn't). With the Kidd, you get what you order, and your expectations will likely be fulfilled. Mine has pulled 1.5lbs on a wheeler gauge ever time I've ever tested it, and has next to no takeup and a solid break. Kidd is just hard to beat.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:11 PM
davyjo314

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a custom tuned Ruger trigger...$89
A Kidd single stage...$$
And a Kidd two stage...$$$
The two stage is amazing. Admittedly its on a Full Kidd Custom Supergrade, but man is that trigger sweet!
Old 03-28-2019, 06:27 PM
CATMguy445
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to CATMguy445
I'm a little late getting into this game, but what I did the last time I built a general purpose, but accurate rifle was to use BX trigger (measured with a Lyman gauge at 2.5 lbs.) internals and put them in a TI housing, along with a TI trigger blade. Trigger breaks nice and clean, and with the TI housing, there is NO overtravel. You could probably do the same thing with a Kidd drop in kit in a TI housing, but you wouldn't need the trigger blade for that setup. Kidd supplies a trigger blade. Best of all, TI housings come in about 20 different colors, and they're aluminum. Just my two cent's worth.