Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:43 AM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Charger+Pistol Brace & LOP Opinions

based on a discussion between the atf and shockwave technologies (nothing available in writing), they identify that any pistol with a LOP over 13.5" is in a legality "gray area" due to a possible "comfortableness"

https://m.facebook.com/ShockwaveTech...286302/?type=3

I measured my charger with a copper customs adapter, kak tube, and the shockwave 2.0 brace. at full extension it is right at 14.25" lop. the easy answer is to use a shorter setting, which easily puts it under 13.5" lop.

i have a similar issue with my cz scoprion, due to the size of the adapter. the stock sbtevo folder comes in under the 13.5" lop, but i swapped that out for the adjustable sba3 with an adapter and end up at 13.75".

what are your thoughts? concerned?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:24 AM
Dover157
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Just pulled out the tape and it seems my charger with the CC adapter and a tail hook mod2 fully extended is right at 13.5. Not really concerned that a G-man is going to show up and measure my charger anyway lol. If they did I would be more concerned with the overall length from muzzle to extended brace, it’s just a bit over 28” without the can so probably on the darker end of the grey area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dover157; 03-25-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:28 AM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could always cut the brace tube down to make the OAL shorter if need be.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:35 PM
wade-19
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
This has been discussed with the SBA3 brace on AR pistols. The length is just about right with the carbine tube that comes with the brace , but if you add side folder, you go over in length. I guess the Copper Creek adaptor adds length as well . What most people with the folders are doing is filling the last hole on the buffer tube with JB weld so that the brace does not lock when fully extended. It will only lock on the second to last hole and meet the length requirement.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:12 PM
js0ne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What I did was trim a piece of serpentine belt I had laying around to fit the channel in the buffer tube from behind the second to the last hole to the end so fully extended now stops at the second to the last hole with no over travel.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:44 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info. I believe mine is under but I will have to check. Feds have one set of rules but some states may have others. You have to check rules in your state too.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dover157 View Post
Just pulled out the tape and it seems my charger with the CC adapter and a tail hook mod2 fully extended is right at 13.5. Not really concerned that a G-man is going to show up and measure my charger anyway lol. If they did I would be more concerned with the overall length from muzzle to extended brace, it’s just a bit over 28” without the can so probably on the darker end of the grey area.

So is this still legal or does it have to be exactly at 26" OAL?

The reason I am asking is because I want to build another pistol but with a 10" KIDD pistol barrel, so I can still use my PMACA chassis equipped with a GH TailHook MOD 1, which has OAL of 22.5".

It currently sports a 6" KIDD and if I assemble a 10 incher I would be over by half an inch.

Super accurate as evinced by its performance today, so I want to do another one but will scope it.

Tried the 6" today and I did not miss the 4" metal plate (not mine) at 100 yards, not even once with the SK Pistol Match ammo.

Guy beside told me gave me a go signal to hit his plate and that is what I did with my red dot sighted Charger build.

There were 3 of us going for the same plate; the owner had a 17HMR scoped rifle and his bud had an AR sporting a 1-4× optics---they could not believe mine was not missing.

Only had 20 pieces of SK PM left and they never missed hitting the target.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:13 PM
Dover157

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I just tried searching for and reading some of the rules and am more lost than ever. I could have sworn I read something about the 26”OAL but all I can find right now is a firearm with a barrel less than 16” with an OAL over 26” and without a permanently attached “stock” is neither a pistol or an SBR it’s kinda limbo land and is just a “firearm”, unless it began life as a “Rifle” with a barrel over 16” and a stock, in which case mere assembly will lead to black choppers circling your neighborhood and a possible tear in the space time continuum......

Old 03-30-2019, 11:36 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lol, you are a funny guy , D157 sir!

I see that you are also in NM.

I am not that familiar with the gun laws in the US as I have only been here for 3 years---permanent resident from the Philippines, so I can legally buy guns and work here..I am actually a government worker in the city of Gallup, NM.

Where in NM are you?

We bought a house in Abq. last year and probably we can shoot together and have some beer if you are close to that area, lol!

I have read it too and it says that the OAL for a pistol build with an attached brace should not be more than 26" from the tip of the brace to the muzzle end.

I could just reduce the length of my KAK tube by screwing it all in and be limited to exactly 26 inches if I am to build another action with a 10 inch barrel.

Btw, these KIDD pistol barrels are really accurate, I was doing bug holes at 20 yards with a mere 6 moa Vortex Viper red dot purely by instinctive shooting...I mean a 6 moa dot is pretty big for precision shooting but it did fine today.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:12 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pistols don't have an OAL requirement as rifles and shotguns do. When adding an arm brace to a pistol a fuzzy area develops. It is hard to put a length limit needed as arm length varies from person to person. Maybe someone can chime in with info on what the ATF has to say on brace length.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:10 AM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree the 26" rule does not apply to pistols. Checked my charger and it is 13" with the folding adapter. I also checked my AR9 pistol and it was 11.5" I could go shorter on the Charger but I would have to remove the folder. I bring the pistol braces in closer to my neck than out near the arm. Same with an AR. Keeps me more aligned with the target.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 AM
Dover157

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Agree the 26" rule does not apply to pistols. Checked my charger and it is 13" with the folding adapter. I also checked my AR9 pistol and it was 11.5" I could go shorter on the Charger but I would have to remove the folder. I bring the pistol braces in closer to my neck than out near the arm. Same with an AR. Keeps me more aligned with the target.

I was thinking about a folding adapter for my charger but was worried that with the tail hook and the CC adapter that would make it too long since my LOP without the folder is 13.5.... %%%% rules lol

Old 03-31-2019, 10:06 AM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dover157 View Post
I was thinking about a folding adapter for my charger but was worried that with the tail hook and the CC adapter that would make it too long since my LOP without the folder is 13.5.... %%%% rules lol

Mine is the polymer stock with a Copper adapter and shockwave brace. Picked up the folder on Ebay for $13. Adds a little weight and length but the fold is nice.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:08 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the Charger (no Ruger parts) that made me proud yesterday:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I had 1 FTF during the 1st round (I divirginized her just yesterday) but after that, it hummed like an electric sewing machine even during rapid fire.

This little bugger is very accurate

So now I would like to build another one with a 10 inch KIDD barrel, scope it, and put it on the same chassis.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:22 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its big brother kept banging the 4" plate at 200 yards

I wish I could post groupings but the 2 guys who were with me seemed to go nonstop and I did not want to put a cessation on their adrenaline.

Had to leave range and leave my targets behind for them to take a shot at it too.

I bring empty boxes with clean paper taped to one side, blot it with red 6mm-9mm Sharpie points, then secure them with weights (plenty of rocks and stones laying around) so they don't get carried by the wind.

Sorry for the OT, gents, lol!