Pac-Lite constant FTE - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:31 PM
ScottS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pac-Lite constant FTE

I have a Pac-lite upper on a Mark II lower. The gun has always been my "100% gun." Runs like a sewing machine. All ammo, all the time. Never had a problem, until recently.

Lately, the gun has turned into an FTE machine. I can't get through a magazine without at least one failure to eject. The resultant malfunction is always the same. They're almost mirror images. It manifests as seen in the attached pictures.

The gun has been run through the ultra-sonic cleaner. It's surgically clean. I installed a new ejector (Tactical Solutions Heavy Duty Ejector), and a new extractor and spring (Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor). I even replaced the entire bolt with one from another Mark II that runs flawlessly. I ran through 16 different magazines today (a mix of factory and Mec-Gar), and had exactly two magazines that ran without an FTE. Federal Bulk-Pak (550 round maroon box), which has always been my go-to ammo in all my .22's. I even took ammo out of two different boxes.

It's driving me crazy, and the gun is essentially useless in its current state. I'm open to any ideas of what might be causing this, and thoughts on what to do next.

Help me, RFC-wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8138.jpg (266.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8139.jpg (262.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8140.jpg (268.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8141.jpg (291.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8142.jpg (285.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 PM
Abigkidagain
US Navy Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am going to suggest a manufacture's defect in metallurgy. On brand new M1As, some break their extractors after three or four rounds. On the M14 website they have a list of parts you need to replace with USGI parts just to make your $2,000 rifle function.

I think the metal they used in yours may have just plain worn away. Such is life in today's gun world where parts are made out of melted down beer cans. It sounds like something in your upper may have merely worn away.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:35 PM
jm10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'd contact the company, I have received great service from them in the past.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had this problem with my Mark III and the Tactical Solutions barrel. The extractor came loose. All it too to fix it was a screwdriver and some Blue Loctite. Hope this works out for you.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:59 PM
bubba68
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you changed the mag catch or made any mods to it? I have seen a couple posts with the same problem you have and the fired case was hitting the top of the mag knocking it off of the extractor before it got back to the ejector to be kicked out of the ejection port.

You said you put a new extractor and ejector in the gun and it does it with different mags so that should eliminate them from the cause. Plus you changed the bolt out for another.

I would check the position of the mags to see if they are setting up a little higher than they used to.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:38 PM
ScottS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I had this problem with my Mark III and the Tactical Solutions barrel. The extractor came loose. All it too to fix it was a screwdriver and some Blue Loctite. Hope this works out for you.
The extractor? Or the ejector? I can't imagine using loctite on the extractor.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:44 PM
ScottS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba68 View Post
Have you changed the mag catch or made any mods to it? I have seen a couple posts with the same problem you have and the fired case was hitting the top of the mag knocking it off of the extractor before it got back to the ejector to be kicked out of the ejection port.

You said you put a new extractor and ejector in the gun and it does it with different mags so that should eliminate them from the cause. Plus you changed the bolt out for another.

I would check the position of the mags to see if they are setting up a little higher than they used to.
In order to eliminate the mag release as a possible cause, I swapped another Mark II lower in, and produced exactly the same result.

I'm beginning to think the cause might be related to the chamber. It seems like the cases might be "slow" to extract, and the ejector doesn't have a chance to kick it free before the bolt catches the expended case. I'm thinking maybe a burr or something in the chamber is causing too much drag on the case. I'm going to try some JB Bore Paste to polish the chamber and see if that helps at all.

Beyond that, it's a real head-scratcher.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:22 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
The extractor? Or the ejector? I can't imagine using loctite on the extractor.
I meant the ejector. Sorry.