Stevens 416 sling help - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:39 PM
smithpa68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Awe yeah!! Finally, 100 yards sitting with the sling. SR-21 target. One flyer but the rest were decent for this old girl. CCI Standard velocity. Had a little breeze but I was too lazy to play with it.

If anyone has the proper torque value for the front sling swivel plate screws, please share if you don't mind. I think I have it at only 10in right now. Worked pretty well.

Not sure why the target picture turned 90 degrees...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.jpg (483.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:13 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I very recently got my old 416 back
The swivel plate on yours and mine is held to the stock with a wood screw to the rear and a machine screw to the front.
The torque of the wood screw is 'dont strip the wood'.
The front screw is a different critter. It goes up into that barrel band and tensions the front end down. The other screws on way back around the trigger guard and magazine do Not hold the barreled action in the stock. The rear barrel mounting screw is forward of the magazine, into the forearm handhold area. This means it is the barrel held to the stock and the action 'floats'
I snug up that rear barrel screw well (but remember, it aint a headbolt on a Chevy) and have today played around with the front band (and swivel plate) screw tension.
My best results were with that screw only to fullfill the take-up and lightly contact its recess in the plate. No Tension...and it will not stay there. Im considering a light dab of light-duty Loctite to just give me some purchase within those threads so it stays where set. I am reluctant to not have any screw, as in a free-floated barrel, because of that one only, well up rear screw.
Btw, this no tension setting is consistent with what had generally been found by others of knowledge and experience on other rifles with front tension assemblies.
If you want to mess about with that front screw be aware that you want to make adjustments with the rifle in a horizontal position, as in shooting, with nothing but the barrel weight settling it down.
Also be aware that because of this design you may be loading the forestock with your sling and affecting the group location (poi) and size.

Last edited by gcrank1; 04-20-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:53 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
The inside of your holes appear to be nice and shiny as opposed to the finish otherwise, making me think someone drilled out those holes for some unimaginable reason. I'm thinking if you can get another plate that would be the way to go.
My impression exactly. The plate the OP needs is available at Numrich for $15.70.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:43 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
See post 15

He got a proper plate
Old 04-20-2019, 06:45 PM
smithpa68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do. . I am all set now. And it shoots awesome. My last “for fun” match I shot a 435-4x. (High power style at reduced 100 yard targets).

My best performance ever. I love this old gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 07:11 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Great to hear
Im loving mine too, cant figure why I ever sold it in the first place
Using RWS Target Rifle at 50yd. I can watch the bullet trail right into the spot I am looking at in the scope. Very Satisfying.
Im seriously considering taking this to the 200yd. we shoot in May; Geezer Match of 50yd. offhand, 100, 150, 200 off cross sticks from a turkey seat (or Any Position you want, really, but prone at 200 wont work because of a hump in the range).