Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How to remove rear sight on my Mark IV

I want to attaach a Picatinny rail to my MK IV, and I'm not exactly sure as to how to remove my stock rear sight, Is it in a Dovetail, or will removing the large screw release it? I don't want to make a mess of it. If it is in a dovetail, is a lot of force needed to slide it out, and from which side.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Bdwbiggdogg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Moat of the time u don't need to remove the sight .Here's mine to show u .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
This is a two part answer.

You do not have to remove the rear sight to mount a rail on the Mk IV, as they come drilled and tapped from the factory for exactly this purpose. But you probably won't be able to used the rear sight with a rail attached, so if you want to remove the sight, you can.

Here is my Mk IV Standard with a rail and red dot. I left the rear sight in place. I keep meaning to cut and radius the aluminum rail so it doesn't hang over the edge of the receiver, but I just haven't got around to it.

If you are resolved on removing the rear sight, it is like the Mk II-III. It is in a dovetail, and yes quite a bit of force is needed to drift it out. I did this with a Mk II Govt Target that I did not want to D&T.

I broke down the pistol and chucked only the receiver in a padded vise. The pads were the vinyl type with a horizontal channel down the middle.
I unscrewed the rear sight set screw.
I placed a business card between the rear sight and brass drift punch
I whaled on that brass drift punch with a three pound hammer. You have to apply a shoulder's worth of force over and over to get the rear sight to move. Ruger is clearly relying on a tight interference fit to keep that thing in place. A little Kroil might help. In the end, I was able to remove the Mk II sight and it isn't dinged or damaged. But I wouldn't do it again if I had another choice. Too many chances for a goober like me to ding the firearm.

[Edit: FWIW, I drifted the sight off right to left (facing the back of the receiver).]