Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:45 PM
eric123
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Prepping for my first Appleseed

I've never attended an Appleseed event, but wanted to prep for it as to not embarrass myself. Rifle is a RAR 8303 Compact(that was un-fired until this morning) with an ancient Weaver K4. I have $250 in the rifle, scope, and scope rings. Trigger is around 3#. Ammo was everyone's favorite, Thunderbolts. Range was 28 yards...No sling used...Last target of the day was 216(the only one kept and scored, and not full of holes by other shooters)...Should have broken 220, but I didn't get my last round off in standing to prone. Magazines don't drop free, so that isn't helping...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-22.jpg (490.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RAR22.jpg (488.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-11-2019, 06:54 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
I've never attended an Appleseed event, but wanted to prep for it as to not embarrass myself. Rifle is a RAR 8303 Compact(that was un-fired until this morning) with an ancient Weaver K4. I have $250 in the rifle, scope, and scope rings. Trigger is around 3#. Ammo was everyone's favorite, Thunderbolts. Range was 28 yards...No sling used...Last target of the day was 216(the only one kept and scored, and not full of holes by other shooters)...Should have broken 220, but I didn't get my last round off in standing to prone. Magazines don't drop free, so that isn't helping...
Your not going to embarrass yourself at all!

As far as magazines not dropping free, I have had to use sandpaper to remove burrs from inside the stock. Plenty of info in here on that.

In my opinion the simple fact your already practicing will likely result in you earning the Rifleman patch at your first event.

R/
Chris

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2019, 06:48 PM
Fynn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking good!

May I humbly suggest practicing the course of fire without a timer but rather with a stopwatch. Give yourself whatever time you need (without a tea break in between shots of course) and focus on accuracy, especially in rapids. You can see how long it takes you to get good hits on stages 2 and 3 then slowly work on completing the string within the time limit.

Enjoy the ride

Old 03-16-2019, 08:05 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Remember to breath
Nobody is shooting back so stay composed to the task (holes in the right place)
First get good
Then get fast, but Use All The Time
Have Fun (per #2, nobody is shooting back)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:24 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like you are doing just fine, you look to have a good foundation to build on!
Your first Appleseed, the instructors will teach you on the use of the sling.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:32 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
No sling used...Last target of the day was 216(the only one kept and scored, and not full of holes by other shooters)...Should have broken 220, but I didn't get my last round off in standing to prone. Magazines don't drop free, so that isn't helping...
Get a sling, and use it as they teach you! It makes a huge difference, especially prone... which is where it looks like you could use some help. A nice tight sling in prone is almost like shooting off a benchrest.

Get up to speed with the sling, and fix the mag issue... and your score should go up SIGNIFICANTLY.

Good Luck!