Why? Why are bathroom cabinets shorter than kitchen cabinets? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWinCO View Post
I have the same problem as your dad, bending pushes three disks in my back, shaving was never one of my favorite things, now I have an excuse to forego.
A woman approached the yogi and asked why holy men had beards. The wise man regarded her for several long seconds before responding.

"How old are you," he asked.

"I am forty-years old," she responded.

"In those forty years have you not noticed it is the nature of men to grow beards? Nature has given men beards. That is the way of it. So the question to ask is not why some men have beards but instead one should ask why some men choose to remove what nature has given them."
Old 01-20-2019, 09:41 PM
miker22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now that y’all have solved the cabinet height question, why are electrical receptacles not at a natural working height instead of ankle high?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 PM
RickR

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker22 View Post
Now that y’all have solved the cabinet height question, why are electrical receptacles not at a natural working height instead of ankle high?
That's a great question. I wish I had thought of that back in 1978 when we built our house. I did put one right above the dresser so my wife could plug a hair dryer in.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:14 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I built an addition on our kitchen cabinets that is several inches lower with a granite top because my 5'1" wife bakes and needed a smooth surface to roll dough.
Electrical outlets in the garage are at working height. In the house they are low because women dont want to look at the cords. Usta wuz with knob and tube they were at working height. Then again when they electrified rural America you had a single drop cord for a light in the middle of the room.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Before indoor plumbing, bathrooms were out side. When plumbing moved inside, they gave it very small spaces, like under the staircase. Smaller space smaller cabinet.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
So you can wash your feet in the sink? Our bathroom vanity is the same height as kitchen cabinets because it once WAS a kitchen cabinet. I brought home pieces and sections of cabinets from a couple of remodel jobs and this was one. Door and a drawer on the left, two door sink base in the center and stack of drawers to the right. I'm about 6-2 and the wife is 5-4, but normal cabinet height seems good to both of us.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Cold Bore

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post

Why are bathroom base cabinets 6" shorter than kitchen base cabinets?
A related question....

Why do women have shorter feet than men?

So they can stand closer to the sink when washing dishes.

(All in fun, don't ban me! )
Old 01-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Cold Bore

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker22 View Post

Tripping hazard.

Imagine cords stretched from shoulder height out on an angle to whatever they are connected to.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:15 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
To plug in floor lamps and vacuum cleaners, it would be pointless to have the electrical receptacles up high. since the useful length of the cord is effectively "shortened" by having to come back down the wall to the ground. Table lamps are still pretty close to the ground and can be positioned near the outlet (or an extension used), so this is not an issue with them.

But also note that bathrooms and kitchens typically have receptacles up higher, where they are useful in those rooms.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bath cabinets are shorter because they know we won't be wearing our 6 inch pumps in there.....

Or could go back to the old days of outhouses. Some people had a sink, but no toilet, so the sink did double duty on cold nights.....warmer than opening a window.....

BTW, my bath vanity is 34.5 inches from floor to top...
Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Must be a new-fangled thing. My house isn't exactly new. I knew there was a slight difference in height in my countertops so this prompted me to grab a tape measure and see how much. 1 3/4" difference. My wife picked out a deep sink for our kitchen remodel. It's good for her and I don't wash enough dishes for it to bother me. I'm the designated dish dryer and also the putter upper from the dish washer guy.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Bore View Post
Tripping hazard.

Imagine cords stretched from shoulder height out on an angle
Shoulder height?? Bit of an exaggeration there, but, just nail the cord to the baseboard... bam bam done, nice n tidy. One could always paint the cord to match the walls for that 'custom' look.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I remodeled both our kitchen and bath a few years ago so the question came up of how high to make the custom built cabinets/countertops. We had no code for it and it came down to what was comfortable for us. If somebody buys the house that is short or has kids they can deal with it, I didnt remodel for somebody else.
Kitchen is 36", bath is 35" (and I wouldnt want it any shorter, sometimes when my back is wonky I wish it was taller).
I think there is code on outlets here.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Shoulder height?? Bit of an exaggeration there, but, just nail the cord to the baseboard... bam bam done, nice n tidy. One could always paint the cord to match the walls for that 'custom' look.
Then all cords would have to be 4' longer.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Then all cords would have to be 4' longer.
They should be anyway. Short cords are one of my pet peeves. I guess it's cheaper to manufacture them while using the least amount of cord possible.