Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
TCR22 Trigger Modification

Hello all, I had two problems with my trigger. 1) is the heavy pull, and 2) is the extreme curvature of the blade which was uncomfortable to me.

1)

I measured my pull and it was an offensive 6 lb 8 oz. It was obvious that most of the pull weight was from the plunger behind the trigger blade. I switched the plunger spring and now the pull is a consistent 2 lb. 12 oz. and reset is fine.

I had a lighter spring in my bag of tricks but note that the $7.50 Kidd spring kit for Ruger triggers will work. The Kidd description also contains instructions for changing plunger springs in the traditional manner (removing trigger blade).

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Pull...Kit_p_120.html

There are two ways to change the plunger spring.

The TCR22 trigger has a cross pin behind the plunger that will let the heavy spring out from the rear without disassembling the trigger group! A lighter spring can go in the same way and the cross pin reinstalled. The hammer strut assembly (which just floats in there behind the hammer) must be removed for trigger plunger spring removal.

The other method to switch plunger springs is from the other end, removing the plunger after removing the trigger blade as you would with a Ruger.....

2)

The plastic blade was too curved for my taste. I've straightened other plastic blades this way. The blade comes out the same way as a Ruger 10/22 trigger blade. Not for the faint of heart in that you will have a pile of parts when the last pin comes out, and a slave pin is necessary to reassemble it.

A short slave pin holds sub-assembly parts together temporarily, and is then driven out by the long permanent pin when the sub-assembly is in place. Note the spring kit above contains a slave pin.

The blade is placed in a vise and heated with a hair dryer for at least two minutes on its hottest setting. Close the vise all the way as heat builds although the blade will flex (compress, straighten) most of the way before heating. Since the vise also gets hot, I cool both before opening the vise and the blade shape will spring back slightly.

The blade pictured in the vise is an uncompressed Ruger blade as I didn't take a picture of the TCR22 blade. I believe the TCR22 blade was more curved. The placement in the vise is the same however. Since the blockish segment of the blade contacts the plunger, I wouldn't grip it any higher than shown, staying below the plunger block with the vise jaws. Presto!...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 01-06-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:16 PM
WPWarhawk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to WPWarhawk
I sent my TCR22 trigger to Brimstone. They reworked it and added the straight faced aluminum trigger. I still haven’t shot it, but it’s got a VERY nice pull.

Last edited by WPWarhawk; 01-06-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:28 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
Did I mention free?

I saw and considered that Brimstone thread. $78 plus $9 shipping and if this didn't work I may have gone that route. I know their work is highly regarded.

I believe the ability to change the spring from the rear is a huge bonus allowing lighter pull without disassembling the trigger group. Many are probably fine with the curvature of the blade and the quality of the pull once reduced.

My rifle including shipping after rebate was $250. An $87 trigger modification is 35% of the total cost which prompted me to do this.

There was no cost since I had a spring and a blow dryer and enjoy doing things for myself as many here do and have inspired me, and the result while likely not as good as Brimstones, is excellent for free...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 01-06-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 08:31 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wolff also sells a spring kit with reduced power trigger return and sear springs.
Installation of this kit reduced my pull from 5lbs. to 2.25lbs.
I did not install the Extra Power hammer spring that came with the kit.

$8.49 from Midway.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...trigger-spring
Old 12-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
Today I added a $10 JWH 10/22 hammer kit to my Thompson. It went right in, and reduced the creep quite a bit.

The pull weight actually increased slightly, from 2 lb 12 oz (from my prior plunger re-spring) to 3 lb 2 oz (with the same springs), which in retrospect stands to reason since less creep means more of a wall. I did not change the springs, just the hammer.

Note, on a lark I bought two of the JWH hammer spring kits, and one was noticeably better than the other, and I'm trying to exchange the one that offered little or no improvement.

They were on sale for $10 but now $30 which I'm not sure I would endorse (at that $30 price). I understand they go on sale occasionally.

The moral of the story; 10/22 replacement hammer kits (offered by several makers) are an easy replacement, reduce creep and work in the Thompson...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 01-06-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 AM
blake711

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up a Kidd trigger spring kit. I started with the Red spring it tested at 3.5# the first time then jumped up to 4# consitently. Ran out of time but plan to try some other springs in it. Thanks Thomasconnor for the info in this thread. I appreciate the inexpensive options you have documented to lower the trigger pull.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasconnor View Post
Today I added a $10 JWH 10/22 hammer kit to my Thompson. It went right in, and reduced the creep quite a bit.

The pull weight actually increased slightly, from 2 lb 12 oz (from my prior plunger re-spring) to 3 lb 2 oz (with the same springs), which in retrospect stands to reason since less creep means more of a wall. I did not change the springs, just the hammer.

Note, on a lark I bought two of the JWH hammer spring kits, and one was noticeably better than the other, and I'm trying to exchange the one that offered little or no improvement.

They were on sale for $10 but now $30 which I'm not sure I would endorse (at that $30 price). I understand they go on sale occasionally.

The moral of the story; 10/22 replacement hammer kits (offered by several makers) are an easy replacement, reduce creep and work in the Thompson...Tom
Reporting that JWH was glad to exchange the one hammer kit, I haven't yet installed it in the other rifle I bought...Tom
Old 06-17-2019, 09:42 PM
Pck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm glad I found your mods for the trigger. I'm thinking about getting a tcr22 and am looking at what it will need done to it.

Pck
Old 06-21-2019, 08:24 PM
Sgtmeatsauce1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried the Wolf performance trigger kit, essentially 3 or 4 springs, no polishing, it made quite a bit of improvement and to me would be a perfect hunting trigger maybe a touch too light if had gloves on. But not fully satisfied I did the SAP outfitters, bought a Ruger trigger group that had the Brimstone tier 2 treatment. Wow! Perfect. at 115 shipped it a little pricey but it is my go to fun gun and deserves this trigger. VERY happy, would reccomend and would do it again, however I would have my TC trigger group sent out to Brimstone for the tier 2 job, just so I could keep the hold open feature exclusive to TC trigger group and mag combo.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:09 PM
misterpepper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the idea to straighten the trigger. I used a heat gun on its lowest setting and just pressed the warmed trigger against a counter top to straighten it. I only adjusted it a little, but that was all that was needed to better fit my finger.

I also did a trigger job this weekend. I found all the parts of the trigger mechanism to be high quality and not need much work to smooth up to a beautiful polish. I cut down a spring I found in my box of springs but I was too aggressive and it wouldn't reset the trigger under shooting conditions, even though it did correctly at the bench. A little longer spring fixed things. My trigger also had a mold line on the back side where the plunger contacted it that caused the trigger to feel somewhat rough initially, but was easily sanded off. The trigger spring had by far the most effect on pull weight.

I didn't change the geometry of any of the trigger parts initially, aside from a light smoothing with some 2500 grit paper. After shooting it with the smoothed parts and lighter trigger return spring the amount of creep due to excess sear engagement (not takeup) became apparent. I ended up reducing the amount of engagement mostly by reducing the end of the notch on the hammer, but I did touch the edge of the sear slightly as well. This is my first 10/22, Ruger or otherwise, but it is obvious that T/C did not just copy the Ruger trigger parts directly. I'd be interested to know which aftermarket trigger the T/CR22 most closely resembles. I don't like taking material off the hammer, because ideally you will take it off all the way around the end of the hammer so that it drops cleanly into the radius below the sear edge as the hammer falls. The better solution would have probably been to add a set screw to the sear to reduce the amount of engagement, but I'm not a fan of set screws that don't have anything holding them in place other than Loc-Tite for fear of them working loose and reducing the sear engagement too much. A better sloution might be to replace just the hammer with one with a smaller notch, but the angles on this hammer seem to be very good for trigger feel. I managed to reduce the amount of creep I was feeling by roughly half. I'm sure I could have gone further, but I'm happy where it's at now.

Last edited by misterpepper; 07-26-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:26 PM
rustic bob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only mod on mine was the Wolf trigger spring, works great.