Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

457 last round

5K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Griff557 
#1 ·
I have a 457 in Boyds At one stock and it fails to eject the last round on all my factory magazines-doesn’t matter whether it’s a 5 rd or 10 rd mag. It extracts the empty but leaves it sitting on top of the follower. I would guess the mag feed lips are knocking the empty off the extractor. Not the end of the world but it’s frustrating

#3 ·
No answers here but an interesting experience I had with a 457 that did the same thing. My 457 Varmint Precision Chassis with 24” barrel did the same thing but only with the 10 round magazines, the 5 round mag ejected fine. I noticed the magazine follower in the 5 and 10 rounders were in a little different position. I bent the tabs on the followers so they sat more like the 5 rounders and it seemed to help but didn’t completely cure it. I believe the back sat down farther in the 10 rounders. I figured modifying the extractor or holder would be the next step. I ordered a new extractor and holder from CZ so I would have spares if I messed them up while modifying them.
In the mean time, I had bought a used 16-1/2” 455 barrel from a buddy that had been taken off to install an aftermarket barrel. It balanced better for me with the shorter barrel.
The failure to eject the last round went away when I changed barrels. I’ve put around 400 rounds through it since changing barrels and ejection on the last round has been 100%. The barrel I took off has no obvious defects or anything. Extraction was always good, it just left the last empty laying on the follower.
I didn’t notice any burrs or foreign material in the receiver or on the original barrel when I removed my original barrel but I did clean it really well before installing the used barrel and torquing it to 44 in/lbs. If I had another 457 that was doing the same thing, I think I would first try removing the barrel, give things a good inspection/cleaning and then reinstall it. Easy to do and might take care of the problem. Bottom line though, I still don’t know exactly what the issue was with the other barrel installed! I may try the 24” barrel again if I get bored someday but that probably won’t happen anytime soon. Sorry if this was a little long winded but wanted to share my experience.

#6 ·
TooMany + 1

Sounds like a mag problem. when fully loaded the spring has greater pressure to push the cartridges up harder. If a poly clip it is most likely the spring or follower.

For some STRANGE reason CZ mags are very often faulty. Maybe they have them assembled by an outside source?? I've had 5 either missing parts, having more than one follower, or having parts in backward.

#7 ·
That's weird. Am I correct in understanding that this only happens after the last round from the magazine has been fired and the bolt is opened? If so, then it sounds like the magazine has done it's job of feeding the round into the chamber and can't be a factor, especially since the FTE's happen with different mags. That would seem indicate an ejector problem. OTOH, since it's always just on the final round, that would seem to eliminate the ejector as the cause. Even so, I still think I'd be taking a close look at the ejector.

Does the problem happen with different ammo brands?

#12 ·
I think I know why the last round doesn't eject. When the magazine is loaded the top round exerts upward pressure on the extracted case and and holds it firmly against the extractor. The extractor has to overcome this pressure and this is what kicks the empty out. When there are no cartridges in the magazine you don't have that pressure and the empty just rolls away from the extractor.

As an experiment, try removing the magazine before extracting an empty. The empty will probably fall straight down into the magazine well. This is because the bolt faces on 457s and 455s are wide enough to accomodate magnum as well as long rifle cases. The long rifle cases aren't held as firmly as they might with a dedicated .22 long rifle bolt and they need that upward pressure from cartridges in the magazine in order to eject.

#13 ·
All the same polymer CZ mags it does it with both 5 and 10 round mags. I haven’t tried dropping the mag after the last round and seeing if it ejects but I would guess it will. It works flawlessly on rounds 1-4 or 1-9 brand of ammo makes no difference. It doesn’t appear Iam the only one with this issue

#18 ·
I had a few failure to eject on the first day with my new 457 but in my case it was user error. New to shooting I was hesitant when pulling the bolt back, along with a brand new bolt that was still a little stiff, but quickly realized that even just a steady pull resolved the problem. No issues since then and lots of rounds through the CZ. I know this may not be your case but thought I would toss it out there.

#19 ·
This seems to be a problem that affects some rifles and not others. My 452 ejects the first four with some force but seldom ejects the fifth. You have to flick the bolt back with your fingers to have half a chance of ejection. The same 452 will extract rounds but will not eject them at all if you use metal magazines.

My 455 ejects all five flawlessly. It will not eject at all if the magazine is removed.

Your results may vary.

#20 ·
My 457 Varmint, which I'm running out of a Oryx chassis, does the exact same thing that the OP described about 50 percent of the time.
The empty either falls straight down and out the mag well when I remove the mag or I have to lift the gun from the bench slightly and roll my wrist to the right to get it to drop out the side.
Considering our match times are generous and the gun is running right alongside some far more expensive rifles and giving a good showing, I just live with it.

#25 ·
I took mine out again today and tried ejecting rounds after firing and then removing the magazine. They all extracted fine but dropped out the bottom rather than ejecting when the mags were removed. Three different 10 round polymer mags bought from two different places. It extracts and ejects all 10 rounds just fine with the mags in place. I had to do some adjusting on the mag followers when I had a different barrel on mine. It wouldn’t eject the last round with that barrel. Adjusting the rear end of the followers higher helped but didn't eliminate the issue. Problem went away when I changed barrels so I had no need to play with them anymore. I had a 5 round polymer mag that worked flawlessly so I just tried to adjust the 10 rounders so the follower sat in the same position. They were all 3 a lot lower in the rear than my 5 rounder. Maybe some tolerance stacking with some followers not quite right?

#35 ·
Finally got around to looking at my mags. On my 5rd mag the follower sets higher and more level-like the pics in a previous post and it ejects the last round most of the time. I took apart one of my 10rd mags tried just flipping the follower around-it wouldn’t feed so I tweaked the follower so it sits more like my 5rd it seems to have helped but once in awhile the last round pops up too high and won’t feed. I only messed with one mag for the time being we’ll see how it works out. FYI the spring from a tire valve core works on the retaining pin for the mag.....don’t ask how I know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.