Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Have All The Leftys Left?

20K views 112 replies 63 participants last post by  Clover58 
#1 ·
Just wondering. Awful quiet around here...

#72 ·
Ok, so I had to laugh....(yes, this is my third post in 11 years...:D )

I hadn’t lurked in a while and just now noticed that there is a lefty section!

D’oh

In my umpteen years of shooting, I have owned exactly two left handed guns, a Lakefield MkII and a Savage 111.....have taught myself to adapt to a rigt handed world ( unless we’re talking AKs, because I think ol’ MK was a lefty ;) )
What’s funny, both my lefty guns were bought stupid cheap used because they sat FOREVER with no one interested. I pays being handicapped sometimes. :cool:

Anywhoo......hi and stuff!

#75 ·
Ok, so I had to laugh....(yes, this is my third post in 11 years...:D )

I hadn't lurked in a while and just now noticed that there is a lefty section!

D'oh

In my umpteen years of shooting, I have owned exactly two left handed guns, a Lakefield MkII and a Savage 111.....have taught myself to adapt to a rigt handed world ( unless we're talking AKs, because I think ol' MK was a lefty ;) )
What's funny, both my lefty guns were bought stupid cheap used because they sat FOREVER with no one interested. I pays being handicapped sometimes. :cool:

Anywhoo......hi and stuff!
I bought a used Savage 11 in .223 with a 3-9X Nikon Prostaff for $350 from one of my LGS's. Had to have it because it was a lefty, and at the time I didn't even have any bolt action guns. With cheap 50gr American Eagle black box varmint-tipped ammo, it consistently shoots one-hole groups @ 100 yards, even with just the 9x scope.

Turns out I really like driving stick; a nice slow meditative state of mind compared to semiauto--which I also like.

#76 ·
This lefty hasn't left

Been here since there was a here here :eek:man:. I have always shot left handed as I am left hand & eye dominate. I have a dozen or more left handed guns and even had a few that ejected out the bottom and or forward. Not sure if they still do but Stag offered a left handed bolt for shooting 22LR in their left handed AR uppers. I have a dedicated 22LR 16 in carbine upper from Tac/Sol. I just recently snagged a left handed Ruger American bolt action in 223 CDNN has a left handed 7.62 / 308 Scout rifle for $699.99 delivered to your FFL. Prices are low inventory high & selection is real good. Sadly I fear that soon these will have been known as the good old days :eek: .

#82 ·
Still here. I'm going ground squirrel shooting in a couple weeks. My 93R17GLV will hopefully get a workout.

The little buggers haven't been bothered since last September, so there should be some good action.
Good luck from a fellow lefty.
Thanks!:bthumb:
Was somewhat of a disappointing hunt this time. The grass was much taller than when we were there previously. The little buggers were usually moving about completely under cover.

Every once in a while a head would pop up at long range, but that was it. We got a few there, including a couple well beyond the usual .17hmr distances. Combination of luck and a lot of holdover (and a bit of Kentucky windage).

With some practice, I had good luck with the BDC reticle in a 4-14x42 Nikon M308 scope that I put on my 93R17GLV. Their Spot On software is actually pretty close at determining what distances the various points on the reticle correspond to.

#80 ·
Only check here occasionally as it isn't real active. Still makes for some good reading on occasion. Was out gopher shooting yesterday, got about 70 in a couple of hours using my CZ 452 LH 17 HMR. Pretty decent action. It is a small field but it is close by so fun to pop out for and hour or two and play, plus the farmer really likes me keeping the numbers down. The first year I shot this field I was killing 500 in a couple of hours. Shooting will control the population if you shoot it often enough.

#81 ·
I have been shopping the left handed sales at CDNN sports a lot recently and now have a LH Turkish Hatsan "Magnum Supreme" 12ga semi auto shotgun & then I jumped in or on the discontinued Thompson Center Dimension LOC line of bolt action rifles in LH. So far have been able to get three bolts and four barrels along with three of their scope bridges. I first bought a complete left handed 30-06 Dimension rifle with a 22-250 barrel bolt mag and mag housing along with needed dedicated change out tools for $499.99 plus $9.99 delivered to my FFL. I have since acquired a Win 243 set and a 204 Ruger set. I have the AB & C bolt groups mag and mag housings and am looking for a LH D group bolt(300 Win mag & 7MM Rem mag IIRC)that I may or may not buy. BTW the LOC system barrels are usable on both left or right hand LOC receivers. I am looking for the rare(evidently)223/5.56 Dimensions LOC barrel but not too sure about getting one any time soon. I still have the LH 223 Rem American from Ruger so not in a rush.

#87 ·
lefty all the way

left handed and left eye dominant.

Recently acquired a LH Remington 40X (single shot) in 6BR to complement my LH 40X repeater in .308. Also have a LH BSA Mk IV ISU.

Otherwise my bolt action shooting irons are wrong-handed but work well on the bench.

#90 ·
Still lots of us in our right minds still around. Not much to talk about. Persecution of lefties seems such a small issue when there is an endless lineup claiming systemic racism, mass misogyny, the rights of males to compete against women in sports and a host of other issues. Us poor lefties just can't compete. 🤭

#91 ·
left handed present & accounted for.

Left handed guns are/were much more common, though haven't looked to buy since the china plague hit. I have a left handed version of all my long guns. I should have jumped on a couple of left handed pistols offered back in the day. Good to see the group still rolling on.

#92 ·
I'm right handed but shoot LH because of eye dominance. Several years ago I bought a couple LH 870's then a LH Savage rimfire. My centerfires were RH. Since the first of the year I've bought a couple LH Savage actions and built a 22-250 and a 260 Remington. It's pretty cool to not have to dismount the rifle to cycle the action.

I also shoot some fun benchrest .22 matches, RH rifles work well for that.

#96 ·
It works, problem is, there are limited number of topics that are LH specific. Unless someone comes out with something new, like a LH chainsaw, circular saw or one that is actually ambidextrous, there isn't a lot new to talk about. At least LH kids don't get the Spawn of Satan treatment that was still common when I was a kid.

I do find it odd that places will give up 15% market share of Lefties, but you see it with Gluten allergies too. At least 25% of the population is avoiding Gluten due to allergies or other reasons yet try to find non-gluten options in restaurant, or grocery stores.

#98 · (Edited)
Left Hand

I guess I am totally screwed up. I shoot long guns left hand, hand guns right hand with left eye dominance. Write right hand and throw left hand. Grew up shooting right hand guns so it is more natural I guess. I do own left hand Cooper 57M, two Anschutz 1416, CZ 452, Caesar Guerini Sporting, Beretta 682 Sporting with balance right hand assortment or ambidextrous such as Ruger #1.
When I go to a store that has tools and if I am asked if I need some help I say: Yes, I am looking for a left hand tape measure. Only ever had one clerk know what I was talking about. When I use a tape measure I pull the tape out with my left hand and mark with my right so the tape is always upside down. You can special order left hand tape measures but never did.
Now that I am getting later in life my left eye has the worst vision. Bummer.

#112 ·
Left Hand

I guess I am totally screwed up. I shoot long guns left hand, hand guns right hand with left eye dominance. Write right hand and throw left hand. Grew up shooting right hand guns so it is more natural I guess. I do own left hand Cooper 57M, two Anschutz 1416, CZ 452, Caesar Guerini Sporting, Beretta 682 Sporting with balance right hand assortment or ambidextrous such as Ruger #1.
When I go to a store that has tools and if I am asked if I need some help I say: Yes, I am looking for a left hand tape measure. Only ever had one clerk know what I was talking about. When I use a tape measure I pull the tape out with my left hand and mark with my right so the tape is always upside down. You can special order left hand tape measures but never did.
Now that I am getting later in life my left eye has the worst vision. Bummer.
Really! a left handed tape measure I need one.
best thing I bought from Grizzly industrial was a left handed digital caliper.
goes with my left handed scissors.

S/SP

#99 ·
Just "finished" a Vudoo 3-60 build:

20" MTU profile barrel
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 MILRAD Scope
Trigger Tech Diamond trigger at 16oz
KRG Bravo chassis with full length ARCA rail
Send-it electronic level
Atlas bipod

Have 530 rounds of Lapua Center-X through it and the best group has been five rounds at 50-yards in 0.153" (0.293MOA)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.