Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Have All The Leftys Left?

20K views 112 replies 63 participants last post by  Clover58 
#1 ·
Just wondering. Awful quiet around here...

#110 ·
Yes you fit in here. welcome.
I'm all left eye ,hand and foot. the only activity my right hand does other than cradle a rifle stock is moving my computer mouse to read all the stuff you guys write about. can't use the mouse with my left hand.

S/SP

#35 ·
Another RH guy shooting lefty

Hello everyone. I've been enjoyIng other sections of the forum and thought I'd check in to the southpaw discussion. I'm in VA Beach and have been shooting for 60 years. Right eye doesn't work so well so am LH shooter by necessity. Most RH rifles work fine for me except those with a roll-over comb buttstock. Managed to acquire a few lefty rifles over the years like .240 Weatherby Mag, CZ 452 American and Lux and a RH BSA Martini MK 5 with LH buttstock. Also love shooting intl precision pistol with my Pardini SP, Hammerli 208 and Steyr Free Pistol, all three with LH grips.

#40 ·
The LH Lux is model # is 452-2E ZKM. Photos attached. I bought it from Buds in late March for $422 Delivered. Bought an $80 used Bushnell scope from an RFC member. This rifle outshoot several others that I paid three and four times more for. Incredible quality and bigtime bang for the buck with CZ.

Attachments

#37 ·
New member / is there a lefty pic share page?

This looks to be the only active lefty thread at the moment, so this is where I will start. I have spent the last 6-7 years trying work my way thru the lefty rimfire list and have been lucky enough to get get to buy and try most of the rifles on the list. I can't seem to find a lefty picture sharing thread on here, so I was wondering what it takes to start one, or am I just not looking in the right place??????

#38 ·
Sticky Thread Needed

This looks to be the only active lefty thread at the moment, so this is where I will start. I have spent the last 6-7 years trying work my way thru the lefty rimfire list and have been lucky enough to get get to buy and try most of the rifles on the list. I can't seem to find a lefty picture sharing thread on here, so I was wondering what it takes to start one, or am I just not looking in the right place??????
Like you, I have owned many rimfire and centerfire rifles that were either left handed or fully ambidextrous. I have posted many pictures of these rifles in different threads, over the years. Most of my rifles have re-appeared in this Forum many times. There have been a few threads started by members that were dedicated to pictures of lefty rifles. Not being "sticky threads" they quickly vanish from the opening pages of the Lefty forum.
I do not have the authority to start a "sticky thread" or I would do so. Perhaps a forum moderator could start such a thread. What do you say Sophia?

#39 ·
I'm a long-time lurker and rare poster on rimfirecentral. I'm fairly new to shooting, but I'm slowly trying to accumulate a collection of left-handed rifles for my right handed, but strongly left eye dominant frame. So far that's been a Savage 10 series, and a couple of CZ 452s. My next project is to try to devise a way to get the u.s. president of Anschutz to ressurect the discussion from the archives about manufacturing a run of left-handed 54 actions.

#41 · (Edited)
While you are at it, could you prompt him or her to restart production of the left handed MPR. I had one and sold it for cash for another project, assuming I could buy another when cash became available. Then when I was ready to buy a NIB MPR with the best available trigger, I found it discontinued.
:(

#42 ·
I don't know if any of you southpaws are interested but here goes. CDNN Sports has Ruger mdl 77 hawkeye walnut stock .204 cal in left hand for $499.99 and includes Winchester sling and swivels. I haven't been pricing these but seemed like it might be a good deal. I don't know if this is listed on GB they often times do so if interested I wouldn't delay.

#43 · (Edited)
A Very Good Deal For a Fine Rifle

Seeing as I bought the exact same make and model rifle last year for $700, I would say that is a pretty fine deal...Oh, did I mention it is the most accurate light sporter I have ever owned? My Hawkeye (also in 204 Ruger) is capable of 1 MOA at 300 yards, with inexpensive Fiocchi Extrema 34 gr. ammunition.

If none of you jump on this deal, that would be too bad! My advice...do not hesitate. Deals like this for a fine quality left handed rifle are rare.

#45 ·
Another southpaw shooter here. Been shooting for 35 years or so..............and haven't owned any LH firearms until a couple weeks ago when I bought my Savage 93R17 GLV.

I've owned and shot many RH bolt guns (as well as pumps, levers, single shots, and semi-autos). They feel 'normal' to me. I've decided to buy/build more LH bolt guns. Many MFG's make LH bolt guns..............but the range is usually limited, with the variations (calibers, barrel weights/profiles, stocks) that I'd want not being produced for Southpaws. Gotta build them instead.

The lefty Savage still feels a bit weird, but I'm getting used to it. I've shot a few LH bolt guns that belonged to other southpaws. Always felt strange. As I'm getting used to the LH bolt guns I am starting to appreciate them more.

#46 ·
Another southpaw shooter here. Been shooting for 35 years or so..............and haven't owned any LH firearms until a couple weeks ago when I bought my Savage 93R17 GLV.

I've owned and shot many RH bolt guns (as well as pumps, levers, single shots, and semi-autos). They feel 'normal' to me. I've decided to buy/build more LH bolt guns. Many MFG's make LH bolt guns..............but the range is usually limited, with the variations (calibers, barrel weights/profiles, stocks) that I'd want not being produced for Southpaws. Gotta build them instead.

The lefty Savage still feels a bit weird, but I'm getting used to it. I've shot a few LH bolt guns that belonged to other southpaws. Always felt strange. As I'm getting used to the LH bolt guns I am starting to appreciate them more.
It depends how you shoot. From a bench or rest a right handed action is far better for a leftie.

This is because a leftie with a RH action is on the near side of the bolt and port and the right arm is not doing anything anyway. You have a bird's eye view of and access to the port and you can comfortably hold the wrist with your left hand to stabilize the rifle when cycling the action with the right hand.

A left hand action is superior for a leftie from the other positions since the right arm is busy supporting the rifle.

From a bench or rest however, it is much more efficient to be on the same side of the bolt handle and port especially for a single shot scoped rifle.

That is why many RH benchrest shooters often use left bolts and ports, to avoid reaching around blindly.

We have it made in this regard, and I think most lefties are aware of this. Plenty of RH rifles to shoot from a bench or rest. My LH rifles are all sporters and I dread shooting them from the bench compared to the RH rifles from the bench. Feeding from a magazine mitigates the inconvenience...Tom

#47 ·
Well..
Now that my left eye is fixed..
I can see better with it.

Im right handed.
Have pretty much always shot right handed.
But ?
Since my left eye is stronger..
Im shooting my browning SA-22 long and short rifles left handed alot more.

It's hard to do sometimes..
But im getting better.

Sure do like that bottom eject.!

#49 ·
Well..
Now that my left eye is fixed..
I can see better with it.

Im right handed.
Have pretty much always shot right handed.
But ?
Since my left eye is stronger..
Im shooting my browning SA-22 long and short rifles left handed alot more.

It's hard to do sometimes..
But im getting better.

Sure do like that bottom eject.!
I am right handed but my left eye is 20/20 and my right eye is 20/100. I shoot guns and bows left handed and actually like the fact that I support the gun or bow with my strongest arm. My bolt guns are all right handed and I don't feel as it is a great disadvantage when hunting and I actually think when shooting from the bench a right handed bolt is an advantage for a southpaw.

#48 · (Edited)
I spent a full day shooting ground squirrels with my 93R17 GLV and I'm now totally comfortable with it. Really liking the LH bolt action (over a RH bolt) for everything except bench shooting.

About half way through the day I took a couple shots with my buddy's 93R17 FV (RH) and IT felt weird. I'm going to do dedicated bench guns on RH actions, but will go LH (or semi/lever/pump) for everything else.

At some point I'll do a .338 LM or .338 Norma and a .375 or .408 CheyTac using one of the custom actions. Most likely will use a LH bolt RH port action for those.

#111 ·
Left hand bolt Right hand ejection. Early Savage 110s were built that way, my very first hunting rifle in .308 is built that way.I still have it , good hunter and when I benched it it was a snap to actuate the bolt with my left hand and single load with my right hand not needing to look where the cartridge was being fed into the breach. The remington 581 in left hand is also built that way.
S/SP

#52 ·
score one for a lefty

My wife bought me the greatest birthday present ever (IMO...)...a left handed Remington custom shop 40X repeater in .308, with a Leupold BR-24 scope. Picked it up from a fellow shooter who needed the cash to finish a project. I finally have a HP bolt rifle to comfortably shoot prone as she wears a wood stock with a rail under the forearm. and she shoots...this past weekend I shot a 200 yard match and scored 598-40x from the bench using three different 168 grain bullets: strings were 200-10x (Sierra Match King), 199-15x (Hornady BTHP), and 199-15x (Nosler Competition), all fired by 42.0 grains RL-15 powder. At 100 yards, 5-shot groups are consistently less than 1/2".

Next up is letting it stretch its legs to 500 yards or more. Too much fun!

#55 ·
I'm not a lefty but father to at least two.

I bought a Henry Mini bolt youth for my son and as we tried going over sights and target acquisition he had his head so canted he couldn't see a thing. We tried a couple of rounds and gave up. A few weeks later I used a piece of paper with a hole in it to determine he is left eye dominant. My middle daughter, kid #3 is an actual lefty. Not sure about #4 yet, still very young and very ambidextrous when doing things like eating.

I was aware of some left handed youth rifles but somehow the Savage Rascal had evaded me. I saw it mentioned here in a thread earlier today and it seems like it will fit the bill for a couple of my kids. I'll be talking to my FFL tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the info on southpaw toys.

#61 ·
Ah 10-4. Thanks for explaining that. All is well.:bthumb:

A simple miscommunication. Happens often on forums. Intentions are often not conveyed well in this text only medium. I will steer clear of any political comments in the non political forums (and I avoid the political forums because they only cause me heartburn).

#64 ·
New to the site and a lefty. (Wife is left eyed and has to shoot left)
I have two right-bolt CZs that I operate with my left hand.
I haven't competed or hunted, just target shooting so it's not an issue.

Only issue I've ever had shooting was with an AR (A1, no deflector) once had brass bounce off my cheek.

This summer I am going to practice shooting right just to see how well I can.
Because more shooting is better. :D

#65 ·
Ah grasshopper if true lefty the shift will come smoothly.

Have a weak side shoot between friends
Most RH folks will stumble more than the LH ....try it.
I used to shoot both sides with my AR but arthritis in my hips makes prone on the right uncomfortable. Lefty I can still hold for the 10-20 min

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.