View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 02:24 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobeardsley View Post
“Whatever die/s you end up getting for the 17 Hornady Hornet, I suggest you make sure it is a bushing die so you can control, as well as keep consistent, neck tension. Also, keep your brass segregated by Lot # because there is quite a bit of variance in the neck thickness of the 17 HH brass.”

B23,
Do you ever turn the brass to get more uniform neck sizing? I can see how varying neck tension can be a problem for consistency. Or is the brass too thin already to shave more off?
If you turned all of the necks down to whatever the thinnest neck is it would save you from keeping your brass in different groups based on neck thickness, but I find neck turning about as much fun as having my fingernails pulled out with a pair of rusty pliers. Not because neck turning is all that difficult, but I just hate doing it so I just keep all my brass segregated by neck thickness and swap bushings.

Technically speaking, turning all the necks to have the same thickness would likely be the most accurate approach though.