Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Full Auto 1022

13K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Slimshady 
#1 ·
A guy at the range today was shooting a full auto 1022. It would empty a 10 round mag in less than a second. I asked what alterations were done to make it full auto, and he said the bolt and trigger were different from a stock 1022. I had no idea such an animal existed. When it fired, it sounded like someone ripping canvas. What do you guys know about this 1022? Thanks

#3 ·
I ran into one at the range last year. The guy shooting it said it was a commercial model (aftermarket, not Ruger) intended for a Georgia (?) LE agency's female officers. It sounded like the idea didn't pan out and he got his from a Class III dealer for a really good price.

No idea what the internal mods were, but that gun ran really well considering the overall reliability of rimfire ammo.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Having shot some FA this past weekend (1919 in 308, 9mm Uzi, M16 in both 9mm and 556) and having shot some in the past (American 180, M16, FNC, FAL, G3/HK91, M14, MAC10 in 45), I can say that it is a LOT of fun. At artificially inflated prices and the cost of ammo, I'm content to shoot other folks' stuff once in a blue moon.

The American 180 is a blast - 177 rounds of 22lr, sounds like an angry little buzz saw when you do a mag dump... and it takes a *long* time to go thru 177 rounds on FA...

#13 · (Edited)
I ran into one at the range last year. The guy shooting it said it was a commercial model (aftermarket, not Ruger) intended for a Georgia (?) LE agency's female officers. It sounded like the idea didn't pan out and he got his from a Class III dealer for a really good price.

No idea what the internal mods were, but that gun ran really well considering the overall reliability of rimfire ammo.
Sounds sketchy, but yes Ruger never made any. Story doesn't sound right as if he bought it from a SOT and he isn't an SOT then it was pre 86' and not real cheap. LE Agencies don't buy pre 86' guns either.

#15 ·
Back in the 80's amt lightnings were a clone of 1022 rugers and alot were converted to full auto for use in kentucky and a few other places for prison use. May have been one of them. John norell made 90% of the fa 1022 out there and i belive powder springs as well as a few others made some but most were the amt versions. A few form 1 ones are out there but they are registered recivers not trigger packs.

#20 ·
Years ago a new manufacturer of 10/22 accessories sent me his best hammer/sear combo to test for him. Both hammer and sear were adjustable! I was using my 1976 Carbine that was pretty much stock. This was about 2005.

I was at the range to mainly shoot another bolt action project and had the place to myself. It started raining and then turned into a deluge. Under the steel roof it was as almost unbelievably loud. I figured I would wait it out but would try the trigger.

Not really aiming I pointed it down range and touched the trigger. Ziip! "What the heck?" I said out loud. 9 rounds and a stoppage so fast I could not get my finger off the trigger. Loaded another 10 rounds. Zip! all 10 down range. I was a little paranoid but I could not hear anything else due to very hard rain, figured "Why not he wants me to test this thing".

I took the trigger assy apart and adjusted the hammer AND the sear as far out as I could. ZIP!! 10 rounds. Next one was 9. Another 9. Then 10. And so on. I think if I had the mag spring turned tighter it would have done 10 every time.

Well I could not stand it so I shot several hundred rounds until the rain let up and it was great. The cycle rate was unbelievable!! I could not shoot a burst in a normal way but if I just "slapped" the trigger it was 3-4 rounds. I mean that as the very quickest way I could touch the trigger without actually squeezing it. Normal trigger application meant empty mag no matter how quick I tried to lift my finger.

I am NOT a believer in the 22 lr as a defense (or offense) round but one of these would be devastating at 100 yards and less. It was easy to keep all ten rounds into a 12" circle at 100 yards even in a driving rain and that was well under 1 second as far as I can tell.

Being paranoid about legal issues I took the rifle apart and the hammer went into the trunk and the sear into the glove box. I even mailed them back to him in separate shipping envelopes. He got the back and put them in his rifle and got a crisp 1.5-2.5 lb trigger:confused::confused: He said he tried his hardest and could not make it full auto (I think he was secretly jealous:D:D).

We started comparing things and my early trigger housing was VERY different. His was crisply molded and mine looked fat and almost organic. Turns out the center to center on the holes in the housing is different in the old style housing. Since then others have reported several different makers hammers and sears getting doubles and triples in old housings

If you have an old rifle from the 60's or at least mid 70's beware just buying new parts for them. Either have your whole assy reworked by someone that knows what they are doing oe get a newer housing because the BATFE frowns on ANY firearm that fires more than one round with one pull of the trigger. They even prosecuted a gunsmith that had a customer double barrel shotgun with worn parts that was firing both barrels!!:mad::mad:

At the same time they announced his arrest my gunsmith friend had a 10 gauge double in his shop that was doing the same thing. I watched him shoot it the first time and thought "Man does that thing throw a lot of shot downrange!!" while he was thinking "Wow that SOB kicks like a freaking mule!!":D:D Of course we asked a couple friends to test fire it! :rolleyes::D:D The reaction was always the same. At first they were stunned a 10 kicked that hard. Then they opened it and TWO empties came out! :eek::mad::mad::D:D

By the way the gunsmith won his case but it ruined him as it took all the money his shop was worth and then some to beat the case against him.

Be very careful if you decide to screw around with your 10/22!!

#21 ·
I am NOT a believer in the 22 lr as a defense (or offense) round but one of these would be devastating at 100 yards and less. It was easy to keep all ten rounds into a 12" circle at 100 yards even in a driving rain and that was well under 1 second as far as I can tell. ...
I've had more than one 10/22 project do double and triple tap bursts when the springs were too light. Replacement of those solved the issue, at least for me.

Regarding the American 180:
The A180 was adopted by the Utah Department of Corrections to arm prison guards.

Despite the relatively low power of the .22 LR round, testing demonstrated that automatic fire could penetrate even concrete and bulletproof vests from cumulative damage. However, the target would have to remain still for an improbable amount of time to allow the cumulative damage to amass in the same area to achieve this.

Random YouTube video of one being fired.

#27 ·
i stand corrected. it was my understanding that the detent was adjustable with an allen screw in the bottom of the hole. so it could be adjusted to run with a supperrsor or not.
Thanks for bringing this up. I've had issues with this thing running reliably with bulk-pac and a tweak on the tension of the detent might just be the solution.

Got it apart today to replace the extractor too and look forward to experimenting at the next range trip.

#32 ·
It appears that the detent plunger will fall out in your hand if you turn the trigger pack up side down. Assuming this is not the case what holds it in?
If it did that, surely the spring would launch it the instant the bolt retracted, no?

The hole and the plunger are stepped. The hole in the top is smaller than the section below that houses the spring and plunger. The plunger is reduced in diameter where it passes through the hole on top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.