Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Subtle 452 - 455 differences

835 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Talyn 
#1 · (Edited)
Since I got my "Aussie" 452 American on Monday I decided to get my 455 American out since something was telling me that they didn't look exactly alike.

Regardless of the obvious barrel contour difference at the receiver/barrel junction, the 3/8" vs 11mm dovetail change, and subtle receive contour differences at the back-end, I noticed the stock on the 452 had a thicker forend contour to it than the 455 which is noticeably slimmer.

I like this 452 forend contour better as well as the subtle barrel and receiver contours.

Perhaps that is why the 452 is really growing on me vs the 455 which is a nice, but has never grown on me like the 452 has.

Regarding the stock it seems to me that the 452 beech stock has a nicer & thinner finish on it vs. the thicker and muddier finish on the 455. I can see the beech wood grain much clearer on the 452, and see that there's some nice figure underneath the "mud" of the 455.

While my 455 is perfectly useful I like the "old-school classic" lines of the 452 a bit better.

My .02

See less See more
#2 ·
I prefer the 452's myself, they also have a deeper, richer Blue on the Americans anyway. The older 452's have a higher polish blue job when set side beside the newer 452's and both have a nicer finish than the 455's. I have owned 3 455's, they were functionally sound, I also like the slightly longer barrels on the 452 Americans.
They, in my opinion are fine rifles and will with decent care be serviceable for many generations.:bthumb:

#3 ·
I had my 455 American barrel threaded for a suppressor. Had to knock the OAL back to 19" to get enough barrel thickness to get it done.

The gunsmith then made a thread protector that blended in with the contour of the end of the barrel. One has to look close to see the line.

#4 ·
I had my 455 American barrel threaded for a suppressor. Had to knock the OAL back to 19" to get enough barrel thickness to get it done.

The gunsmith then made a thread protector that blended in with the contour of the end of the barrel. One has to look close to see the line.
That sounds odd. Mine is plenty thick to thread as is. Maybe your smith wanted a bigger shoulder?

#7 ·
Compared to old posts that talk about machining marks on 452s my Aussie 452 has none of those that I can see above the wood line.

Since it was made in 2015 perhaps the improved machining noticed in the 455s when they came out filtered down to late production 452s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.