Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Benchrest Mania - A Benchrest Simulation

43K views 92 replies 71 participants last post by  W8LON 
#1 · (Edited)
Deleted

#27 ·
MKnarr said:
The calculations for the point of impact are pretty precise. I think that one of the reasons that you can get higher scores on this simulation is because people tend to overestimate what their gun will do and underestimate actual wind conditions in real life. Another reason the simulation is easier is when a shot is fired, the wind is constant for the whole 50 yards. That makes it easy to pick a hold off for a given wind condition and if you shoot the same condition, you will get the exact same point of impact every time except for the shot displacement due to group size. Maybe someday, I can tweak the wind down range as well as at the fireing line.

On another note. I announced the simulation on another forum using the exact same words as in my first post. I actually cut and pasted the same post. On that forum, I received only two replies. Both thought I was trying to make money on the program and one complained that if I was going to use the USBR target, at least I should use the USBR rules and have 25 targets plus sighters and shoot for score, not group size. He also mentioned that he thought another program was better. This in spite of the fact that he had not even tried the program. Needless to say, I removed the post from that forum since those two comments put the kiss of death on it.

I have decided that criticism for the sake of criticism is not criticism, it is just whining. Anyway, thanks for the comments, I believe I can see some revisions down the road.
Since I visit both forums I must say that removing the post after just two replies is kinda weak. I have been enjoying the program since I was the first view on the "other" forum and lack of replies does not mean lack of interest. Just MHO!

I use the same name on both forums, BTW!

#29 ·
I played the game, thanks for posting.

If you were able to make 3-5 flags evenly spaced, and model them so that each flag was independent of the others, it would be a helluva learning/practice tool. The modelling would get sticky, I expect.

As a guy who is trying to learn Revolution on my own, I appreciate the effort and thanks for posting.

Ben

#37 ·
Sighters are good. As for the limits of wind direction change....could that be shooter selectable as well? Or is the next change dependant upon the direction during the last shot? The times I tried it, it seemed to stay within the +/-30° range as an absolute limit as opposed to a relitive shot to shot limit.

#38 ·
3 Flags!!

How interesting, can't wait to try it.

FWIW, my limited experience on the 2 ranges I've shot rimfire BR is that flags could point in any direction, independently of each other. I have not seen prevailing conditions be a norm at these ranges. Instead there have been transient conditions in which a few flags line up, that might last for a single row or even a few rows. By way of illustration, it is pretty rare that I hold ouside of the 9-ring in most conditions, yet that was necesssary even in the slow wind, single flag model of the BR Mania game using my actual average group size.

My point is that I would suggest more variance in wind direction would be truer to what I have experienced, at least to duplicate the situations I've been in.

MKnarr, this is killer, thanks for writing it and posting.

Ben

#50 ·
Man, I have GOT to get into all the other forums more often! I JUST found this today. Jim, thanks for the very generous efforts and freeware, as well as the updated versions. That is a lot of work just to help out your fellow enthusiasts.

I will give it a try when I can, but I foresee this being my only favorite computer game.

Thanks again!
Mark

#51 ·
Does everyone find the windflags are pretty accurate to real shooting? If they are, I had no idea how bad I was at reading them! Sometimes I calculate the effects on how I think it should react and the shot ends up on
the other size of 9 ring.

I guess I just have to play more! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.