Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

mag fed CM-2??

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  USGuy 
#1 ·
Ran into a fella @ a state range this weekend who waxed long and longer about russian rifles this past weekend. But he swore up and down a buddy of his owns a CM-2 variant with a 5 round magazine. Claimed it sorta looked like a Marlin 2000 with a mag. (which I'm guessing is what his buddy has+the biathlon kit) I'd never heard of this, and took the fellows contact info. He says he'll call his buddy and get me some photos this week. I did explain to him that the Marlin 2k had an available mag option. He didn't believe it. :rolleyes:

Now I am nowhere NEAR a Soviet/Combloc rifle expert so I'm curious:
Has anyone heard of such a beast? :confused: I know _something_ must exist in theory, as what did the Soviets use between the Bi-59 and the Bi-7.62 in 1976 and the 7-2 in 1980?? Found a few pages that claim it was a "Bi-6,5 or BiL-6,5".

I'd love to own one if they exist! :bthumb: Never even found a nice CM-2 as it is. The ones I've seen around me are always rusted to heck.

iw

#2 · (Edited)
We don't need no stinking magazines, we are RUSSIAN!

Magazines are for wimpski, unable to connect on first shot..

CM-2 Cadet
IZH 46M
CM-2 Adult
(bought new, all of them)

:F

#8 ·
Eh I'm cash poor for another week. Just cashed some fella's Postal MO and shipping his FFL an SVT-40 I hadn't shot in forever. Otherwise I would have jumped at the one that someone posted HERE about 2 weeks back. Life is rough when the wife limits toy expenditures. :D ie:gotta have space in the safe to get another one.

#5 ·
CM-2 with magazine

I certainly have seen photos of a CM-2 with a magazine. It was in the instruction manual on the old EAA website if memory serves me. In the book which I had (about Izhmash hunting and sporting arms) there had been a CM-2 based biathlon rifle (quite a while ago) and it had magazines also. It just depends where the market is. Actions without magazines are stiffer and yield greater accuracy. Also, ISSF rules stipulate single shot rifles are to be used, so a magazine based CM-2 wold not be marketable to that crowd. I owned a Marlin 2000 once upon a time, and would never have one again. The trigger was poor by comparison. It does not compare to any CM-2 I ever shot.

#7 ·
CM-2

Personally, I prefer the adult size model, and the older version with side mounting sights, or top mounting sights. I was told that quality control was better in Soviet times. I have two manuals with the results of testing, and the maximum spread CTC was 8 mm at a distance of 50 m (from 1998 and 1999). I that's pretty good for what you pay fr a CM-2, but that is also with good match grade ammo. With some careful polishing the triggers can be made very crisp.

#9 · (Edited)
Right question will bring a right answer'

...confused: I know _something_ must exist in theory, as what did the Soviets use between the Bi-59 and the Bi-7.62 in 1976 and the 7-2 in 1980?? Found a few pages that claim it was a "Bi-6,5 or BiL-6,5".

I'd love to own one if they exist! :bthumb: Never even found a nice CM-2 as it is. The ones I've seen around me are always rusted to heck.

iw
There is no mystery and CM-2 never had a magazine. I bet your opponent has referred to BI-6 rifle and it was discussed somewhere on this forum. My dream is to have it in my collection and I was looking for it for a long time, but newer seen it and thought it is not existed here in US. Once I spotted it myself on GunBroker in condition less than acceptable for me. It was sold for $700 USD about 3-4 years ago and I never see such things again since.
Yeh, I found that topic: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592788

#11 ·
Distinction only path to the light

There was a CM-2 made in a hunting version CM-2KO that was magazine feed.
As far as I know none were imported to the USA market.
By definition CM-2 is a standard small caliber rifle where key word is "standard". Standard rifle meant to be used for training and competitions with strict limitation. Most of the rifles in this class restricted magazine usage. CM2-KO is a hunting carbine made to satisfy questionable effort to expand market variety or to satisfy some new legal limitations.
So standard CM-2 rifle never had a magazine. CM-2KO is a different class product which brings only additional confusion to correct identification. Many people still do not see much difference between CM-2 and URAL.

#12 ·
Mystery solved but makes me sad. :(

Got a phone call from the fella (named George) and he spoke with his buddy and here's the tale he told me:

Seems the rifle _IS_ a BI-6 (excellent guess by myself and USGuy) with a replacement stock cut for benchrest and painted light blue. (hence why he thought it was a CM2 and looked like a Marlin) His brother lived in Canada and bought it back in the late 70s/early 80s off a friend there, that had been using it for biathlon practice. Brother re-stocked it sometime in the 90s? He only has 2 magazines and rarely shoots it. It is MAYBE for sale.

He is supposed to be reaching out to me about it. We'll see. Pictures are supposed to be forthcoming as well through another mutal friend of theirs. George says the guy is getting on in years and didn't have a way to take instant photos, (late 70s/early 80s I think he said?) and didn't have any kids or grandkids that wanted his firearms. Here is the sad part... Most of them are in Michigan and he has like 20-some grandkids. Sad tale of our times. :( Methinks his kids are lying through their teeth about the grandkids though. Statistically speaking ONE of them would be like us. :D

I won't hold my breath. Though George seems interested in my other SVT now that he's shot it after I slapped one of those crazy no-drill scope mounts on it. We put some hand loads he'd been working on for his Finn mosin down rage over the weekend and they were OK, but only as accurate as the silver bear SP I'd brought. So I know at least I'll be talking to him on occasion now.

I hope to meet George's buddy sometime over the winter, up North, and we'll get some photos posted. But like I said, I won't hold my breath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.