RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help staining baltic birch
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 PM
lbjennings
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noremf View Post
If you are using plywood and when you shape it then you will have glue lines.

While dyes are better then stains in almost every instance, neither will color the glue lines.

You might want to consider a product like this:

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...nwax-gel-stain

It is not a stain regardless of that word in the label. It is only there so as not to confuse the potential customers.

Fundamentally a "paint" except it contains a lot less solids and the carrier/solvents allow it to create a good film forming finish.

Would need to practice on a piece of scrap wood first though.

You can thin it with ORIGINAL FORMULA MINERALS SPIRITS. NO GREEN STUFF, NO ODORLESS STUFF, NO STUFF IN A PLASTIC CONTAINER.

I have some of the odorless stuff and tried it out to remove some bugs,tree sap on the car etc. and also to remove some mold on plastic pool chairs.

Simple Green did a better job by far.

I was gonna take a picture but got disgusted and did not bother.

EDITORIAL COMMENT: As far as I am concerned non original formula mineral spirits sucks as a degreaser and you cannot use it to thin anything!!!!!!!!

This sticky goes over the original formula stuff.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...69&postcount=1

Since the gel will add color with every application, thinning some of it in a jar and then painting it on a piece of scrap plywood or if you are artistically inclined on a piece of glass and then holding over your stock will kinda make sure you don't get it too dark with a single coat. Like any colorant, you kinda want to skulk up on it.

The major issue with Birch is trying to make it look like something it is not.

If you have wide "foggy" areas like in the MS sticky then it is tricky to blend those in. Normally though with plywood you won't but maybe you will.

If you do though then you can blend in the faux finish that the gel stuff makes and make it look like anything you want. Stuff is used on metal doors and with a little artistic talent hard to tell they are not wood.

noremf(George)

EDITORIAL COMMENT #2: Stay faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from the Polyshades regardless of what anybody tells you or what you read. Not one of Sherwin Williams Co. better ideas. They really suck for anything other then maybe wooden stairs or stuff you are not going to "up on" when looking at them.
Thanks George
I'll get a can of the gel stain and play with it. Is there any difference between the water base and the alcohol base dyes? Does one penetrate better?
I guess, if the stock doesn't turn out to my liking, I can prime it and do a paint job on it.
Larry

Last edited by lbjennings; 09-14-2017 at 09:53 PM.