RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Annealing Cases
Thread: Annealing Cases
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Trigger1212
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Benchscource Annealer

Check out the Benchsource annealing machine. As a young lad I had read an article regarding annealing brass which was very close to some of the manual methods mentioned above. Dad had some 222 brass that had been reloaded a zillion time and was just horribly hard in the neck area, real bear to get through the resizing dies.

YES! That's what I'll do, I'll anneal the brass like in the article and present them to Dad with a flourish and a Ta-Daaaaa! and he will be ever so pleased, not! Needless to say didn't work out that way, waaaay over heated the necks, all soft as putty and ruined. Dad was not impressed and neither was I, never annealed another piece of brass.

UNTIL, I purchased a CZ 527 in 17 HH a few years ago. Could NOT find any loaded rounds, except for the scalpers on-line, and I would let the rifle set before I paid that. Ended up finding the Saubier.com small caliber website and read a bunch of articles about converting 22 Hornet brass to 17 HH. The key to the success of this operation was you HAD to anneal the brass to make it work. Hornet brass is short and thin with very little room for error. Hmmmmn, what to do?

On that sight there was an article on the Benchsource annealing machine. Looked very easy to use, micro adjustable and could handle virtually any case size or shape. The around $400, took the plunge as it pretty much takes out ALL the human variables, every case will be annealed EXACTLY like the next. In my mind it was some of the best money I have ever spent on reloading equipment.

It can run two propane torches for those tough jobs, I've only ever set it up with one. I annealed 500 cases of Privi 22 H in short order and then loaded up 10 fireforming loads. 3 of the 10 shoulders split, not good! Ran the brass back through the annealer and adjusted it with the turn of a dial to keep them in the flame a few hundreds of a second longer so they got juuuuuust a little brighter red and gave them another try, no split neck and away I went. Wish I had this as a young Lad, might have impressed my Da then!

If you can swing it AT ALL, get a mechanical annealer that will work with any brass/cartridge you have or reload for and you will find that you actually use it for all your reloading instead of just for those jobs you HAVE to do.

Good luck on your choice, let us know what you decide!

Cheers!

Wade