RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Trying to get back into the game.
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 10:06 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought the basic RAR compact model 8303 in 22LR, based on my experience with the RAR standard model in 22 WMR. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed. The 22WMR rifle shot very well right out of the box, but the 22LR compact didn't. It shot OK, just not as good as I expected. I like all the features of the RAR, and bought a standard length high comb stock insert ($20 from Ruger) for the compact model to lengthen the trigger pull length a bit, since the Compact models come with the "short" version of the stock inserts. In retrospect, I probably should have purchased the Standard length model 8301 in 22LR rather than the Compact version, but maybe I just got one of those guns that isn't as accurate as the one made the next day or the day before - luck of the draw.

I recently bought a Tikka T1x and second John the Plinker's comments on it. It shot great out of the box, and I much prefer it over the RAR Compact rifle.

That being said, if customer service is important to you, I have nothing but good things to say about my limited experience with Ruger. The only time I had to send a gun back for warranty work, they handled it easily, quickly, professionally, and the gun was back within 10 days in perfect working order. I'm not sure Tikka/Beretta, with its smaller footprint in the US, would be as good, but that's conjecture on my part.

For scopes, I'd suggest at least a 3-9 scope with AO. If you're going to get more serious about target shooting at 100 yards, you should go a bit higher. Most of my informal 22LR target shooting is done at 50 yards, and the 3-9 is perfectly adequate for that. Weaver RV9 3-9x32 AO (849398), Nikon P3 3-9x40 Target EFR (16606) or its earlier version (6734), Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33 (175075), or the Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO (14122) would all work fine. The Hawke would be the cheapest, then the Nikon, the Weaver, and the Leupold going up in price. I'm sure others will have different opinions.

Welcome to RFC!!! We'll gladly help you spend money.