Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

52 D & E Database

106K views 667 replies 169 participants last post by  Dave S 
#1 ·
52d & E Database

Thought I would start a new thread on this subject. As of now I have over 350 D numbers and right at 200 E numbers.
Steve

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ethically, I cannot publish the database. I and George have made it clear from the onset that the serial numbers will not be published. This was done to alleviate any fear of the owners that they would see their gun number in the public domain. As I just finished answering this question to another individual, I can see publishing certain aspects of the database, such as "highest and lowest group of CMP rifles", or there were X number of Internationals made between s/n so and so, etc.
I would be happy to answer any questions on the database that I can answer w/o divulging serial numbers. As everyone who has read my posts know, I have not mentioned any full serial numbers in my posts unless they are mine or are already in the public domain, such as a gun on Gunbroker.
The reason for the database to begin with was somewhat different. George and I both started to collect serial numbers unbeknownst to each other. I was primarily interested in the E numbers just to get to the bottom of how many and of what configuration were actually out there. George was as I remember trying to determine some info on the D's. I know he was interested in knowing where and how many of the original production was contracted to the government. I recall sending him all the factory production records I had on the 52's. We figured we might as pool our efforts and so I just turned over all my records to him and he would up date me periodically with his findings and a revised copy of the data base. We would then discuss the findings and any patterns that we could discern from the info. Consequently the info was pretty slow in coming and to this day I have just a fraction of total production on record. It is encouraging to see certain patterns develop though. The standard weight barrel info mentioned earlier is one. This is the type of info I would like to get out to the public.
Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Steve
I may have sent you the following. If not here are mine.
105381D standard barrel
108220D heavy barrel
109127D U S electro penciled on receiver heavy barrel
113332D U S electro penciled on receiver heavy barrel
Non matching bolts on the U S marked receivers

#7 ·
George's and my data were combined early on in this project. So yes, your guns should be in the list already. That is how George and I got hooked up years ago. In corresponding with each other, we found that we were both creating data bases. My original intent was just to collect info on the E's. George seemed to be more interested in the D's, so it worked out great. I just gave him all the numbers I had collected.
steve

#11 ·
Look what I just found for you...

I found this in saved e-mails:

To: George Stephens, aka, HEWLETTHEWLETT2
Re: Your post on RimfireCentral.com

Dear George:

oneraggedhole posted ad # 15005 for a Winchester 52D, and I am buying it. He advises the serial # is 109752D Ad below. Hope this is of some value. Let me know if you would like more info. I have not received it yet.

Sincerely, David

U.S. marked, Winchester 52 D Prone, heavy barrel, all original and complete but no handstop.

Serial number shows a 1963 date of manufacture.

Redfield International Match rear sight and Redfield Olympic globe front sight.

Included in the original Redfield packaging are ten Redfield Olympic inserts. Five metal and five plastic. All are in like new condition.

Bore and chamber have been borescoped and are in excellent condition. Bright and shiney and with well defined lands and grooves. Bolt locks up tight and ejection is brisk.

Wood shows very minor handling marks. No dents or dings. Metal is excellent with some minor and very light finishing scratches on the barrel. None are so deep as to be into the metal. I have tried to photograph the rifle so that no stone is unturned. I belive the pictures show aspects of the rifle's condition.

Rifle is in overall very good to excellent condition. I have captured all of the dings as shown in the pictures.

Absolutely no rust or signs of abuse at all.

Action is in excellent condition, it is smooth and locks up tight, the chamber and bore have all been bore scoped and are in excellent condition.

This rifle is unmolested. No modifications, no bedding, no spot bluing, nothing.

#15 · (Edited)
Steve,

I gave this information to George last year on my CMP 52D. Here it is again if you need it.

Serial # 119295D US marked on the receiver.

Heavy barrel 28" 1-1/16"at receiver and .875" at muzzle,flat crown in the white.

Redfield Olympic front sight and International receiver sight.

Factory trigger and hand stop and markman stock with rear sling swivel.

Bolt does not have the serial number etched on it. George had told me that this was fairly common on the CMP 52D's.

#17 ·
New to fourm

Steve, New to the site. Please add this to your data base. M52 # E 122752

Belongs to an Army buddy, don' t know too much about it, has a hair trigger I can tell you that. 16x Unertl mounted. Shooting the staples off of the paper targets @ 25... he is doing his best to gather more info and photos to follow.

thanks
Tim

#21 ·
Thanks for the number. It is really interesting in that I have about 20 numbers in the 105XXX range, and well over half of them are std wt barrels. When you get later in the D production, you seldom see a std wt brl. Just another interesting facet of the database info.
Steve

#20 ·
Searching for a lost brother ?

Some time back I discovered another shooter here who had the Remington 40x with the next serial number to mine, first year of production too. With the data base, and with the ok from the owners, could match up close family members. And if someone wants to sell, the opportunity is there for owning consecutive numbered rifles.

#23 ·
I would like to thank all the respondants to the data base posting. So far I have received about 20 new D numbers, and 5-6 new E numbers.
Keep em coming..., and please include the configuration, such as Marksman stocked, International, std wt barrel, heavy wt barrel, hollow bolt, flat solid bolt, or anything out of the ordinary such as an E with D characteristics etc.
In the case of the D, I need to know if it is a commercial or CMP gun.
Steve

#25 ·
Tapped 52E

Seewin, what have you found to be the lowest serial number 52E that has a drilled and tapped receiver? I would be interested in knowing to the nearest hundred if you cannot quote an exact serial number. I'm curious where the E marked receivers with non-tapped D configuration ended, and where the E marked tapped receivers began. Thanks!

#26 ·
varmintjager, thanks for the info. I did already have your number in the database. About the serial numbered bolts, it is surprising to me how many do not have the bolts numbered. Probably more w/o than with numbers. I originally felt the blank bolts were just replacements. I am beginning to find it hard to believe that so many bolts were lost, worn out or misplaced. Perhaps Winchester did not serialize some bolts in the CMP rifles?? Not sure what the thinking was, but definitely a possibility. Any thoughts??
Steve

#30 ·
My E

My E number is E 123540.

Came from winchester in a Free laminate Thumb Hole stock with both the flat and hook butt plates. Has the factory Red glass bedding.

Has the strirup style hand support.

Has Redfield Mk8 international rear and the long International front sights.

Bolt is Numbered to the rifle.

Did have the Hand stop and Freeland cuff sling but the first owner has them on another E he still ownes.

No date on the barrel like on D and C 52's.

Barrel has the Recessed crown.

Both the Receiver and barrel are the Earlier Gloss Bluing insteed of the later matt type.

Donald

#32 ·
My E number is E 123540.

Came from winchester in a Free laminate Thumb Hole stock with both the flat and hook butt plates. Has the factory Red glass bedding.

Has the strirup style hand support.

Has Redfield Mk8 international rear and the long International front sights.

Bolt is Numbered to the rifle.

Did have the Hand stop and Freeland cuff sling but the first owner has them on another E he still ownes.

No date on the barrel like on D and C 52's.

Barrel has the Recessed crown.

Both the Receiver and barrel are the Earlier Gloss Bluing insteed of the later matt type.

Donald
Thanks for the number. Your 52 falls right in between several other Internationals, which kind of leads me to believe these were built in lots at the custom shop.
By the way Winchester quit dating the barrels on their guns around 1956. I have never seen any Winchester with a date later than 56. So, many of the C's and all of the later D & E's were not stamped(that I am aware of).
Steve

#31 ·
Bolt

John,

I'm not currently at home to let you know the serial. When I get back I'll let you know. Doubt it will mean a lot unless it falls within a huge block because of random assembly.

David,

If you buy it new or know the history of it. On the other hand If you don't know the history I don't feel you can assume anything. I might guess if it was a DCM/CMP it might be a replacement. Strange things may have occurred there.

#33 · (Edited)
52-i

Hi Steve,

Your quote: "Thanks for the number. Your 52 falls right in between several other Internationals, which kind of leads me to believe these were built in lots at the custom shop. "

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren,t all the original "E's" Internationals for the first years until "D" parts were becoming exhausted? Thereby all the early Internationals prior to 197? were "the lot" as there were no others at the time. Or , might this one fall at a later date. After the merge I'm sure they picked up a few receivers (lot) but not by serial so to equate with a serial block is hard especially since the International was not a hot seller.

Just wondering if an easy to fill out form with specific questions, serial, round receiver or sight flats, matte/ polish, etc., might be helpful in the process of gathering the needed info. I know its easy for me not to always recall needed info.

bjm