Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New CZ .17 Hornet Rifling failure

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  newbie2 
#1 · (Edited)
https://picload.org/view/dalrrroi/screenshot_2018-03-11-18-24-01.png.htmlHi at all,

I have bought a new CZ 527 varmint in 17 hornet. During the initial cleaning bevor firing my first round i did notice a strange failure in the land and groove pattern. About 35mm (2 inch) from the muzzle crown down the barrel the rifling is not existing for about 2mm, it looks like a ring :confused::confused::confused:

I will send the rifle back for waranty.

So please excuse that it is not a rimfire, and i am probably being wrong in this forum, but 17 hmr is the same bore, so please let me know if i am the only person who dicovered such a failure. I asked google like mad and did also an extensive picture search etc... can´t find any information.

Pleasefind attached picture.
It is not a shadow, i can feel the fault with a toothpick slided over.

https://picload.org/view/dalrrroi/screenshot_2018-03-11-18-24-01.png.html

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi at all,

I have bought a new CZ 527 varmint in 17 hornet. During the initial cleaning bevor firing my first round i did notice a strange failure in the land and groove pattern. About 35mm (2 inch) from the muzzle crown down the barrel the rifling is not existing for about 2mm, it looks like a ring :confused::confused::confused:

I will send the rifle back for waranty.

So please excuse that it is not a rimfire, and i am probably being wrong in this forum, but 17 hmr is the same bore, so please let me know if i am the only person who dicovered such a failure. I asked google like mad and did also an extensive picture search etc... can´t find any information.

Pleasefind attached picture.

It is not a shadow, i can feel the fault with a toothpick slided over.

Picture links don't work for me.

#4 ·
IT IS NOT A FAULT

So today i did get in touch with CZ. They told me that this groove in the rifling near the muzzle is intendet as accuracy enhancer, a special design for this Barrel (caliber 17 Hornet)

I told them, that it would be wise to write this in the Manual. (not shock others)

But first i was happy about that my gun is fine :)

The rifling after the groove area is fine, but my camera can´t focus both areas.:(

#7 ·
That is a tongue in cheek comment on CZ's answer that having a ring in the barrel 2 inches from the muzzle and claiming it is an accuracy enhancement.
I would liken to to a barrel that had a bullet stuck in the bore and another round was resulting in a ring in the barrel.

#11 ·
I don't buy the explanation at all. I would call CZ and ask to speak with the head gunsmith. I also would not shoot it until I was comfortable with the second opinion. If not, I would begin climbing further up the chain of command. Also, document who, what, when, etc. so you are 100% certain of your conversations.

Just what I would do. But, please keep us informed.

#14 ·
Hello,

My appoplgies i am late as hell with my reply! To all interested in how it shoots, i did my load test´s and found, this rifle is a graet shooter.

Loves the 25 grain berger Part number 17308, 0.0010 of the lands on VN 120 Powder, or RS Swiss RS36 Powder.If i can do my part it is consistent 10 shots within 2 centimeters at 100 Meter in indoor range from a rest.

Also the Nosler 20 grain Varmagedon Part Number 30531 on same powders.

To sammi specs OAL it shoots 5 cm groupes. I did alterthe magazine to acept the longer loaded cartriges.

I shoot this rifle a lot, because of the economical bullet price and the small powder consumption.

Our crows here on my farm are smart and they learned about my skill behind my Savage .22LR MK2 FV (;.

Now with good wind conditions i can shoot minute of crow out to 200 Meters reliable.

Wish all the best from Austria!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.