Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 hunting pictures thread.

71K views 447 replies 95 participants last post by  huntsman22 
#1 ·
#165 · (Edited)
I've done both... normally on a hunt where I've carried rifle and the shotgun & didn't use the rifle I start doubting my decision to carry both and hunts that I only carry shotgun I see a coyote...

That one in the pic was dropped 35yds from me with my Mossberg 835 shooting 3.5" #6s. I was setup under a tree in a pasture, made some yelps on a friction call. Laid call on ground beside me, looked up and that coyote was running straight at me like I was pulling it in on a rope! Once it got close, I let the lead fly. Once hit, it did a back flip...one shot, one kill [emoji6]

Next spring, I'll probably carry my new Foxtrot Mike FM9 for the coyotes...it's light and accurate out to 100yds...at least that's as far as I've shot it since bringing it home last Thursday...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

#166 · (Edited)
Reminds me of when my son shot his first turkey. We were calling and had a gobbler responding and walking in. All of a sudden two coyotes run out and start triangulating on the decoy. They had to have been thinking what an easy dinner as the turkey was not running away. He asked if he should shoot one, since it was only 20 yards away or so. I told him no, I would rather have a turkey. I started stamping my feet and made some noise and scared them off. It must have been a sight...the coyotes were probably trying to figure out what this camo blob was growling at them. As soon as they left, a few jakes came running in. It all worked out. This is the same kid in the pic earlier in the thread. Time flies!

#167 ·
Out for Gobblers this morning and I think I discovered why I'm not seeing or hearing much sign. These guys are making a huge come back. Can you see the little masked egg snatcher?

There he is ...

Lucky for him he's out of season. But, it wasn't all bad news in these woods. Every where I went these guys were squacking at me like crazy. I must have seen 10 or twelve and heard many more. This fall is looking up because I haven't seen this many squirrels outside of a suburban neighborhood in years.

#168 · (Edited)
Nice, I see 2 of the little...

Nice, I see 2 of the little rascals!!! Shoot the bottom one first then if the upper one didn't disappear it would be their turn next!!! And yes raccoons are very efficient nest predators, but so are foxes, skunks and opossums and with fur prices so low... gonna be tough for the turkeys.
God Bless, Frank.

#170 ·
Bradical...

Bradical if that is your wooden tree stand I hope you plan on giving that stand a very thorough going over. Wood rotting, nails pulling out, wind and tree movement loosening things up, etc... Treestand deaths in some years equal firearms related hunting deaths, at least in Virginia. Wear a 4-point harness whenever you leave the ground and be safe.
God Bless, Frank.

#171 · (Edited)
Bradical if that is your wooden tree stand I hope you plan on giving that stand a very thorough going over. Wood rotting, nails pulling out, wind and tree movement loosening things up, etc... Treestand deaths in some years equal firearms related hunting deaths, at least in Virginia. Wear a 4-point harness whenever you leave the ground and be safe.
God Bless, Frank.
Good advice, tfrank. I'm not one for climbing into tree stands anyway. There are several of these jenky looking tree stands on this massive 220-acre property. But I don't think any of them are used anymore because there are as many or more modern ones set up. This owner is very particular as to who he allows on his property to hunt. As it turned out I had meet him four other times at the farm I have been hunting over the last several years - right across the street. (There is a lesson for all the young hunters out there. Always treat everyone you meet with polite respect. It costs you nothing and you never know who you're talking with.) This new 220-acre continuous track now links the 150 I've been hunting with their 100 acres across the street and down the road. I now have foot access to 570 continuous acres. :D

I've been making the most of this "slow time" and getting out to these gorgeous properties 4 to 5 times a week. Sometimes twice a day. Check out a couple of pics from this afternoon:

And in the woods, can you find him?

And, we actually caught a groundhog standing up too. Which with Eika along has been a real challenge since she sprints out in front - to find a bird - and puts all the groundhogs safely back in their holes. :rolleyes: Well today, I approached this field from the north and up from a creek bed. As I came up into the field and the slope starts to level out I spy what could be a branch sticking up out of the grass or a groundhog about 120 yards up to the left. I glass it and confirm groundhog. Fortunate, Eika is getting better at a quite "whoa" and coming to heal. With Eika I don't have time to set things up as I'd like so I dial in my guesstimate (+4 clicks) and freehand center mass. I caught her through the left front tooth and out her snout. As I approached while keeping Eika at heal to see if I actually connected, I spy her trying to crawl off. A center mass shoot from my Single Six stopped her escape. Then a quick one to the head mercifully ended it. Now what does a pointer do after all this excitement?

#172 ·
What am I looking for???

What am I looking for??? The squirrel on the stump or the "door to nowhere"!!!
And for some reason that picture of your pup at point on that groundhog, reminded me of a time I shot a groundhog, then tied it upright to a small sapling. Found my cousin and walked him by and got him to shoot that groundhog 3 times with a .243 @ about 80 yards!!!:rolleyes::D A very fun and memorable day. Thanks for helping me remember it!!!:bthumb:
I now have foot access to 570 continuous acres.
Oh I suspect that you know just how lucky you are. Some of the "farm" pictures certainly do bring back some very good memories from the late 60's when I was fortunate enough to have the run of 2 dairy farms.
God Bless, Frank.

#173 · (Edited)
tfrank, O boy! Yes, I know how lucky I am. I hope I can take many groundhogs off these two farms this summer. The groundhogs really do a job on soy beans. The farmer estimates each hog costs him close to a grand in crop losses during the year. And, these fields are surrounded by holes. His son used to keep them at bay, but with his own work and raising a young family he just doesn't have the time. He built that "door to now where." It's a very nice little hunting cabin with a wood stove. Ha! I didn't even realize it was captured in that picture. I snapped it because there are soo many squirrels running around here. :)

Hopefully, I'll be able to earn my keep and take out many groundhogs. I bought myself a BMAG .17WSM and my son a .17HMR barrel for his CZ455 to give us a range edge over these wary hogs. I anticipate that 200+ yard shots are going to be common.

I hope to take out some coyote too. I also plan to follow dotchief's lead once the egg raiders are back in season.

#190 ·
This evening ...

I was set up to take a ground hog at about 160 yards, if he showed himself again, and Eika spied this skunk coming in at us 40 yards out from our six. Good girl! Fortunately, she stayed on point and listened to "Wait" not bolting after it until dispatched. But, then she of course rolled in the after spray. :rolleyes: Still, not nearly as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.