Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New B22 Magnum FVSR

6K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  wahoowad 
#1 ·
I had my gunshop order me one and I picked it up yesterday. While at the shop I compared it to the older model he had on the shelf.

After looking it over here are my thoughts.

Stock - The new stock has a better grip angle than the older model and it fits my larger frame better than the original. I wish I had taken photos side by side. It has a higher cheek rest for optics. The barrel channel is off by a small amount so one side of the barrel may be lightly touching the stock. The stock has a removable floor that when removed floats the barrel the entire length but after removal it isn't as stiff. I will shoot with it on and off an see how it does. The stock has metal pillars so mounting the action is rock solid. I was very happy to see this. The stock is sort of futuristic looking kind of like the Magpul or Ruger stocks. It looks neat but I prefer a classic wood stock.

Cone breech - eliminates need for ejector slots

Box magzine - a drastic improvement over the older metal magazines

Tang safety - I am a lefty so I really like this

Barrel threaded to Action and held with a barrel nut - similar to their centerfire rifles.

The action seems a bit rough when opening the bolt. If feels like I can feel the tooling marks. I dissasembled it and greased it and this helped a little. Hopefully this will smooth out with time.

I really like the rail on top for mounting optics.

The thread protector looks nice and my AAC Element 2 suppressor threaded on easily and looks great.

I was surprised by how light the rifle is. If it shoots well maybe I will leave the plastic stock on but will probably get an aftermarket wood stock.

I hope to take it out soon and see how accurate it is.

Pics coming soon.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I just got back from the range after shooting the 22B Magnum FVSR. I was shooting at 50 yds with a fixed 4X scope. This was not ideal at this range but I was pleasantly surprised by the out of the box accuracy of this rifle. All I did was clean it, grease the bolt, and remove the tray under the barrel to free float it.

I should have shot another group with the Gold Dots. The flyer really opened up this group. Sorry about the grease on the target.

It loved Hornady VMax! According to Nikon SpotOn this was a good impact point at 50 yds for a 125 yd zero.

After shooting the group with the Hornady I put a 2" spinner at 100 yds and my brother spun it over and over with ease by aiming at the bottom of the 2" steel. We were both impressed by this rifle.

A higher magnification scope would improve these groups even more. I am also hoping a good break in will tighten them up even more.

These groups were shot suppressed with an AAC Element 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Thanks for the pics. You seem to be having the same issue I had with my MKII. The scope base is too long in the front and prevents you from bringing the scope back as much as you want. Would really like to cut it off a little or get a different base but one of my screws was completely stuck so I just went with it.

Which rings are you using?

What is the noise level compared to high velocity 22lr when suppressed?

#9 ·
The rings are Warne low QD rings. Medium rings would allow the scope to slide back more but I like mine as low as possible. The eye relief is perfect with the scope almost touching the rail. Suppressed 22 WMR is quieter than unsuppressed 22 LR and about the same as suppressed hi velocity 22 LR.

#13 ·
Another evil black rifle. Better keep it locked up three ways to Sunday when it's not with in your direct line of sight for fear it might do something evil especially since it is now extra extra quiet.

It does look nice though.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

#15 ·
They are not as easy to load as 10/22 magazines. I fired about 70 rounds and it functioned perfectly. I like that it is flush with the bottom of the stock. I haven't been able to find extra magazines to purchase and have been wondering if the 17 hmr magazine are the same? The magazine says 22 WMR on it and 17 HMR magazines say 17 HMR on them as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.