Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

High Polish Blue Bearcat

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  chicharrones 
#1 ·
I’m new to the Bearcat scene and just saw an ad for the high polished blued version . I think it’s a Lipsey variation.
Just wondering what the Bearcat community thinks of this model .
Thanks in advance.

#3 · (Edited)
I don't own one , but I like the looks them . Wish I could hold one before I bought one . I've heard they were small, but some folks love them . Kirby
I love mine, after new ejector housings and Wolff springs. I'm not much help on the blue, I'm very big on stainless. The prettiest bluing in the world wouldn't get my money.

Photo of the high polish from Lipsey's.

Googling, most places are out of stock. CDNN shows the high polished on a special sale for $450. List is $719. Their standard blued Bearcat is more, $490. List on it is $639.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-new-bearcatr-22lr-4-polished-blue.html#.XIlD_nB8C00

In looking for this, I found that the adjustable sight version is now made in stainless, though I prefer the fixed sights, it's nice to know.

#7 ·
Cute, even lovely...but too small for me :(
The S&W 'kit gun' was too small also; that is, nice to carry and handle but tough to shoot well.

#8 ·
I recently got one of these Lipsey's High Polished Fluted Cylinder Bearcats, it's quite nice for the money. Only negative was the 0.010" Barrel/Cylinder Gap so I questioned Ruger about this being excessive and they said "send it in" on their dime.

They quoted me $345.00 to rebarrel the piece but could not provide a specific B/C Gap other than it would fall between .004" and .012" which is their spec range for this piece.

Since the whole gun only cost $399.00 I saw no sense in rebarreling it just to end up with the same gap and a non-original gun so I asked them to return it - again on their dime.

It's disappointing that modern CNC equipment can't do any better than this but I will shoot an enjoy it - along with my Freedom Arms Revolvers with their .0015" B/C Gap!

George Jr

#11 ·
I recently got one of these Lipsey's High Polished Fluted Cylinder Bearcats, it's quite nice for the money. Only negative was the 0.010" Barrel/Cylinder Gap........ could not provide a specific B/C Gap other than it would fall between .004" and .012" which is their spec range for this piece.
How are you measuring the B/C gap? It should be measured with the cylinder pushed forward. Then to get the other important 'endshake' measurement, you measure with the cylinder pushed back, then forward. The difference is the endshake. Ideal endshake is .001, but up to .006 is considered good.

I bought a stainless Single-Six several years ago that had a .012 gap. Ruger took it back and rebarreled it to .005. The action was smoother, too. All on their dime.

My two stainless Bearcats have B/C gaps of .004 and .005. I prefer between .003 and .007, so I lucked out. Both endshakes are .003.

#10 · (Edited)
Birdshead, not Bisley in the ' ammoland' link. Id like to see a Shopkeeper mdl in the Sgl Six also.
The first pic in the thread is the std Bearcat grip. As I understand it Wm. Ruger liked the little Remington pocket model and the Remmy grip is a bit different than the Colt's, especially up in the hump. So yeah, it may be a little more 'Bisley like' there. If the return at the bottom wasnt there and it was a little bit longer it would be close in shape if not in size.
I do think a mini-Bisley Bearcat would be cool; maybe if they used the adj. sight Bearcat as the platform.......

#12 ·
First thing I do is load up the cylinder with cartridges, the way it is fired; ie, when it matters, then check the gap and end-shake.
Imo if a 'factory built gun' happens to end up on the min. spec anywhere you are just lucky. If the whole thing is in spec and shoots to the sights with your ammo of choice Never Sell It.

#14 ·
I just picked this bearcat up yesterday and was looking around for some info. I bought it used like new in the box from a lady shooter. Appears to be one of the Lipsey's fluted barrel, high polish models but says nothing about that on the box. I'd never even seen one in person but liked the Bearcat looks and always looking for a deal. I was surprised how dainty the thing was when I met to buy it. I like it! and is solid and feels well made. My single six needed a little sister.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.